Where to eat in Paris

taby027

Here is my dilemma, I am more than happy to buy baguettes etc for lunch to cut costs etc whilst in Paris, however bread does not go well with me

is it easy to buy takeaway salads as well at these places

I know it is a strange question so would be great for some advise here

thanks

Your best bet would be to find a chain restaurant (even a McDonalds) or to purchase items at a grocery store. Like in America, most of them have some prepared salads, sushi, etc. Just make sure to bring your own utensils as most grocery stores do not have these.

Oh My God! McDonalds while in Paris! Lets think about this... France has some of the best food and restaurants in the world, Paris has some of the best food in France, etc etc. It is possible to eat well in Paris without paying a fortune, but it takes a little homework. Try checking out the information on Jack-Travel.com. Jack is a diamond dealer from Antwerp who has made knowing Paris a lifelong avocation...and Jack likes to find the good restaurants that do not charge tourist prices. Over the years this man has helped find us great places to eat as well as some really cute Left Bank hotels.

Hank

I have eaten at McDonalds in Paris (I have also eaten frog legs at restaurants with no English on the menu) and for someone who has dietary, time AND cost restrictions - it can be a good option. It can also be an interesting cultural lesson (and I live in Germany, I know) - as to what is available on the menu at a McDonalds in the USA vs. one in Europe.

I have eaten at McDonalds in Paris ... and for someone who has dietary, time AND cost restrictions - it can be a good option.
Three replies, and two recommendations to eat at McDonalds in Paris? Blimey! I'm with Hlitner on this one. Paris is one of the food capitals of the world. How difficult can it be to find something to eat without stepping foot inside Macca's?

We were in Paris in 2000 and 2003 and we found the price of food to be quite reasonable. There are lots of cheap options without having to walk into McDonalds!!! Lots of street cafes and little shops have different types of rolls to choose from. Sometimes we had the plate of the day - which is usually main +dessert or entre +main which was often a really filling meal. If we splurged for lunch or dinner then we usually went to the local supermarket for rolls, salad, cold meats etc and don't forget the bottle of wine for 3Euros. You can make it as cheap or expensive as you want and still enjoy great french food. Enjoy - it is a fabulous city!

I would go for the 'street cafe' thing, especially for lunch: go the dish of the day (they always have daily specials, tho' these may be the same every day....), perhaps with a salad and a small glass of wine. Generally good food, excellent value, and you see a slice of parisian life.

Our favorite budget items during our Paris trip were crepes to go, a bowl of french onion soup, or even a plate of yummy escargot (you can dip the free bread in the tasty broth after finishing all the snails).

Also, in addition to eating at a few french restaurants, we actually enjoyed eating at the Chinese restaurant near our hotel - prices were right, portions were decent, faster service, fewer smoking patrons, and kid-friendly staff.

Enjoy your time in Paris.

• 5 years later...

I love those baguette's and so different from USA try the one with the hard boiled egg, bit of ham and butter; but they also make a great little take away quishe that is very easy to eat wrapped in paper and so many great pastries too. I was in Strasburg France in 2010 and I the the quishe and it was sooooooooo good.

Thanks for the little wine bottle tip :)

Can anyone reccommend a nice place for dinner in Paris that is where I plan to spend my money? Not too over the top. I was in Paris in 1995 so I am sure things have changed in the price of food market.

Sailing on Oct 12 Reflection Inaugural

Thank you.

Sailed on:

Carnival Fascination

Carnival Victory

Carnival Legend

Carnival Miracle

Celebrity Galaxy

Celebrity Horizon

Celebrity Constellation

Celebrity Millenium

Celebrity Eclipse

NCL Dawn (Twice)

NCL Spirit (Twice)

NCL Jewel

NCL Epic

Disney Majic

Viking River Cruise - Rhine

You can find takeaway food in Paris. They have great bakeries that serve all sorts besides pastry.

We did end up eating breakfast at the hotel in the AM. Then went next door to the grocery store and grabbed some fruit and water for a snack while touring. Most of the museums have little restaurants where you can get quiche or a salad.

I love those baguette's and so different from USA try the one with the hard boiled egg, bit of ham and butter; but they also make a great little take away quishe that is very easy to eat wrapped in paper and so many great pastries too. I was in Strasburg France in 2010 and I the the quishe and it was sooooooooo good.

Thanks for the little wine bottle tip :)

Can anyone reccommend a nice place for dinner in Paris that is where I plan to spend my money? Not too over the top. I was in Paris in 1995 so I am sure things have changed in the price of food market.

Sailing on Oct 12 Reflection Inaugural

Thank you.

Sailed on:

Carnival Fascination

Carnival Victory

Carnival Legend

Carnival Miracle

Celebrity Galaxy

Celebrity Horizon

Celebrity Constellation

Celebrity Millenium

Celebrity Eclipse

NCL Dawn (Twice)

NCL Spirit (Twice)

NCL Jewel

NCL Epic

Disney Majic

Viking River Cruise - Rhine

My recommendation for dinner that is not over the top as you put it, but still very, very good traditional French cuisine is Le Timbre, in St Germain de Pres, with a fixed price menu. It is very small (Le Timbre translates as "the postage stamp") so reservations are necessary. We also loved the seafood at Le Dome in Montparnasse, and although more expensive, worth treating yourself if you love fresh seafood. Escargot is brought to the table before you even order.

Le Timbre's website:

http://www.restaurantletimbre.com/le%20timbre%20.html

Le Dome's website is in French, so I won't list it, but you can probably find the contact info from another website through google.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived