Bring wine on board

judie43

Hi everyone....a question regarding bringing onboard a case of wine....I want this wine for our stateroom, not the dining room....I'm assuming the corkage fee is for the dining room only, is this correct? So I can bring on board as much wine as I want ( within reason, of course ) and there will be no charges from HAL, right? thanks !

We noted on our 5 weeks on Statendam.......

........ I could go on and on and on, I think HAL are a pack of downright THIEVES. quote]

Well Chivalrygirl... I just received the following from a friend who is on holiday in New Zealand at the moment..

Stephen

"Went to the Mills Reef Winery in Tauranga, NZ two days ago ... at the winery they charged NZ$ 19.95 for a CORK SCREW ...!!! They charged for a bottle of Mills Reef Malbec/Merlot (not a reserve) NZ$28. I can say that they are THIEVES at the NZ wineries!!!!"

Hi everyone....a question regarding bringing onboard a case of wine....I want this wine for our stateroom, not the dining room....I'm assuming the corkage fee is for the dining room only, is this correct? So I can bring on board as much wine as I want ( within reason, of course ) and there will be no charges from HAL, right? thanks !

Yes, that is correct.....Always love these wine threads, they bring the best out in people:mad:

What sort of wine do you like to drink, I could give you some hints of wine to try. Generally speaking Californians are saying our whites out do yours, but I can't comment as I have never tried any, we just stuck to what we know and really enjoy, we did buy a couple of cheap Aussie whites but they were YUK!!

All of them! :D Seriously, I like big chardonnays, light and fruity viogners, crisp chenins. Also big big big zinfandels, cabs, fruity pinots. Not a big rose fan. Also like sparklings. Not big on sweet dessert wines.

Yup...the always lively wine debate. What fun! :)

Me personally, I was in the wine business for 12 years as a distributer rep, up until my distributor retired and gave 200 of us the "boot". sigh...

Up until then, I could bring my free samples on board, and was thrilled to only have to pay the 15.00 corkage.

My problem now is still not the corkage, though I am now having to pay for my own wine...sheezz..

My problem is that I know good wine, and am now spoiled. Yes, the ship will charge 3-4 times over what you could buy that wine in a store (duty or no duty)...but that is only the norm at most land based restaurants.

My real problem is that the wine the ship offers is pretty much low end to middle of the road crap.

Someone on here knows my favorite "wine before dinner" which is a nice NZ SB. Of course Cloudy Bay will make me swoon with delight and cloud my senses...sigh.

Anyway....I am also a fan of a good California Russian River Pinot, and of course Dry Creek's Zins....yumms...

Just to ensure my own personal tastes...I will ask the taxi that picks us up from the airport to make a "side trip" to a good wine store before heading to the ship at port, and stock up on my favorites.....still being ahead paying the 15.00 on my purchases which will be top quality.

Cheers everyone!

:)

Me personally, I was in the wine business for 12 years as a distributer rep, up until my distributor retired and gave 200 of us the "boot". sigh...

Up until then, I could bring my free samples on board, and was thrilled to only have to pay the 15.00 corkage.

My problem now is still not the corkage, though I am now having to pay for my own wine...sheezz..

My problem is that I know good wine, and am now spoiled. Yes, the ship will charge 3-4 times over what you could buy that wine in a store (duty or no duty)...but that is only the norm at most land based restaurants.

My real problem is that the wine the ship offers is pretty much low end to middle of the road crap.

Someone on here knows my favorite "wine before dinner" which is a nice NZ SB. Of course Cloudy Bay will make me swoon with delight and cloud my senses...sigh.

Anyway....I am also a fan of a good California Russian River Pinot, and of course Dry Creek's Zins....yumms...

Just to ensure my own personal tastes...I will ask the taxi that picks us up from the airport to make a "side trip" to a good wine store before heading to the ship at port, and stock up on my favorites.....still being ahead paying the 15.00 on my purchases which will be top quality.

Cheers everyone!

You can buy Cloudy Bay on board, its really, really cheap only $US80, saw it in a liquor store in Vancouver for $Can39. What sort of profit is that I wonder :-)

I am not getting into any further arguments on here over this, but I couldn't resist your post ;)

Yes, that is correct.....Always love these wine threads, they bring the best out in people:mad:

thanks Fatfish...we do plan on consuming waaaaaay more wine in our rooms than we do in the DR :) so I'm glad to know that....and yep, these threads do bring out the best, don't they??

my senses...sigh.

Island Lady....you sound as if you know your wines quite well....we're thinking that we'll probably wait until we land in FLL to buy our wine....and it's very likely that the brands will not be familiar to us...I've discovered that although I like my wine, my stomach often doesn't...sometimes even "good" wines hit my stomach and OUCH !!!! A wine expert once told me it was the additives that cause the pain....I'm wondering if you could steer me towards the ones that won't hurt my stomach...or away from the ones that do...thanks!

