Brilliance Transatlantic April 16, 2007

wingsrcl

I'm afraid to even guess what the name of the drink might be! As for NCL, Dennis doesn't like them either. However we read on the boards here that the new ships are nice. It would be good to be dropped off in Boston and not have to deal with the flight back. It's also nice to move the clocks back along the voyage! There are so many ships leaving Europe so late this year. We used to be able to get on the Transatlantics by the end of October.

There is more money to be made with European voyages than in the Caribbean. The Caribbean is basically overflowing with ships and there are just few ports that can handle a giant ship. Ask me on the cruise and I will explain the problems than many of the islands have with the ships.

In any case, with the combination of Mount Gay Rum and Grand Marnier... the drink is called a Gay Marine. I just thought... that was a funny name.

We like NCL, don't get me wrong. But their attitude has been moving away from being Gay friendly and positive. I find it odd that so many of the Gay charters and Gay groups are all moving away from NCL. Things like that just don't happen. If you have a group that is happy with you, it takes much more to get them to move.

I understanding their cutting the ties with that one group that caused all the problems on RCL (though it's still not clear, nor will it ever be, if there really was a problem of if people just invented it.) But the second group definitely had a good relationship with NCL for over 4 years and NCL cut the group and provided no real explanation. It's just odd.

When I wrote to NCL, I got one of their normal non-commital letters that basically translated to "call us if you book again and will give you a trinket of appreciation." When what I wanted was someone to take me seriously and I wasn't interested in getting a credit or anything of the sort. I wanted a serious look at my complaint.

I realize it's hard for the cruise lines to distinguish between real complaints all the chaff that they get from people attempting to et a free credit. You would have thought that a letter that came with copies sent to IGLTA would have garnered a bit more consideration than trying to "tip" me to come back.

I'm sorry to hear they didn't respond to your letter in a personal manner. It seems to be the norm these days. Sad isn't it? Did you guys manage to get your table together ? I hope so!

Our roll call here sure has been on the "slow mode".

Ephraim, Iberia is starting service to Boston in the next couple of weeks. They are having some incredible sales until dec 31st, I'm finding round trip with taxes as low as $500. to either BCN or MAD. I'm not crazy about Iberia, but the price is right!

Happy Jewish Passover and a Happy Easter celebration to everyone here.

Ruy

I'm sorry to hear they didn't respond to your letter in a personal manner. It seems to be the norm these days. Sad isn't it? Did you guys manage to get your table together ? I hope so!

Our roll call here sure has been on the "slow mode".

Ephraim, Iberia is starting service to Boston in the next couple of weeks. They are having some incredible sales until dec 31st, I'm finding round trip with taxes as low as $500. to either BCN or MAD. I'm not crazy about Iberia, but the price is right!

Happy Jewish Passover and a Happy Easter celebration to everyone here.

Ruy

It's become the norm in the industry. So many people send them complaints just to get discounts they really can't tell the real complaints and problems from the stupidity. And some of it is really stupid stuff. They will complain about anything and blame the cruise line.

Never flown with Iberia. We have a limited selection of airlines in Montreal. Many people don't even realize that United Airlines doesn't fly here, at all. I don't think they ever have.

We sometimes drive down to Burlington, VT to fly. We once drove from Montreal to Logan for a flight... but it was a free flight.

Happy Passover and Easter. Eat a chocolate fertility symbol!

I know the calorie count we will be consuming the two weeks we will be onboard. I'm avoiding the chocolates! However I baked a great french pastry tart with pears, apricots, and berries this week. I took it to a party and it was a hit.

HI All, sorry been out of touch, I dropped and broke my laptop:eek: I finally forced myself to use the old computer upstairs.:( Donald driving me nuts (again) ;) Two hours to pick out three formal and three semi-formal outfits, then tells me im overweight !!!! He never did specify if was me or the luggage !?!?;) Have we added any more people to the table ? Ephraim ,Glad to hear your passports arrived. My countdown starts today. Is anyone going to the Sailaway meet at the skybar ??

Well, Yves and I are overweight and it's not our luggage!

So far, it's just the three couples. No one else has chimed in. I don't know about the sailaway, but it's likely.

My head just isn't there yet. There is so much else going on. We are going to visit my first cousin this weekend. Maybe it will hit me when we return. Haven't even laid a finger to pack, yet.

Not packed. Haven't finished with the Murder Mystery stuff. Haven't gotten my travel book for Spain. Haven't picked up my gift for the gift exchange.

I do have a new pair of Starbury's and a regret that I didn't buy a second pair.

Haven't packed here either - we also have two reservations for 3 nts in Barcelona post-cruise, and haven't decided which to cancel and which to keep.

