Review: Celebrity Mercury 10 day Mexican Riviera

Splinter

We just returned from a 10 day Mexican Riviera cruise (round trip out of San Diego) on the Celebrity Mercury. This was my parents' 37th cruise, and my 17th.

Embarkation was easy in San Diego with preferred lines for wheelchair users. Our cabin (5059) was an accessible cabin for 3. Celebrity puts all the accessible cabins in one area, with a wide corridor which makes it easy to get into the cabin even with service carts in the hallways in the AM and PM. We had two twin beds which could be put into various combinations and a bunk (for me). The large bathroom had a roll-in shower, adjustable height accessible sink, and adjustable angle mirror. The ramp on the outside of the bathroom was not a trip hazard as some can be. There was a sliding pocket door to the bathroom. There was plenty of closet and drawer space for 3, with two of the four closets having pull-down clothes rods for better access. We had a picture window (no balcony). Cabin services were excellent.

There was easy access to the forward and mid-ship elevators and to Guest Services from our cabin. All public areas were accessible and ramped, with automatic doors in most areas. There were accessible public restrooms on all decks. The top two decks (sports and observation) were not accessible. There was no pool lift.

Did not use tendering services for the wheelchair (two of the 5 ports), but did not see any special provisions for wheelchairs on the tenders, which leads me to believe you would need to be lifted in your chair into the tender without tie-downs from the level platform at the side of the ship. In Cabo San Lucas the shore dock is pretty accessible. In Zihuatanejo, shore-side access is poor, with narrow stone steps up from the tenders to the dock.

In Acapulco we had a private tour with Acuario tours that we booked through http://www.shoretrips.com. Marketed as wheelchair accessible, it was a standard rear entry lift-van without a raised roof. Their tie-downs were rusty and did not work, and the driver did not know how to use them. I was able to get two attached to the front of the chair, but there was no place to tie-down in the rear, so I had to hold the chair. We did have a nice tour. Many ramps were VERY steep, including one that must have been 45 degrees in one shop, and two that were at least 30 degrees at the Acapulco Cliff divers (where there is an accessible viewing platform). I would not recommend using this company again unless they upgrade their equipment, even though the guide was very helpful and nice.

In Puerto Vallarta we again used http://www.accesiblemexico.com which has upgraded their van to a standard raised roof rear entry lift van, with all new (and functioning) tie-downs. We went to Mismaloya Beach for lunch at the La Jolla hotel, a tequila factory tour and some shopping.

In Mazatlan we did not take a tour. My dad and I went to Stone Island (not accessible) via passager ferry, and then went shopping close to the ship with my mother.

Food was very good, and service excellent. Our waiter cut my mother's food for her every evening after we asked for this the first night and we had tray assistance for her most times that we went to the buffet.

Overall we had an excellent trip and I would recommend this ship again. They are moving the Mercury (after an extensive redecorating) to the Australia/New Zealand area in 2007.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived