Vegetarian Choice

Hi,

We are travelling as a family in Nov on Brilliance but my sister is a veggie. Do RCI do anything special for veggies as I notice on menus there is only one entrée opiton and I don't think this really gives enough choice

Cheers!

Hi,

We are travelling as a family in Nov on Brilliance but my sister is a veggie. Do RCI do anything special for veggies as I notice on menus there is only one entrée opiton and I don't think this really gives enough choice

Cheers!

I believe there is that option every evening on the menu.

There aren't a lot of choices on cruise ship menus period. If you don't like ANYTHING on the menu, ask to see the maitre d' (This person will be expecting a tip at the end of the cruise, so you might as well give him/her a chance to earn it.) Sometimes, (but not always) they can come up with something.

I am a vegeterian and found my cruises with them in 1997, 1999 and 2003 to have several great vegetarian options. However my May Jewell cruise in 2004 was a huge disapointment. They had one very bland almost flavorless entree each night. When we tried to ask for something different or spiced up we didn't get anywhere. We did go to the Windjammer a few times and tried the pasta bar, but even that wasn't any good. I did talk to the head waiter, maitre d', pursers desk, commented on comment card and wrote to RCI. I have been hearing better things about the food and hopefully "my complaining" as some people would say, does help out in the food department. The food was so bad on the Jewell in May that everyone on our table wrote to RCI. Our next cruise will probably be with a different line. I don't want to spend another 7-8K on a vacation and not enjoy it because there is nothing to eat. Dry cheese and stale crackers only goes so far.

We just returned from a cruise on Rhapsody. My son is a vegetarian and he found the menu to be very good.

It is true that there is only one vegetarian entree, but you can also get the veggies on the other entrees and usually there are two vegetarian appetizers. He easily "built" his own meal that way, and the waiter was more than accomodating. After the first night, the waiter would suggest a custom entree course, knowing my son's preferences.

I was worried about his meal options before the trip, but he was very pleased.

That's great to hear. While we aren't strict vegetarians, we do eat a lot of vegetables, and find that "traditional" dinner choices are often inadequate in that regard. So knowing that there is always decent vegetarian choices raises the probability that we'll be able to adequately supplement the deficient choices.

I'm a veg who just returned from the Rhapsody W. Caribe cruise. I don't remember exactly where, but somewhere on the official Royal Caribbean site there is info to submit a request for vegetarian Indian food every evening. I had asked for and received a copy of the week's menu and the veggie options didn't exactly light my fire. As a big fan of Indian food I was ecstatic to see the Indian option offered. The first night we dined the waiter hadn't heard about the request, but he and the headwaiter said "Absolutely no problem" and I got great veggie curries the rest of the time.

The staff is genuinely interested in your preferences and goes to great lengths to ensure your complete satisfaction. The only real limitation vegetarian-wise was the room service menu beyond breakfast.

Bon voyage and bon appetit!

• 4 weeks later...

Hmmm... I'm not sure if this thread has made me feel better or worse about my dining options for my upcoming cruise.

I am a fairly strict vegetarian, who is unfortunately also severely Lactose Intolerant (among other digestive issues). I did write to RCI and request that we work on the menu for my upcoming cruise in October on the Jewel of the Seas. I outlined what I could and couldn't have, and they said fine - tell the maitre d' when you board the ship and they will meet your needs.

Is there anything else that anyone can recommend I do to prepare prior to embarkation? I tend to get fairly sick if I eat foods that aren't just right. Obviously the idea of spending the duration of the cruise sick is not a big thrill for me.

I'm a veg who just returned from the Rhapsody W. Caribe cruise. I don't remember exactly where, but somewhere on the official Royal Caribbean site there is info to submit a request for vegetarian Indian food every evening. I had asked for and received a copy of the week's menu and the veggie options didn't exactly light my fire. As a big fan of Indian food I was ecstatic to see the Indian option offered. The first night we dined the waiter hadn't heard about the request, but he and the headwaiter said "Absolutely no problem" and I got great veggie curries the rest of the time.

The staff is genuinely interested in your preferences and goes to great lengths to ensure your complete satisfaction. The only real limitation vegetarian-wise was the room service menu beyond breakfast.

Bon voyage and bon appetit!

Wow! I am so happy to hear this. I am going this Sunday, and have made a request for "vegetarian/dairy-free" meals, so we will see what I end up with. But it is great to know that I can make the request for Indian food (which I love) and will do so! In the past I have eaten a LOT of pasta on cruises, which is always disappointing and lacks nutrition, so I am now looking forward to what you have shared!!!

Thanks for the info!

I am also a vegetarian. Pretty much, if you request food the night before, within reason, they will make it for you. I have requested larger portions of their salads without meat/seafood, steamed vegetables of choice, and other specific salads or veggies or fruit. Most ships are pretty accommodating with that. Also, if you see a particular veggie or starch that is being served with meat, the waiters are pretty accommodating about getting special portions without the meat.

My vegetarian daughter loved the food on VOS. So many times, she's faced with limited choices when we eat out, and this wasn't the case with the dining room. She loved several of the creative soups, salads, and vegetarian entrees which were new to her.

From reading a lot of your replies, it sounds like the key is to make the request before the actual meal, like the night before or speaking to the maitre'd in the beginning, rather than waiting for the night of. Hey, if I'm actually going to tip him/her, I'd like to have some interaction with them! Let them earn it! (Just kidding!)

I second what wblevin said. I don't eat potato or rice, which seems to come with every entree. I would always ask for double of whatever OTHER vegetable was listed, or another vegetable listed with another entree, or even something that I had had the night before.......and I got it.

Carol

Archived