"Formal Night" Photographer's Backdrops...

GuyInLA

Am I the only one who finds the backdrops of the staircase from what looks like the 'Titanic' tacky? Are people really planning to say they were on THAT ship? Isn't the staircase in the ship we're actually on good enough?

This isn't something I lose sleep over... but still... isn't it just a rung or two away from the mall photographers who'll put your face on the cover of People Magazine?

I think a life-size cutout of Captain Steubing (The Love Boat, people, know your Princess trivia) would be a step in the right direction. :rolleyes:

Don't get me started. I think I can get over the staircase backdrop. But, the port photo's (embark and disembark) are the worse. I do not want to stand with a fake pirate with a plastic bird melting on his shoulder in the hot sun.

My favorite is the blank white background. The black and white photos are cool too.

Am I the only one who finds the backdrops of the staircase from what looks like the 'Titanic' tacky? Are people really planning to say they were on THAT ship? Isn't the staircase in the ship we're actually on good enough?

Me too - very tacky!!!

I am not a fan on the art on the ship too. No big deal but for my taste it is generally TOO BRIGHT!! - lacks subtlety - IMHO

On our last cruise there were a few backdrops, but there were several places that just used an area of the ship for a backdrop. There were a couple of spots on or near the main staircase. This was the first cruise I had seen this, but does not mean that our other cruise did not have non-backdrop photo spots.

Yeah, I'm a little different, too. I am looking forward to all the photos (yes, I am probably going to buy one from every port!) because I scrapbook and I don't mind cheesy backgrounds. Heck, DH and I even bought the picture with Tinkerbell in our hand from Disney last year!

I too find the Titanic backdrop very cheesy. DH and I had our portrait taken on one of the beautiful real staircases on the Crown. The Piazza is a beautiful backdrop...and it's all real...no cheese...except in Vines to have with your glass of vino.:D

Having sailed with P&O for many years, we too are used to some awful backdrops for pics - and yes, I think the Titanic one is just terrible. P&O have been doing this one for a number of years now - and I always avoid this one, and can't understand anyone wanting to have this as a backdrop!! I also avoid the pirates/parrots, although my husband rather likes the scantilly clad girlies!!:D

Every CCL ship I have been on has that dumb Titanic backdrop. I like the ones that have a cruise ship on them.

All the port pics (Pirate guy, person with Iguana, etc) are tacky, but I saw one that actually looked cool-

While in Jamaica the day before Xmas, I saw an Aida ship. It is owned by CCL, but is very euro. As people got off, there was a guy dressed up as St. Nick (the german equal of Santa- it looked great) and a gorgeous blond woman dancer scantily dressed as Santa's helper!

A lot of people posed with them for a pic!

DH and I hate the Titanic backdrop, also; it just seems too morbid for some reason.

One of our favorite pictures is one we had taken with the Atrium as the backdrop. There was a white pillar with some roses on it next to us, and we were right against the railing on deck 7. Much more of a formal picture than standing behind a backdrop of stairs from a doomed ocean liner. :rolleyes: To each his own,though! :)

Like MaryPoppinz above, we avoid the photographers whenever possible. When they do catch us, we usually end up having the photos ground up - they always catch us with less than flattering expressions.

Some of us are less photogenic than others!

lovebug33 -- can you really get a photo with Tinkerbell in your hand on DCL???? As you can see in my signature, we'll be doing Princess next month (YAY!!!!!!!!!!!) and Disney in 2008. My daughter is a Tinkerbell fanatic. Do they superimpose a little Tinkerbell there or do you hold something? Are there other sightings of Tinkerbell while on board? I'm a scrapbooker too and I am so looking forward to the post-cruise aspect of the cruises (though not as much as the cruises themselves.) Sorry this is a little off-topic from Princess, but I'm a little giddy since our Princess cruise is in less than 30 days now!:D

Hi UK Family.

What ship are you going to be on. We are on the Sea Princess and our departure and return dates seem to coincide with yours i.e. 9th December and 23 December from Ft Lauderdale. Our ports seem to match many of yours although on different dates.

Hi there - Nice of you to make contact - there aren't that many of us here from UK! So, what ship will you be on?? Getting excited??! We are getting very excited here - all part of it...it's just that awful occasion following the cruise we could do without..you know, the one beginning with C!!

We have sailed out of FL a couple of times in the past when cruising with P&O a few years ago. They all seem to go from Barbados now, which is actually easier and we found it a much quicker process to get through the airport...however, this time we are flying to San Juan, so who knows??! Are you flying from Gatwick on Sat?? What time?

Make sure you have a wonderful time - and like ships, we may pass in the night!

Cheers

:rolleyes:

I fear that I can only partially sympathize. I might wish that Princess or some of the other cruise lines would use interior views of some of the great ocean liners of the 1930's as photo backdrops (Believe me, I really wish that they would do so), but I've had to accept that I'm in the minority. Most cruisers probably don't know much about ocean liners and those folks who do are a minority of antiquarians and history buffs whose tastes don't match that of the general public. Most cruisers recognize the staircase from the Titanic movie; they probably wouldn't recognize an interior view from the Rex or the Normandie even if it was plainly captioned in foot-high letters.

Not to worry about the staircase backdrop. I THINK that there was a very similar staircase on the RMS Olympic, a sister ship of the Titanic that survived World War One and had a number of successful crossings.

First off, I loved the formal night photo opportunities. You have a better chance of getting that one perfect picture if you sit for as many as possible.

That being said, some of the backdrops were pretty bad, though there was a sunset backdrop that ended up looking pretty nice in the final photos. My wife and I ended up choosing photos that featured the ship's atrium as the 'backdrop.'

Don't get me started on those stupid Pirates...

Don't get me started. I think I can get over the staircase backdrop. But, the port photo's (embark and disembark) are the worse. I do not want to stand with a fake pirate with a plastic bird melting on his shoulder in the hot sun.

My favorite is the blank white background. The black and white photos are cool too.

fuzzzy i love your comment. You read my mind when you said melting bird that i just loved.

Dawn-2002

Sea-2003

Island-2004

Island-2005

Sapphire-2006

This isn't something I lose sleep over... but still... isn't it just a rung or two away from the mall photographers who'll put your face on the cover of People Magazine?

I think a life-size cutout of Captain Steubing (The Love Boat, people, know your Princess trivia) would be a step in the right direction. :rolleyes:

Just off Crown. Hate the Titantic backdrop and that dark swirll blue and grey color one. The best one is the casuel pictures with white backdrop only. All pictures were really great with white in background. I wore black outfit and showed up really nice. Sitting on floor in bare feet too. Just a nice picture and everyone in our family is getting one for Christmas... LOL! Young blonde photographer was wonderful. She had a way with making you have fun as you were rolling around on the floor. Our friends bought 3 of her pictures on the floor... all different poses. See if you can find her and the white backdrop...

Just off Crown. Hate the Titantic backdrop and that dark swirll blue and grey color one. The best one is the casuel pictures with white backdrop only. All pictures were really great with white in background. I wore black outfit and showed up really nice. Sitting on floor in bare feet too. Just a nice picture and everyone in our family is getting one for Christmas... LOL! Young blonde photographer was wonderful. She had a way with making you have fun as you were rolling around on the floor. Our friends bought 3 of her pictures on the floor... all different poses. See if you can find her and the white backdrop...

Archived