Early morning coffee - room service?

retiredbrit

A simple question which I hope someone can answer. :confused:

We are shortly going on our 7th cruise which will be our second Celebrity cruise, on Mercury this time, through the Panama Canal.

We have never used room service as we prefer to go to one of the dining rooms for breakfast fairly early. This time we are thinking it will be nice to have our early morning coffee on our balcony (we are in a balcony cabin – not concierge class)

An idiot question – do we order room service the night before or ask our cabin attendant to bring it at a set time every morning?

Who ever one brings it – is it customary to tip each time? We always tip the usual people at the end of a voyage.

We have previously sailed with P&O who provided tea and coffee facilities in our cabin which we really appreciated.

Many thanks - Alan

You can either call room service the night before and have them deliver at a specific time. Or when you get up you can call and they will deliver. I you make arrangements the night before, you will get a phone call letting you know they are getting ready to deliver (usually 5 minutes notice). We tipped a buck or two each time we used room service as it wasn't our room steward that did the delivery. Enjoy your cruise, we are going in 2008 on the Infinity.

They also provide a door card menu that you fill out the night before and hang on the doornob before you go to sleep. On that card you just fill out what you want and the time you want it delivered. We've ordered coffee, tea and bagels that way every morning.

I always order my coffee and tea on the door card when I go to bed. You choose the half hour window you want it delivered; ie 6:30- 7:00am. It was promptly delivered every morning by the same young lady. They call 5 minutes before they deliver, so you can be up and in a robe when they get there.

I always tip $20. on the last morning of the cruise.

They also provide a door card menu that you fill out the night before and hang on the doornob before you go to sleep. On that card you just fill out what you want and the time you want it delivered. We've ordered coffee, tea and bagels that way every morning.

Agree......Fill out the card. We were very happy with this procedure and were never disappointed. Don't forget the cash tip..........

We have also found that if there is something special that is not on the menu, you can always write it in. There is no guarantee that you will get it, but we have seldom asked for anything that was that much out of the ordinary and have usually received what we asked for.

Have a great cruise.

the early morning coffee call was one of my favorite things about the cruise. it was the one thing i was truly bummed about when i woke up in my own bed the day after returning home, watching the phone & waiting for that call. :p

why is the room service coffee so much better than other coffee on the ship?! it reminded me of the coffee i would get in cafes in Europe.

Jeffrey

;) All cabins on the Mercury have robes. Some are just better than others... If you order room service coffee for 2 people then order for 6 peolpe. Then you will be able to have more than one cup.. Fill out the door hanger card the night before then it can also be your wake up call....On sea days if you want to sleep in, just call when you wake up....

We love the morning room service! We fill out the door tag every night, only put 2 people for the coffee, but just above that line, I print, large letters, "Large pot please" and we always have enough for 3 cups apiece.

English muffins are our thing, and that has to be written in...and we have always gotten it. Two glasses of OJ, and sliced oranges, and that starts another beautiful day at sea. We tip daily when delivered, as sometimes is a different person who brings the tray.

Enjoy your cruise.

We were just recently on Galaxy, and yes robes in all rooms.

Had coffee and tea delivered every morning, coffee is bad and no better than in the buffet or anywhere else. We like fresh milk, so you need to request that. Always got enough coffee and tea for three small cups, sometimes wasn't so warm. Had my own thermos mug with lid so would fill that up instead of cup. Sometimes you would get enough sugar sometimes not, just keep all the extras for next time.

Order the night before, because one morning we were waiting for 45 minutes when we woke up and ordered.

Ordered breakfast the night before and was very disappointed, cause wasn't very hot, actually luke warm, but there was plenty of it at least.

Overall not too bad, though one morning they just brought a jug of hot water, no coffee, was a new guy and had no idea, but they fixed that pretty quick.

Do all cabins come with robes or only concierge class and suites?

All cabins on all Celebrity ships come with robes. In suites and concierge class, the robe is terry. In all other cabins, the robe is a waffle weave. No need to pack a robe!

Archived