Island Lady....you sound as if you know your wines quite well....we're thinking that we'll probably wait until we land in FLL to buy our wine....and it's very likely that the brands will not be familiar to us...I've discovered that although I like my wine, my stomach often doesn't...sometimes even "good" wines hit my stomach and OUCH !!!! A wine expert once told me it was the additives that cause the pain....I'm wondering if you could steer me towards the ones that won't hurt my stomach...or away from the ones that do...thanks!

I have heard from many sources that it is the sulfides in wine that cause headaches...stomach aches...etc...etc. Sulfides are used as an additive in some wines, but they are actually naturally occuring on the vines and grape skins. Wines that profuse to say "no sulfites"...really do have them...they are just not added.

Once again, my wine experience hurts me here, as I only get stomach aches from cheaper wines...figures....and of course "too much of a good thing".

Cheers! :)

You can buy Cloudy Bay on board, its really, really cheap only $US80, saw it in a liquor store in Vancouver for $Can39. What sort of profit is that I wonder :-)

I am not getting into any further arguments on here over this, but I couldn't resist your post ;)

Yeah!!! My favorite!! :)

Thanks for the info. This will be my first time sailing with HAL. I have been on many other lines, but never found my CB at a decent price, if they indeed offered it at all.

I am still looking forward to checking out the wine shops, both before the cruise and during the port calls.

I have heard from many sources that it is the sulfides in wine that cause headaches...stomach aches...etc...etc. Cheers! :)

thanks Island Lady.....I'll look for the low-sulfide wines ...I guess it doesn't matter where the grapes are grown?

Yeah!!! My favorite!! :)

Thanks for the info. This will be my first time sailing with HAL. I have been on many other lines, but never found my CB at a decent price, if they indeed offered it at all.

I am still looking forward to checking out the wine shops, both before the cruise and during the port calls.

http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/Cloudy+Bay/2005/USA-/USD/A/-/0

Try this link island lady, seems you might be able to buy your favourite before you sail at about $US25.

Where are you cruising to? What ship?

Have a really good one?

Cheers

Val

http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/Cloudy+Bay/2005/USA-/USD/A/-/0

Try this link island lady, seems you might be able to buy your favourite before you sail at about $US25.

Where are you cruising to? What ship?

Have a really good one?

Cheers

Val

Thanks! Though it is half the fun "cruising" through a new wine shop

I have never been to!

We are leaving on the Oosterdam 5/27/07 Alaska tour via Seattle. It is also a first for us doing the Seattle port. Just wish I had more time to spend there. My greedy boss won't let me take any extra time...sheezz..

Hi Island lady,

Ketchikan was the place for me, Safeways had a seperate wine store and in September a really good selection of NZs SB. Not in the Cloudy Bay range but good all the same. Oyster Bay being one of them, they had also Villa Maria, Nobilos etc. Not half bad wines. The really cool lady in the shop gave me a Safeways card as as I bought 6 bottles I got another 10% off my six pack :D

We just loved Alaska, wish we had more time there. We had good luck and bad luck, in Juneau the weather was so bad no flights took off, a major disappointment, however in Skagway we went up to the Yukon and it had snowed the night before, it was the most amazing sunny day and the scenery was just stunning. Sure had the WOW factor for us. I am sure you will have a great time.

lol all this talk of Cloudy Bay I have just placed an order on line for six bottles 2006, hope its OK, but only $NZ25.99 ;)

Cheers

Val

Hi Island lady,

Ketchikan was the place for me, Safeways had a seperate wine store and in September a really good selection of NZs SB. Not in the Cloudy Bay range but good all the same. Oyster Bay being one of them, they had also Villa Maria, Nobilos etc. Not half bad wines. The really cool lady in the shop gave me a Safeways card as as I bought 6 bottles I got another 10% off my six pack :D

We just loved Alaska, wish we had more time there. We had good luck and bad luck, in Juneau the weather was so bad no flights took off, a major disappointment, however in Skagway we went up to the Yukon and it had snowed the night before, it was the most amazing sunny day and the scenery was just stunning. Sure had the WOW factor for us. I am sure you will have a great time.

lol all this talk of Cloudy Bay I have just placed an order on line for six bottles 2006, hope its OK, but only $NZ25.99 ;)

Cheers

Val

Wow!!

Nice score on the CB SB...now I am getting very thirsty!

We are chartering one of the float planes in Juneau....hope we don't run into the same bad luck. I would hate to miss that excursion!

We don't hit Skagway, but instead we are Ketchikan, (and have Safeway card already in tow!), and Sitka.

We are doing a kyak thing in Ketchikan, and then renting a car for our own little self quided tour in Sitka.

Looking forward to it. Hmmmm...wonder what wine/beers we will find in Sitka?

Nicely chilled, naturally!

