Does the Grand rent snorkel equip

kittikat

Have been searching posts and get conflicting information. Does anyone know if I will be able to rent snorkel equip on the grand Princess for the week and the cost? I was planning on purchasing some for my trip on Dec 9th, but the dive shops are the only place I can find it and it is very expensive. Also takes up a lot of room in luggage! Thanks for any info, or if anyone going this next week will check for me I would appreciate it!

Kitti - my advice would be to buy only the snorkle, but rent the fins and mask. You may or may not be able to get them through the ship, but can rent them at whatever venue you are going to. I know that Target and Wallymart sells them, but the season may be wrong.

Dive shops are expensive, but you are getting what you pay for. if you are going to do a lot of snorkling on the cruise and afterwards, think of it as an investment. Plus once you buy them, you don't need to replace them. Our masks are well over 20 years and still work beautifully and we just replaced the other equipment. Just make sure you rinse it out well after using it and the equipment will be with you for a long time.

The other nice thing about using a dive shop is that many have pools in which you can test the equipment prior to buying. That way you know if it is what you want. If you buy at a chain, the quality is often lacking.

Whatever you end up doing, I hope you have a great cruise and lots of fabulous diving.

Charlie

You can rent equipment on board. If you've never snorkeled before, it's a good option. If you enjoy snorkeling, I recommend the investment in your own gear. Most important is a mask that fits properly and comfortably. The guy I bought my mask from probably had me try on 12-15 before he found one that fit satisfactorily.

The most difficult item to fit properly is the mask. You will be miserable if it floods constantly, etc. Fins are pretty generic for snorkeling now and again in calm seas.

I would not buy a mask anywhere unless you can try it on. No need to put on the head strap. Fit it on your face (clear of all hair) in inhale. It should form a seal and feel comfortable. The strap merely keeps the mask in place during your swim.

One good fitting mask should last an adult forever.

You can rent equipment on board. If you've never snorkeled before, it's a good option. If you enjoy snorkeling, I recommend the investment in your own gear. Most important is a mask that fits properly and comfortably. The guy I bought my mask from probably had me try on 12-15 before he found one that fit satisfactorily.

Can I ask where you bought your snorkel gear from? I love to snorkel but hubby has a hard time keeping water out of the mask and I know it's because of his mustache. I am bringing vaseline this time to help with that, but would love to get him a good fitting mask that works.

the Grand definetly rents snorkel equipment if that's what you want to do. I don't remember how much it was though, but it seemed reasonable in my mind. It will be advertised in the Patter or you can ask at the Purser's desk. Sometimes, they book up though, so if you go this option, request it in the first couple of days so you won't be dissappointed.

Also, if you want inexpensive but good snorkel equipment, I find Sam's Club and Costco to be good suppliers, even this time of year. You will usually find it with other sport related objects - like ski gloves at our Costco in Canada. :) However, you can't try it on until you get it home; which I guess at that point you can still return it if you don't like it.

Have a great cruise. We love the Grand...we've sailed her three times out of Galveston.

I've been contemplating buying from snorkle-mart on the internet. Have good options like masks you can see beside you not just staight ahead. The prices are good. The last time my husband and I went sorkling he got stung by a jelly fish and so did about 4 other passengers due to only being able to see directly in front of the mask. I am a little leary a purchasing without trying on though.

Have a great cruise,

Tammy

I purchased my mask and fins at a dive shop in Ft. Lauderdale. Most any shop should be able to outfit you properly. I also recommend getting larger scuba-sized fins. They come in handy when you encounter strong currents. Getting fins that fit is also important. If they're too small your feet might cramp, and if they're too large, you might lose them entirely.

What is the best way to clean the mask? When we snorkeled in Hawaii, our masks got dirtier than ever before so I asked the dive shop people what to use when we got home. They told me Simple Green in the sink and soak overnight. I did exactly that and then rinsed the masks off and they are etched and impossible to see through. We are going to look for another mask this weekend but I really need to know the best way to clean. Before we had just rinsed with dishwasher soap.

I just purchased a prescription mask at a dive shop. Yes, it was more expensive than purchasing online, but I was able to try on several types before buying. I discovered that the ones with the side windows really did not allow me to see any better and for me, the other type where the lenses sit closer to the face is more comfortable. I never would have known that if I hadn't been able to try one on first. As for cleaning, a good mask bought at a dive shop should have glass lenses and the recommended method for a thorough cleaning (like before using them the first time) is rubbing a little toothpaste on the lenses. This was recommended by the dive shop and by an avid diver friend.

We bought the ones that got stained at Academy and we tried a bunch on there before deciding. They were great until I etched them with that simple green stuff. They lasted for about 8 years snorkelling at least twice a year, up until this last Hawaii adventure at Black Rock. That sand is just sticky and different there. We are going to look this weekend. I am also going to look in phone directory for a dive shop around me. There just has to be one.

Archived