Still deciding what my plan will be regarding undergarments; on long cruises it REALLY makes a difference when there are self service laundries. We have done a transpacific and transatlantic, and both times had self laundry facilities that definately came in handy. What can I say, I'm cheap; don't want to pay the ship a fee to launder each undershort or pair of socks. At least some other lines had a fixed priced for a 'bag' of laundry. I guess we'll be doing hand washing in the sink and shower clothes line drying.

We also decided against taking a laptop; i'm not sure I like that decision though.

While weather in the low to mid 60's is pleasant enough, I actually though it would be about 10 degrees warmer; definitely a different packing plan.

Where is the reservation you want to cancel ? We were suppose to get an appartment for 6 days, but somehow, the person is no longer replying to any e-mail, we won't have time to make a deposit, so we are now stuck doing new plans... with 2 days to go... great!

So, if your reservations is good (location, price, etc....), maybe we could take it over.

In the meantime, I have to e-mail some more hostels

Talk to you soon

We purchased new airline tickets to Florida. The weather in Boston is going to be awful on Sunday and Monday. Delta hasn't posted any travel advisory yet, and we can't afford to wait until they make a decision. What a mess! People here are worried about the marathon on Monday, which has never been cancelled before. They are warning runners to dress accordingly.

Robert, it seems to me the best solution for your underwear problem would be not to wear any. (I don't want to know about it) HA!

Just go through your closet and take the ones you really should retire, and throw them away as we go along.

Or just cough up the $1.20 for underwear and $1.00 for socks.

See you onboard!

Where is the reservation you want to cancel ? We were suppose to get an appartment for 6 days, but somehow, the person is no longer replying to any e-mail, we won't have time to make a deposit, so we are now stuck doing new plans... with 2 days to go... great!

So, if your reservations is good (location, price, etc....), maybe we could take it over.

In the meantime, I have to e-mail some more hostels

Talk to you soon

The hotel we are thinking of canceling is the AC Vilamari located at 34-36 Vilamari, which is east of the Plaza de Espana, off the main road, gran via de les cort catalanes. It is halfway between the espana and rocafort Metro stops.

We have reserved at an excellent rate, 112,75,75 Euros, for 4/29,5/1,2 respectively. You can check on trip advisor for more details. If those dates work for you, I would be more than happy to hold the reservation for; and either put your name on it too, or can actually check you in the 1st night.

I think we are going with my other reservation at The Apsis Gran Ronda, which seems about 9 blocks east, closer to the Universitat metro station. it is slightly more than the other hotel.

The reason why I was up in the air about the hotels is that The Vilamari includes a free mini bar, which provides free bottled water,soft drinks, and beer. Also, the hotel has a free snack/coffee bar! When we travel, we usually like to relax around 4-5 before dinner, so that free cofee/snack bar sounds real good!

Anyway, let me know if the dates work for you; I'm in no rush to cancwl it, since it is just a reservations hold, not prepaid.

Our last hotel was near the University. Maria Christina was the metro station. Awful location for us. It was so far and there wasn't very much open late and even the bus was difficult. Check the location and reviews on TripAdvisor just to make sure.

We are leaving on Sunday with plenty of time. They are expecting that it will already be over 0c here, so the snow should be melting again. We are going via Detroit. Montreal's airport hardly ever shuts down. Delays are almost always elsewhere.

Greetings!

Since our departure is rapidly approaching, it's about time I chimed in to say that my partner, David (48), and I (40) will be joining you. We've been together almost 17 years and have lived in southern Vermont for 14 years.

The pricing was so low that we'll be doing our first balcony cabin. Yes, we're what you might call frugal. We travel with one rolling bag each and bring some clothes that won't be returning to Vermont.

We're avid RCCL cruisers and did the Jewel of the Seas Transatlantic and Explorer of the Seas from Bayonne to the Caribbean last year.

We're flying U.S. Airways from Albany, NY at 6:00 AM on Monday morning and will be connecting in Pittsburgh to Miami. I'm a bit concerned about the weather, as we need to leave the house at 3:30 AM to drive to Albany. My thinking is that RCCL made the arrangements, several hundred people are probably coming from the Northeast, and the ship won't sail with that many people missing.

I can't wait to escape this winter weather. The trees are coated in white from yesterday's 8 inches, and the wind is howling.

Steve

Every week the ships leave with many people left behind. It's easy to catch up with the ship in the Caribbean, but a Transatlantic... I'm sure they would consider delaying for a few hours, but not more than that. The problem is not only the monday morning flights, but getting the flights in position on Sunday night. I would highly suggest you leave the day before. Here is a Usairways flight suggestion for you (there are seats available). Good luck and we will see you onboard. Ruy and Dennis

p.s. we have friends in Starksboro Vermont, know where that is ?