So i am clear.......Holland lets you bring wine on board......but Celebrity doesn't? If you bring a bottle of wine to dinner on Holland...you are charged a corkage fee of $15 but not if you are having it in room......correct?

Wow!!

Nice score on the CB SB...now I am getting very thirsty!

We are chartering one of the float planes in Juneau....hope we don't run into the same bad luck. I would hate to miss that excursion!

We don't hit Skagway, but instead we are Ketchikan, (and have Safeway card already in tow!), and Sitka.

We are doing a kyak thing in Ketchikan, and then renting a car for our own little self quided tour in Sitka.

Looking forward to it. Hmmmm...wonder what wine/beers we will find in Sitka?

Nicely chilled, naturally!

Hey Island Lady the CB SB has just arrived in time for my b'day tomorrow, perhaps you might drop by for a glass or two :D Yummy Yummy

Its a bit of a walk to Safeways, but a guy on the street told me I should have turned right from the ship, so I never worked out whether there was another safeways in that direction, might pay for you to check that out. Otherwise time wise I would suggest you get a cab there and back. The nice lady did call me a cab to go back to the ship, being too far for me to walk with my precious cargo :)

Kell113, Yes, there is a corkage fee of $15 in the dining room. No charge in your stateroom. On our last Celebrity cruise we also took wine. We are sailing in March on Celebrity and plan to take several bottles to drink in our stateroom. We will order from the wine menu for dinner.

Kell113, Yes, there is a corkage fee of $15 in the dining room. No charge in your stateroom. On our last Celebrity cruise we also took wine. We are sailing in March on Celebrity and plan to take several bottles to drink in our stateroom. We will order from the wine menu for dinner.

Hi there-

I was all set to book a cruise on Celebrity for next Fall. But, I recently read that they now allow only 2 bottles of wine PER STATEROOM! (I've since blown that cruisline off).

On a recent Noordam cruise, my son and a friend accompied us. My son is a wine fanatic having taken a Somalier (I think that spelling's correct) course and is a marketing director for a large wine association in Washington, DC. He brought a case of fine wines on board and gladly paid the corking fees. Another couple joined us at our table on the third night. Each night, they would each arrive at the table with a glass of vodka and cranberry juice they had mixed in their cabin. (I know your not supposed to bring aboard the hard stuff but one or two bottles rarely get "noticed".)

After several meals they ran out of vodka and asked my son to reccomend a good wine from the wine list. After some discussion, they said no way in H-- were they going to pay the price listed. My son jokingly suggested they could always buy that wine ashore and bring it to the table saying it was ship's wine given as a gift from their travel agent. The next day was a port day and that's what they did. They presented their recently purchased bottle of wine to the wine stewart telling him that it was ship's wine and there should be no corking fee. However, there was a problem apparent to all of us on the other side of the table. We, and the wine stewart, could plainly see a price sticker still attached to the wine bottle. After a brief back and forth about corkage and no corkage, the wine stewart graciously opened the wine and poured it for them. While I thought their actions bordered on crass, I thought the wine stewart was a class act.

At an appropriate moment, my son let them know they had left the price sticker on the bottle. Consistent with my 45 yrs of married life, the wife immediately blamed her husband for embarassing her. After we all had a good laugh, I suggested that they might like to give the stewart a nice tip at the end of the voyage - which they did.

On a recent Noordam cruise, my son and a friend accompied us. My son is a wine fanatic having taken a Somalier (I think that spelling's correct) course and is a marketing director for a large wine association in Washington, DC. He brought a case of fine wines on board and gladly paid the corking fees. Another couple joined us at our table on the third night. Each night, they would each arrive at the table with a glass of vodka and cranberry juice they had mixed in their cabin. (I know your not supposed to bring aboard the hard stuff but one or two bottles rarely get "noticed".)

After several meals they ran out of vodka and asked my son to reccomend a good wine from the wine list. After some discussion, they said no way in H-- were they going to pay the price listed. My son jokingly suggested they could always buy that wine ashore and bring it to the table saying it was ship's wine given as a gift from their travel agent. The next day was a port day and that's what they did. They presented their recently purchased bottle of wine to the wine stewart telling him that it was ship's wine and there should be no corking fee. However, there was a problem apparent to all of us on the other side of the table. We, and the wine stewart, could plainly see a price sticker still attached to the wine bottle. After a brief back and forth about corkage and no corkage, the wine stewart graciously opened the wine and poured it for them. While I thought their actions bordered on crass, I thought the wine stewart was a class act.

At an appropriate moment, my son let them know they had left the price sticker on the bottle. Consistent with my 45 yrs of married life, the wife immediately blamed her husband for embarassing her. After we all had a good laugh, I suggested that they might like to give the stewart a nice tip at the end of the voyage - which they did.

Perfect!! :)

Takes all types...and they are out there!

Thanks for the cute story./

Archived