Passport problem

bottomrung

Having applied for our passports in mid October I used the Link Cruise Critic Host Walt set up to access the status of such. I typed in the necessary information for my DW and everything is A-OK:confused: and should be delivered in early Dec. After entering my information there was no record of my application on file. We both applied the same day at the county clerks office. I then called the toll free number and someone had mispelled my last name when transferring it from the application to the Passport. I am also suspose to receive it in Dec.:confused: Better check yours to be safe.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=235886

I'm sure this is bound to happen even more as the deadline for border crossing by air gets nearer. Lots of applications, and workers scurrying to try to help everyone meet the deadline. Transpositions and such are bound to occur every once in a while. Your advice to check your passport carefully when you receive it is something to heed.

Hi All- I Spoke To The Cruise Line And The Travel Agent Today And Both Said The Passport Issue Is Not In Effect Till Jan. 08. Happy Cruising!
While it's not an "issue" and you won't be denied boarding if you're on a Caribbean/Mexican/Canadian cruise, it's very highly recommended. If you miss the ship or have to fly home for any reason (and believe me, reasons happen), you will not be able to return to the U.S. or go to another country. Then it'll be come a huge and very expensive "issue" if you can't get home -- it'll be very much penny-wise, pound foolish. Save yourself the trouble and get a passport.

Ok the "official" word from the State Department:

Under theWestern HemisphereTravel Initiative (WHTI)

The proposed implementation timeline has two phases:

• Beginning January 23, 2007, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document.

• As early as January 1, 2008, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), may be required to present a valid passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security. While recent legislative changes permit a later deadline, the Departments of State and Homeland Security are working to meet all requirements as soon as possible. Ample advance notice will be provided to enable the public to obtain passports or passport cards for land/sea entries.

Here's the official link: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

Until then, you can get by with a Government issue photo ID (Driver's License) and a Certified copy of your Birth Certificate for the Caribbean. However, if your going on a cruise in the Med or embarking from another overseas port, you will need your passport.

On the off chance that you had to fly back from these countries either with your own illness or a family emergency, you would have to have a passport after 01/23/2007 to enter the US. Maybe because of the special circumstances an exception could be made, but I sure wouldn't want to discussing the issue with US Immigration.

Archived