7:25 AM 15 Apr 2007

Albany, NY

2:41 PM 15 Apr 2007

Miami, FL 1061 / 1651

Stops: PHL Details / Seats

7 h 16 m

Ruy and Dennis - Amesbury MA WINGSRCL

Ephraim and Yves - Montreal QC EPHRAIM/YVES

Donald and Mark - Houston - TX SPARKY123/TXBEAR

Anthony and Robert - Philadelphia PA KWOKPOT

John and Mark - Rotterdam - Netherlands twogayboysrotterdam

Michael and ? - Rhode Island - RHODEISLANDCRUISER

David and Steve - Vermont - GENSTEVE

Ruy and Dennis,

Thanks for the flight information. Since RCCL and my travel agent made the air arrangements, do I have to go through them, or can I work directly with U.S. Airways. Remember, we're on HIGHLY discounted tickets.

I have worked in the travel industry for the past 14 years, so I understand the ins and outs (not what you're thinking) of the airlines.

Starksboro is between Bristol and Burlington, which are about 3 hours north of where we live. We're near the Stratton and Mount Snow ski areas "in the south."

Steve

Usually, the airline will work with you if it's weather related. Otherwise, it needs to go through RCCL.

That's one of the main problems with tickets bought through the cruise line. The airlines will often play these weird games with sometimes saying that you need to go through the cruise line and other times saying you should go directly with them. The same with the cruise line. If your flight is delayed, they will drop you and tell you that they were simply your "agent" and hold the airline responsible.

Call the airline and ask them. Remind them that your cruise is a transatlantic and if you can't get into Miami on time, the next stop is Ponta Delgada in the Azores... not a great place for them to fly you to. And if they play the RCCL game, ask them who will be on the plane, RCCL or you?

I agree with Ephraim. I would call UsAirways first. Hopefully they will change you without any problems. If they say no, ask for a supervisor... I think they will help you. Get on it straight away as even out of Boston flights are selling out on sunday like crazy. If you get your feet in Philadelphia there are always so many flights to so many Florida destinations, you could get on any of those. We are flying to Tampa and meeting some friends who were picking us up in Ft. Lauderdale on Sunday.

As for working in the Travel Industry, trust me we can relate to that! Sometimes it's more a curse then a blessing. :)

But we all survive don't we ?

On another subject, Ephraim help me pick up a place for a possible sail away mingle! Preferably outdoors weather permitting. Otherwise I'm sure we can all make an impressive entrance down the Grand Staircase in the dining room at 830pm, it's so Miss America. (HA!)

I'm wondering if either Yves or Ephraim could pass for either Anne-Marie Lelievre or Genevieve Poirier (they should know what I'm talking about). As for my background Giselle Bundchen shares some of the same tastes.

Actually, I had to look it up. Most people don't realize that we don't actually have a pageant anymore. It was decided that it was sexist and no TV station will cover it. (One more proof that Canada is very different from many other countries on earth).

If I resemble any lady, it would likely be Rita McNeil. Oh, bad joke!

I've never been on the Brilliance before. In fact, it's out first RCL cruise and our first transatlantic. But, from experience of previous attempts and looking at the map... Deck 12 in front of the doors leading from the stairs. The door that is between the game arcade and the Optix Teen Disco. At 4PM?

If no one else is there... I'm sure we can meet at a Gays R Us meeting that will be posted on the bulletin board where they post such meetings.

My experience on the Brilliance is someone needs to write a note to the Cruise Director requesting a "Friends of Dorothy" meeting. It takes her a couple of days to list the meeting on the daily program. There is no board posting meetings. Either way, Hollywood Odyssey lounge on deck 13 always attracts a familiar crowd. The Crown and Anchor lounge also becomes a nice place at night.

Maybe we should wait for the first meeting, as everyone tends to be busy on the first night. Another thing we did on our past transatlantics was a lunch in the dining room. That was fun.

Either way, we will probably be around the sky bar, upper deck of pool, outdoors for sail away.

I agree with you Ephraim, Canada indeed sets the standard for so many civilized decisions. We have a long list of issues we need to take care of over here before we can get to sexist pageants. Don't get me started! I'm always asking our friend Francois who lives in Toronto, if Quebec wouldn't be interested in aquiring Massachusetts.

I read some fabulous advice on Conde Nast Traveler, from an article called "Cruising the Wine Dark Sea" by Francine du Plesix Gray. Here it goes:

"A good cruise is an artificial paradise in which all controversial opinions must be suppressed to achieve the mutual quest for amicable jollity. Civil cruisers will do better to eschew all difficult themes, especially politics and sex, and to muzzle their dislike of George W. or, conservely, their enthusiasm for Hillary."

Dislike George ? What is she talking about!? HA!.

I contacted my travel agent, and he contacted RCCL. They said I need to work with UsAirways. I called them and got an agent who wasn't even aware of their own travel advisory. The best she could do was an additional $170.00 pp.

I think we'll take our chances with a hotel room in Albany on Sunday night and stick to the 6:00 AM flight on Monday. My bigger concern is our luggage. Although it's carry-on size, would we have to meet all the crazy TSA regs to bring them on?

Stay tuned...

Archived