Philadelphia Advice

catdancers

Can anyone give us some Philadelphia advice? We're planning a 3-4 day pre-cruise stay and want to visit all the touristy areas such as the Liberty Bell, Betsy Ross House, Constitution Center, Independence Hall, the Franklin Museum and ???

One of our group is extremely budget conscious so would that preclude us getting a hotel anywhere near these touristy areas? Do you have any hotel recommendations?

Also, is there parking nearby for these tourist areas or shall we plan on leaving the car at the hotel for the duration?

Thanks for any and all words of wisdom.

Hi

I'm a native philly girl here (well outside the city 20 mins) Plenty of hotels in an around the city. By the waterfront you have a comfort inn, in town, a great location would be marriott, at the convention center, and marriott courtyard across the street, you have holiday inn, center city ( all near 15-16th street.... this is great for walking around to do most of what you said you wanted to see. The reading terminal market is a 15th and market st. Great place to visit while in the city, all the great Philly foods, cheesesteaks and such........the folks from lancaster are in the market selling their foods as well. This is near alot of Downtown shopping. The melting pot is across the street and is also a great place to eat with a group (fondue) City Hall is just a few blocks away. You can see William Penn from any vantage point in this area. Now, you could also stay at the Wyndam Franklin plaza down near the Art Museum (the rocky statue was recently moved back there again) This is around 18th and Market (I think.........Other great museums One of my favorite (I'm a nurse) the mutter museum.........medical mysteries and oddities, very cool, we just went last month. The Franklin Institute is getting the King Tut exhibit, see if you can get tickets in advance to that, as it will sell out (all the kids school trips are going to it) The constitution center has a new 911 exhibit............and also has other "shows" WE THE PEOPLE.........I found this so moving you will well up with pride for our country. This is located down around 5th or so street and race. Not really walking distance from the above mentioned although, i would not try to drive around to these places, parking will cost alot and driving is not easy in the city, lots of one way streets. I would do a combo of walking and cabs. If you do this end of the city, go down to old city and south street, crazy stuff on south street. If you go down to the water front you have a great resturant on a ship called the Moshulu. Dave and Busters on the water front too. If

you go to the liberty bell.............a must see in Philly, you can take a walking tour around this area, your guide will be dressed in period clothes and take you to some great sites. I enjoy this on class trips just about every year. They will take you to Betsy Ross's house, Christ Church, and other fun places, Ben Franklin may be around for you to meet. He was amazing , invented way more things then you can even imagine. I love our city and would be happy to give you more insight. My husband just mentioned in the city they have specials stays at the hotels, i think it may be called philly on the weekend or something like that. Have fun!!!!

Jodi:o

Don't forget to consider hotels/motels in New Jersey, a mile from Center City across the bridge (Deleware River $3.00 toll, only pay in one direction), You'd also have the ability to go to Atlantic City less than an hour away by car. If you visit the New Jersey Aquarium and USS New Jersey you can park there and take a water taxi across the River to Penns Landing and walk into downtown Philly. As Jodi says, Philly is a happening place, so much to see and do, so little time :)

http://www.gophila.com

philly is more fun if you sleep over. there are usually packages...sometimes buy 1 nite, get 1-and parking-free. sometimes you can get a good deal...depending on what is happening in town on any gven day.

don't miss reading terminal market.......you can take the water taxi or the speed line to NJ. Public transportation is pretty good......

you can stay out by the airport and take the train into town.....or you can stay over in the cherry hill/deptford/mt laurel area and drive or take the bus.

i would avoid staying in camden.

check out

http://www.njtrainsit.com

and

http://www.septa.org

I live in Jersey and go to philly overnite often as a mini vacation. We use priceline and get downtown 3-4** hotels for about $65 a night.

Recently we have stayed at Hilton Gardens which is right across from reading Terminal(which is awesome). We have also stayed at Hyatt Penns Landing and the Wyndam. Go to Biddingfortravel.com and read theFAQ to give you the tips you need to bid succesfully, Good Luck-O yes-parking downtown can be expensive-$12 a day or more

Harry

Once you're in the city, most of the historic stuff is within walking distance of each other.

I second the recommendation of the Mutter Museum - it's a great place. Not sure what days of the week you'll be here, but the Philadelphia Museum of Art let people in for free on Sunday mornings - I beleive before 1 pm. Also, they have a Wednesday night program where they have live music and drinks in the main hall area. If you're all adults, this is great fun especially if it's jazz night.

Archived