Diamond Princess or Celebrity Summit?

patde44

We're considering a RT from Southern CA to Hawaii for fall 2007. A number of lines go there, but the best prices we've found are the Diamond and the Summit, which are in the same price ball park. Has anyone cruised both of them? And/Or, has anyone cruised this itinerary? Would love to hear the pros and cons asap as we have a hold on one cabin that will soon expire. I look forward to your input!!!

I haven't been on both. I was on Summit.

One thing to consider is the "pod issue" on the M'class ships of Celebrity (of which Summit is one). Do yourself a favor a do a search on Celebrity's board.....the pods on the M-class ships have broken down 16 times in the last four years. They have not been replaced, only repaired.

We cruised last year RT to Hawaii on Infinity (sister ship to Summit) and it was a wonderful cruise. Next year we are on Diamond. Never cruised Princess so we are looking forward to the experience. Does Summit go to Kauai next year? I was thinking I read it was not. Also the stop on Maui was really short. I don't think any cruise to the islands can be bad so whichever you choose have a great time.

We were on the Summit last April - Hawaii and back from LA. It was one of our best cruises. We have the Diamond booked for this Jan for a Mexican Riviera cruise, so we will be able to compare ship at least. We are looking to do another Hawaii cruise this March/April time frame and have also noticed that Celebrity is not stopping in Kauai. Since we are going with another couple that have never been to the Islands, we would really hate for them to miss Kauai and it is in fact our favorite island. I don't think Holland is stopping there either. In our research, I believe that right now Princess is the only line going there.

After we get back from our January cruise we are going to decide which line to take. After we ride the Diamond, we will have been on all three. We are sure lucky that in the near future that is the hardest decision we have to make.:D

I have been on the same itinerary on the Island Princess and have been on the Diamond's sister ship, the Sapphire Princess (to Alaska). I haven't sailed on any Celebrity ship. Did tour the Summit last May.

Two advantages I would give to the Diamond: a retractable pool, just in case it rains or it's cold -- which could happen your first couple of days going and your last two coming back; coin-operated laundries, so you don't have to pack two weeks worth of clothing.

Maybe someone can suggest advantages of going on Celebrity (esp. if you post on the Celebrity forum).

Have been on both (Summit, Mexican Riviera, fall 05, and Diamond, Alaska, spring 06). Loved both ships, but lean towards Summit.

Summit does have a solarium with a covered pool, as well as a spa cafe that serves healthy choices. The thalassotherapy pool is warm and has jets of water like a giant jacuzzi.

I thought the entertainment on Summit was a little better, except for one small group; but there was always lots to choose from. Celebrity will also have a guest speaker. (Diamond did too, in Alaska, but I'm not sure if it's a regular practice.)

Summit's Martini Bar was a fun place too.

However, CruisinChick has an excellent point about the laundromats on Princess; sure wish Celebrity had those. On a long trip, those are especially convenient!

You can't go wrong with either ship, so have a great cruise!

Jan

I so appreciate all your input - it's been quite an education!

I booked the Diamond today! I was anxious for a first Celebrity cruise, but decided the Summit, at least for now, might not be the best introduction. We've had some grumbles on past Princess cruises, but we've also had some wonderful times. The grumbles fade quickly, though, and the wonderful times live on. The pod problems (discussed on the Celebrity boards) and the inclusion of Kauai helped tip the scales toward Princess. And having a self-service laundry is a plus, too. Also, if all else was equal, DH would prefer the bigger ship.

Am hoping to drive to LA and stay at Doubletree (as learned elsewhere on the boards), once they have their 2007 Park & Cruise rates.

Again, many thanks and happy sails to you!

Archived