HAL cabin designations

spongerob

Hi folks!

I've been lurking here looking for future cruise ideas. We've been on Princess exclusively since we started cruising, and now we're looking for something a little different.

HAL uses different category codes than I'm used. On ships like Maasdam or Veendam (sorry, I don't know the class they're known by), which cabins most closely approximate a Princess Grand-class minisuite? For those not familiar with Princess cabins, we'd be looking for a cabin around 300 sq. ft. with full bath and balcony.

Thanks!

The closest cabin size I see is the Verandah Suites A, AA, B, BB, BC with 292 sq ft. The next one up is the Deluxe Verandah Suites S with 556 sq. ft. If you go to the HAL website there is a drop down for the fleet, and you can look at all the ships and cabin sizes there. I really liked the S category, but alas it is beyond my means. Have a great cruise.:p

First, the Maasdam and Veendam are in the S-Class HAL size ships and are, relatively speaking, the smallest of the present 3-class inventory of HAL ships. Agabbymama is correct that the A & B categories are the closest to your 300 square foot with full bath and balcony requirement. Other than location on the ship there really isn't any difference between A & B categories in terms of size, layout, etc. We love the S category suites but when we can't book one of those we skip right to the B category as we don't see any sense in paying for an A when all it gets you is basically one deck higher on the ship.

Veendam and Maasdam are S class ships. There is a description of the HAL classes at the top of this first page. All the S and R class ships go from Veranda mini-suites (all V categories) approx. 290 sq ft including veranda up to the next class "S" which is a full suite approv 560 sq ft. The Vistas and Prinsendam have intermediate categories SY and SS which are approx. 350 sq ft with veranda. The V categories and up on S and R class AND the SY and SS on Vistas as well as the cabin categories above these have whirlpool tubs except rooms designated as handicapped.

As the above post says there are virtual tours of the cabins on the HAL website under "our fleet".

GN

I am both a long time Princess and HAL cruiser and book the "mini-suite" categories on both ships frequently. The Veranda Suites on HAL are actually "mini-suites" in that they have larger quarters then regular cabins and some nice extra touches but not the full blown benefits that suites have. As said before the categories are A, B, BA, BB and BC and are around 292 sq ft inc balcony. The difference in category is primarily due to location just like on Princess.

Hi folks!

I've been lurking here looking for future cruise ideas. We've been on Princess exclusively since we started cruising, and now we're looking for something a little different.

HAL uses different category codes than I'm used. On ships like Maasdam or Veendam (sorry, I don't know the class they're known by), which cabins most closely approximate a Princess Grand-class minisuite? For those not familiar with Princess cabins, we'd be looking for a cabin around 300 sq. ft. with full bath and balcony.

Thanks!

Archived