Order Items not On the Menu

asctony

Since it's not a published perk, as the Platinum, elite and suite perks are, it must be a regular thing that is available to anyone. This ought to sure change the service in the dining rooms when everyone starts to order anything, anytime.

Ron

Stepping back in to say... while I have only once or twice ever ordered something that was not anywhere on the menu, I can certainly see why frequent passengers on Princess would choose to do so. The menu gets OLD, and that includes in the specialty restaurants, if you sail frequently. As they seem to very rarely update the menus, ordering off the menu is your option... or choosing to cruise with another line, which is where my DH is at this point. He was tickled pink the first 2 times we sailed on Caribbean Princess because they offered Cafe Caribe as a way for him to 'escape the MENU', but now that we've been there done that a few times, and we actually prefer to dine in the restaurants rather than an albeit upscale buffet, he's ready to try something different yet again.

If having the option of ordering off the menu will keep a frequent cruiser loyal to the line, I believe that Princess would prefer that to losing the passenger to another carrier.

Anyway, that's my take on the issue. :)

If having the option of ordering off the menu will keep a frequent cruiser loyal to the line, I believe that Princess would prefer that to losing the passenger to another carrier.

:)

I agree. As a 22 time Princess cruiser, with 7 more booked, I know Princess likes to please. Yes, I am a picky eater, but usually don't ask for specialties since I probably wouldn't care for those either. I have had the head waiter and maitre de' beg me to try something different, but I usually end up with chicken breast and broccoli anyway. :) When you're on a ship for 5,6, 7 weeks or more (as we frequently are), you always know the first night will have filet of Zander. Doesn't bother me; I don't eat filet of anything. :D If however you are requesting a specialty, do request it a day or two earlier. They're happy to oblige, though they can't always do it.

Arlene

I have only requested a special meal once, and I went into it knowing that if I had been told "no," I would have ordered off the regular menu.

Last May, on our first Caribbean Princess cruise (our first Princess cruise, too), my husband and I went to Sabatini's with some friends on the same night Princess served rack of lamb in the dining room. We didn't know that had been on the menu until the next night when our tablemates told us (because I mentioned that I hadn't seen the lamb on the menu yet, knowing that it would be served sometime during the cruise). If I'd known, I probably would have chosen another night to go to Sabitini's.

Anyway, our tablemates suggested that we ask the waiter if they could serve us the lamb on the next night (the last dinner of the cruise)--they were frequent Princess cruises and said it probably would be no trouble. I asked the waiter, and he checked with the kitchen and came back and told me that they couldn't do it. Then a few minutes later (NOT at my request), the head waiter came over to our table and said that it would be no trouble, would we both like the lamb the next night, and how would we like it cooked? So on the Friday night, we got just about the best lamb I've ever had, and we generously tipped the head waiter and our table waiters (we would have tipped them beyond the auto-tip anyway, but were even more generous because they had accommodated my request). I was very appreciative of the fact that they had honored my request, but also would not have been upset had they said "no."

I think that if Princess gets the feedback that passengers are excessively abusing this practice, or being rude/nasty about it whether or not they "get their way," they might start to phase it out. All I know is that, because of that request being honored, as well as the overall very enjoyable first cruise on Princess, we are much more likely to chose them again as opposed to another cruise line.

Since it's not a published perk, as the Platinum, elite and suite perks are, it must be a regular thing that is available to anyone. This ought to sure change the service in the dining rooms when everyone starts to order anything, anytime.
It's not a matter of ordering anything any time. And it's not an unpublished "perk" but rather a service that is, and has been, available to all passengers for a long time on Princess. It's not at all unusual, once he/she gets to know you, for a waiter to suggest or bring something to the table that isn't on the menu. Perhaps this happens more often in traditional dining since you do get to know your waiter, Section Captain and Maitre D better than you do in Anytime. I've haven't seen these types of suggestions during the two times I did Anytime dining but I see it all the time in traditional. They're not hiding the fact that they will bring you something extra/special or reserving it for Platinum/Elite/Suite passengers.

We were on a 11 night cruise and had traditional dining and my then 5 yr old son asked for cinamon buns for dinner - I laughted and told him they were served at breakfast - the waiter went off and found a plateful of them and DS had 3 for dinner:D

That same cruise we had another couple and there 2 kids at the table with us and the Father never looked at a menu once but requested the first night to have 2 steak, a plate of fries and a plate of rice and that is what he ate for 11 nights - no appetizers, salad, soup or dessert - his wife said that is all he eats at home!!!!:eek: :eek:

Which would then lead to the entirely unwelcome spectacle of the waiters and galley staff lining up to sing "Yes, We Have No Bananas" each cruise, 1) to preclude any requests, and 2) for your dining and dancing enjoyment!.

:D :) :D

Just a minute there, spongerob! I was promised that there would be no singing and dancing waiters on Princess! ;)

During our recent 28 day Asia cruise on the Sapphire, the beginning of the cruise, rocky road ice cream was on the menu. DH mentioned to the Head Waiter that he would like it again. After that, every night they brought him rocky road ice cream (which was delicious) and after a few days, brought a serving for all 6 of us at the table. The Head Waiter asked us if there was anything special we would like to request... we had buffalo mozzarella with tomatoes, carpaccio, a shrimp dish, eggplant with mozzarella and some dishes I've forgotten. After the first leg of the cruise, the menus started over again and so I began to ask for certain appetizers to be made as a main course. That really worked nicely. We did "donate" to the waiters and head waiter as TJ mentioned, at the end of each cruise segment... which was our pleasure!

Sandy

During our recent 28 day Asia cruise on the Sapphire, the beginning of the cruise, rocky road ice cream was on the menu. DH mentioned to the Head Waiter that he would like it again. After that, every night they brought him rocky road ice cream (which was delicious) and after a few days, brought a serving for all 6 of us at the table. The Head Waiter asked if there was anything else special we would like to request... we had buffalo mozzarella with tomatoes, carpaccio, a shrimp dish, eggplant with mozzarella and some dishes I've forgotten. After the first leg of the cruise, the menus started over again and so I began to ask for certain appetizers to be made as a main course. That really worked nicely. We did "donate" to the waiters and head waiter as TJ mentioned, at the end of each cruise segment... which was our pleasure!

Sandy

The original topic got quite out of hand yesterday so I'm going to close it for a while and see if opening it up in a day or so will cool things off.. like others, it's a good thread that took a personal detour.:( . it's turning around so let's see what a day off will do, eh?:rolleyes: :confused:

Archived