Ships Registry

fuzz

I was looking at a picture of the Diamond while under construction and I wondered in what country is it registered and are all other Princess ships registered in the same country? Just curious.

Here's what I have, so far, on this. It's from the Princess site;

... the United Kingdom, whose flag Princess flies on the majority of its fleet...

AND

...Princess' ships are also registered in Bermuda...

I'm usually pretty good in finding stuff, but this one is a bit tough. I knew about the Bermuda registry. I'll keep looking and let you know.

It looks like a lot of the ships have switched to "Bermuda" registry - I remember reading something awhile back and can't remember why they switched.
The UK government did a deal with the cruise lines and relaxed the employment legislation governing the crewing of British-registered ships, so that a British-registered ship wouldn't be saddled with the high crew costs that previous legislation had dictated. In return for this, the Princess ships came back to British registry, although Bermuda was chosen to allow also for marriages conducted on board by the captain. (I would be surprised if this was just for US citizens. It must make it permissible for everyone in principle, as the question whether you are legally married is primarily determined by the law of the country in which you get married. I would have thought it unlikely that there would be any issues about reciprocal recognition between a British territory such as Bermuda and any other Western country.)

The Netherlands did a similar deal with Holland America Line, allowing most of HAL's fleet to go back to Dutch registry.

Interestingly, it looks like when Sea Princess became Adonia, she was moved to London. I wonder if she will be moved back to Bermuda when she re-joins the Princess fleet next year?

Archived