Getting Liquor Off Ship

srqace

When we visit St Thomas we have been in the habit of buying 8 bottles of good scotch since it is so inexpensive compared to the price at home.

My wife and I have each carried one of the 4 pack cartons off the ship. Age has caught up with us, and my wife can't handle this any more, and it is getting harder for me. Has anyone tried putting liquor cartons outside the cabin door along with their luggage the night before return to port?.

Once we get it off the ship we have no problem since the porters will take it to our car along with our luggage. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I envision the booze disappearing or bottles being broken somewhere between the cabin and baggage claim.

I wouldn't do this for fear of it disappearing. Shoes have been known to disappean, I would imagine good booze would disappear quicker. I am not sure they would even carry this off. I think it has to be luggage.

Why don't you just bring one of those small luggage carts with wheels. You can put the cartons of booze on the cart and wheel them off yourself. A small carryon bags with wheels could be used in a similar manner. If that doesn't work, just give me a call, glug, glug, glug, hic, hic, hic.....:rolleyes:

There was a thread not too long ago concerning teenagers on Explorer who stole booze that people put outside the door for the luggage people to pick up. Quite a dust up over that.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=19791

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=419107&highlight=teenager

Couple links to that incident, hope it helps you make up your mind.

There was a thread not too long ago concerning teenagers on Explorer who stole booze that people put outside the door for the luggage people to pick up. Quite a dust up over that.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=19791

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=419107&highlight=teenager

Couple links to that incident, hope it helps you make up your mind.

wraithe, it turned out (posted later in that same thread) that the parents had put the purchased booze in their cabin and that their own teenagers had gotten it there. :rolleyes:

wraithe, it turned out (posted later in that same thread) that the parents had put the purchased booze in their cabin and that their own teenagers had gotten it there. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the heads up, I missed that post, bet that makes the poor guy that put the thread up feel silly, at best.

A quick question for those of you who know, can you still carry on the 4 pack liquor carriers onto airplanes since the new rulings about liquids in carryons? We like to purchase Kaluha and Caribbean Rum while on the islands and weren't sure if we could get it home.

A quick question for those of you who know, can you still carry on the 4 pack liquor carriers onto airplanes since the new rulings about liquids in carryons? We like to purchase Kaluha and Caribbean Rum while on the islands and weren't sure if we could get it home.

No, you can't. We bought 6 bottles of liquor in Cozumel and used brown wrapping paper (from liquor store on board Navigator) to wrap each bottle and put 1-2 bottles in each suitcase surrounded by dirty clothes. Everything got home fine, no breakage at all.

We decided next year that we'll bring on a few sheets of small bubble wrap so we can wrap our bottles and feel a little more secure than the brown paper. Luckily both dh and I bought sweatshirts at the Promenade sale so we had some extra cushioning for the bottles

Also, we didn't realize it but the Western Caribbean has a different amount of liquor that is allowed "duty free" than the Eastern. The Eastern is 4 bottles per person (5 if bought in St. Thomas I think) and the Western was less (but the duty if you choose to claim it and/or are discovered is small).

We brought 4 bottles of wine & 1 of rum home packed in luggage. one tip, I had a large mailer envelope w/bubble wrap on the inside I put the bottle in that and put the whole thing in a lg zip lock bag closed it w/a little air in it and put that in another zip lock. Then pack clothes around each bag. They all made it home safe & Sound!

Debbie

Masonpips,

You are correct about the amount of acohol that can be brought back to the US by a citizen. The allowance is 4 litres as long as the ship stops in any of the three US Virgin Islands. You can bring back that fifth bottle as long as it is a product of the Virgin Islands (i.e. Chococo). However, you can bring back as much booze as you want to bring back with no limit. The duty on any given bottle is 2 or 3 dollars, but they will question you if you look like your trying to stock a liquor store. For you beer drinkers, its $1.30 a case duty.

Archived