Isle Des Pins-car/scooter rental?

Tikibird

After looking at the Lonely Planet guide and the Jason's map, I am thinking that the best thing to do is rent a car or scooter to explore this island on our own. Can two people fit on a scooter? We can do it if the local people do it and laws allow it.

The other option is renting bicyles, which would be fun and help keep us from putting on too much weight. Is this a realistic option or are there too many hills. We are mid 40's and somewhat fit but not up to lots of hills.

Hi

When you get off the tender at Isle of Pines, you will see all these mini car/scooter type vehicles lined up. I'm not sure how much they are to hire, but two people can fit in them side by side (well, two skinny people) and you follow the fleet and tour around the island. It looked like so much fun.

That's no fun, I don't want to go in a group. There must be some private hire scooters. people do stay in hotels on this island too. The Lonely Planet says there are fun cars for 5000 CFP half day but it is far from the wharf. Just wondering how most people get around this island since there aren't any shore tours.

I went on a bus tour, didn't cost much, about $10 I think and it took about an hour or so just seeing a few sights, nothing much. I took it to fill in time while my daughters were snorkelling. I didn't book it, just went to where others where lined up waiting and got in a mini bus type of thing. And yes, when I saw the scooter thingies they went off in a group one behind the other. I'm not sure I would like to go off without some guidance unless you had a map.

We do have a map and a Lonely Planet guide book so we would know where to go. We just want to be free to explore the island on our own because we do have a full day there.

I would love to here a review and details from your trip as I am doing similar in Dec 2007.

Can anyone give a quick report of what Isle of Pines is like and what to expect?

Jenny

>^..^<

Good for snorkelling, clear water.

We didnt venture too far into the island, only stayed at the beach where you get off the tender, but from what we saw, it was very quiet, only a few locals walking around.

Lots of dogs running around on the beach.

Hmm, from what I saw, it looked very uninhabited.

Good for snorkelling, clear water.

We didnt venture too far into the island, only stayed at the beach where you get off the tender, but from what we saw, it was very quiet, only a few locals walking around.

Lots of dogs running around on the beach.

Hmm, from what I saw, it looked very uninhabited.

It's much bigger than that Tinalou, I was surprised when I went for my 'look' on the bus, there was a 'cafe?' where you could get drinks and banana fritters and chips etc. which wasn't far from the tender area. The best area is on the other side of where you get off the tender. Good snorkelling there.

Isle of pines is quite big, but we haven't really explored it much the times we've been there. Generally we go for a walk about a kilometre up the road to the old convict prison ruins, walk back, have a swim and a relax at the beach, check out the markets etc.

The beaches there are lovely.

There is a resort (Le Meridian I think), but it's a fair distance away from where the ship docks.

There aren't any organised shore tours on the Island, but as people have mentioned there are various activities on offer when you disembark from the tenders. But because they aren't organised by P&O, make sure that if you any of them, you are back in time for the last tender - because they won't wait for you if you're not back (unlike the P&O arranged tours).

That's no fun, I don't want to go in a group. There must be some private hire scooters. people do stay in hotels on this island too. The Lonely Planet says there are fun cars for 5000 CFP half day but it is far from the wharf. Just wondering how most people get around this island since there aren't any shore tours.

There may be private hire scooters at the resorts, but not from where the ship anchors. We were disappointed too, because like you we didn't want an organised tour - we just wanted an easy trip to the prison ruins and to be able to explore the area a bit more, and we couldn't do it.

• 10 months later...

Im heading over on the 10th November sailing from BNE - searched and found some contact for scooter hire:

http://www.isle-of-pines.com/activities.html

Cars, bikes and scooters are available to hire, for those visitors who like to do ‘their own thing’. Others may prefer to take an island tour by minibus.

The tour takes 2-3 hours and costs 1.700 – 1.800 cfp per person. Each driver runs his own business and has sometimes only a smattering of English.

For a meaningful guided tour in English, contact :

William Garçon, tel : (687) 81 37 78 or (687) 46 10 52

Other mini-bus tours : Salomé : tel. (687) 46 11 25,

• Alex : tel. 78 96 36,

• Nicole : tel. (687) 82 38 59

• Sandra : tel. (687) 93 55 66 or NC First (Rosemarie)

espace.gif tel. (687)76 63 49 or (687) 46 10 90.

• 1 year later...

Well I'm getting jealous here.

We're off on the Pacific Sun this afternoon, but they've just told us that we're not going to be landing at the Isle of Pines as planned.

Apparently they have a Swine Flu-free island and want to keep it that way! (can't say I blame them)

So - we'll have to see if there are scooters for hire in Noumea:)

• 3 years later...
I have seen them for hire in Noumea, but not at Isle of Pines. There used to be bicycles available at I of P, but they haven't been there for a while now.

The Isle of Pines web site and Lonely Planet refer to car hire - this is directed at people on land holidays - many do a two or three night out of Noumea to the island. The hotel or gite you stay at organises this for you. Difficult to do it for a cruise day and I have never seen cars for hire at the tender wharf - but there is a "tour desk" - very informal just as you get off the tender and I have seen a van offering horse riding. If your ship offers it the tour to the Natural Aquarium is worth it -also occasionally available on shore if you are quick onto and off the tender.

We haven't got definite plans yet but we've talked about getting a scooter car for half the day, seeing a few sights and then snorkelling somewhere in the afternoon. Our ship doesn't offer tours on Isle of Pines.

We have been to Isle of Pines more than 20 times and I cannot recall seeing scooter cars for hire there. As I mentioned in my earlier post, they are available in Noumea but they are expensive and people I spoke to who hire them described them as "scarey".

On Isle of Pines there used to be bicycles and also motor scooters for hire, but I haven't seen them in our last couple of visits.

The locals used to offer tours to the Natural Aquarium (Baie de Oro), but when P&O made arrangements with the local operator, these tours were no longer offered. If your ship doesn't have such a tour, maybe the locals will offer this.

There is usually a van on the left a couple of hundred metres from the jetty where you can book a tour around the local area (township of Vao and the site where the first French missionaries landed). This is OK, but not fantastic.

Have a great cruise.

Archived