Jellyfish Phobia...

We are cruising to Southern Carribean in January. Does anyone know about jellyfish this time of year? I'm phobic and every single time I've been to the beach in U.S there has just happened to be a plague of them in the water and on the beach. My husband thinks our luck is hysterical - I do not!:(

Any help/advice appreciated.

We usually (except one cruise) sail in January and February. I don't ever remember seeing any. But I guess they have to be out there all year long I'd imagine. I remember seeing tons of threads over the summer that they were out in full force.....maybe that is the time of year :confused: . I have more of a fear of sharks. An old friend of mine does aerial photography of coastal lines here and they are swimming right along that line. They like to swim right in the grove right after the beach drop off. I guess look and watch everything swimming in the water. That is exactly what I do:D .

If you are worried about Jelly fish, take a small bottle of Windex with you just to be prepared... yes, sounds crazy but this is my story...

We visit Rocky Point mexico a couple times a year, and one time we went in August and my son, then 8 got stung by a jelly fish on his finger (i know not what you wanna hear) Well, my husband and older son tried the "old fashioned method" (in case you dont know, they peed on it) and this didn't work...

I went to the little shop at the resort and told them what happened, they sold me this blue liquid... not expensive like 25cents or something like that, so they weren't robbing me surprisingly hehe.... and I asked what it was, and they told me... Windex. My son stuck his finger in it and voila! almost instantaniously he stopped crying... We now take windex with us whenever we go to any beach... just in case.

I felt so bad though:( Out of all 5 of us... 2 teenagers, 2 adults, and an 8 year old... the "baby" is the one who got it...

anyhow, just take windex with you if you are scared, dont let it hinder your fun. :) And yes, i would be afraid of sharks too:)

Have you seen 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding'? The father of the bride is always recommending Windex for everything. I chuckled when you mentioned this. Good to know though. Does it work on shark bites too?:rolleyes:

I was thinking of the same movie. LOL! Hadn't heard about Windex for jellyfish stings.

We haven't seen any in Dec/Jan in the Western Caribbean, but if you are much farther south that may not help you.

As an aside, I did a lot of low-level flying along the Florida coast, and I concur that it is amazing how close sharks get to swimmers that don't even know it. We always saw them in groups just where the dropoffs were. Freaked me out (I'm terrified of them!).

Jape

In January and February we will be on back-to-back cruises on the Crown Princess. These cruises will be our 5th and 6th southern Caribbean cruises and we have never encountered a jellyfish on any cruise.

As for sharks, fortunately you can see them sometimes if you go scuba diving, but I've only seen one while snorkeling and that was in Key West. However, your chances are much better if you take a dedicated shark dive. I've never had more than 30 of them around me so I can't say whether or not they are dangerous if the gather in large groups.

I have some pictures of a shark dive posted at: http://www.sunfield.smugmug.com

Just select "Tahiti 2005"

then select "Bora Bora Scuba/Sharks"

Denny

Thanks team!!! What legendary advice - I will be purchasing safe swim or whatever it is called very shortly - it may well mark the end of my jellyfish phobia...:) One relieved person here! Now, will just have to keep an eye out for Jaws, hope we don't encounter the perfect storm and pray against any rogue waves... (wee bit neurotic... too much discovery channel:D )

I was never concerned about sharks before in the caribbean, and one snorkel guide in Barbados told us that the water was too warm for sharks. I also remember asking about it at a resort in Jamaica and being told the same thing.....were they just handing me a line? :confused: Just a little nervous now. :o I have never seen one while snorkeling, is this the norm?

Archived