Legend or Liberty??

ryansmama

I can't decide between a cruise on the Legend (goes to Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya) or on the Liberty (Costa Maya, Limon, Colon).

This will be our first cruise, and I'm not sure if I should be focusing on which ports to visit or which ship is better. Help me decide!

Everyone should be blessed with such tough decisions. Legend was our first Carnival cruise and the reason we returned. Loved the ship and it's layout. We did the Liberty this August and liked it so much that we are returning to her for Christmas. Liberty probably has more places to hang out but the Legend pool is better in that it feels less crowded. Chair hogs on both make getting a chair by the pool difficult. I prefer the dining room on the Liberty in that there are 3 which make it feel less crowded and noisy at dinner. To me, it is really a coin toss. The Legend is NOT old.

We were on the Legend this past March for an Exotic Western Caribbean cruise to Colon, Belize and Limon. We enjoyed the cruise and the ship. It did not feel "old" at all.

I really liked the spa. The women's locker room had showers with multiple shower heads for a full body shower experience. I also liked the layout of the ship. I wish I had discovered the promenade behind the restaurant on deck 3 sooner. We watched the sunset from there on the last two nights of the cruise and it was an absolutely spectacular sight.

If the water slide is something that is important to you, you should know that the slide on the legend does not end in a pool. I did not use the slide, but a few of my friends did and they thought it would have been better if it had gone into a pool rather than a shallow, rectangular outlet.

The food was pretty good. My favorite was the pizza from the pizzeria. I also liked the layout of the seaview bistro. They had a deli, salad bar, asian, international cuisine of the day, and american classics. We did not do the supper club.

I have not been on the Liberty so I cannot comment on it.

As far as the ports of call, I have been to Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, Colon, and Limon.

If you like to snorkel or dive you would really enjoy the Grand Cayman, Cozumel and Belize itinerary as they are all well known for their reefs and dive sites, especially Belize. I went snorkelling at both Grand Cayman and Belize and had a great time. Actually in both places, I did the snorkelling with sting rays and sharks. In Cozumel, I pretty much just went shopping. I wish I had done the excursion to the Mayan ruins instead of shopping, but we did get some nice mexican blankets and other souvenirs. There are also Mayan ruins in Belize. My sister and her husband took the excursion to one of the Mayan ruins in Belize, I can't remember which one as there were two choices, and they said it was a good excursion.

In Colon, we did our own tour from a guide recommended here on CC to the Panama Canal and the San Lorenzo Fort. Colon is itself is pretty gritty and not much to see, but the Canal was an experience not to be missed. We were able to see 2 ships go through the locks.

I can't really say anything about Limon, Costa Rica, because we weren't able to see anything there but the port itself due to torrential rains and flooding. We would love to go back, because we had heard wonderful things about Costa Rica. We had also found a private tour operator there through recommendations from the boards here on CC.

Whatever you decide, I am sure you will have a great time.

I can't decide between a cruise on the Legend (goes to Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya) or on the Liberty (Costa Maya, Limon, Colon).

This will be our first cruise, and I'm not sure if I should be focusing on which ports to visit or which ship is better. Help me decide!

I have sailed on Legend this year, and NO... she is NOT old. Very fine ship.

I haven't been on Liberty.

If i were in your shoes, I would look at the ports in order to chose. If you are interested in seeing the Panama Canal, then Colon obviously is a must. If you love rain-forest, then Limon. Belize has much to offer, including rain-forest and Mayan sites. Cayman and Cozumel are more beaches and similar tourist friendly attractions.

Based on my experiences at these ports, the Legend itinerary mentioned is relatively more for tourist, while the Liberty's is more for travelers. That's JUST my take.

I loved the Liberty, along with the Conquest - in fact - I think I prefer the Conquest Class ship - reason for the Valor in a couple of days!!! :D

I hated the layout of the Legend - the restaurant was over the engine - noise unbearable, the pool area was a lot to be desired - small and crowded, the decor was awful and during the whole 8 days (even with calm seas) I felt the waves constantly. I had a group of 75 - about 30 first time cruisers - who were so sick - most will not return to cruising. I kept telling them - this is not your typical cruise ship - give it another chance!!! Some in my party loved the Legend and had been on it before - so opinions differ.

To me a cruise is 50% ship and 50% ports. Enjoy whatever cruise ship that you decide - and make sure you tell us your thoughts when you return!!:cool:

IBased on my experiences at these ports, the Legend itinerary mentioned is relatively more for tourist, while the Liberty's is more for travelers. That's JUST my take.

I don't mean to be confrontational; please don't take it that way.

What is the difference? For both examples, you're on a cruise ship that is in and out in a short period of time.

IMO, anything one does on a cruise ship is more in line with a tourist. Travelers go to a destination and stay awhile. They get to know more of the culture and the people. That is not possible with the limited amount of time that a cruise stop allows.

You will find a difference in clientel on each ship. Liberty will be a younger crowd than typically on the Legend. As stupid as it sounds, and 8 day cruise has older people on it than a 7 day. Look at this however you want, but I have had comments made directly by Carnival employees stating that this is definitely the case on the Liberty vs. Legend. Also, the legend is considered more of an upscale ship than the Liberty.

I wouldn't call it my two cents as probably not worth that much.

LEGEND. No comparison. A Classy ship!

You're right. You can't make a comparison because you haven't been on the Liberty. :D

(at least according to the list of ships you've been on).

The Legend was built in 2002, hardly making it qualify as an "old ship". However, the Liberty is in a higher class of ship.

Being the Liberty is just a slightly bigger version of the Destiny/Triumph class, I'll just say I know enough about it to avoid it. :eek: :)

What do you know about it that would cause you to avoid it? I am booked on a future cruise on it and would consider changing ships or lines if I read enough negative things about the Liberty. The only thing negative I've read are remarks about the cruise director and he's leaving the ship before my cruise is scheduled. I'm not concerned about the virus as that will be gone and I don't fault the ship for it. But I was considering the new RCCL ship during the same time period and chose the Liberty based on price.

I'm not suggesting NOT sailing on the Liberty. I'm just giving an opinion of which one I would prefer.

BIYWTK, I just personally did not like the layout of the Lido deck. From the tiered stadium seating pool area, to the Lido restaurant, to the rear pool. I MUCH prefer ships that have an open aft.

Just WAY too crowded as well.

And then there are MANY that like the Liberty.

And BTW, I happen to have enjoyed Mr. Heald as a cruise director. I'd be more than happy to have him again on any ship. He is very entertaining. Why he is being blamed in some part by some posters as to info, or lack thereof, no one knows what he was TOLD to say. Especially about something only mother nature controls.

I'm not suggesting NOT sailing on the Liberty. I'm just giving an opinion of which one I would prefer.

BIYWTK, I just personally did not like the layout of the Lido deck. From the tiered stadium seating pool area, to the Lido restaurant, to the rear pool. I MUCH prefer ships that have an open aft.

Just WAY too crowded as well.

And then there are MANY that like the Liberty.

And BTW, I happen to have enjoyed Mr. Heald as a cruise director. I'd be more than happy to have him again on any ship. He is very entertaining. Why he is being blamed in some part by some posters as to info, or lack thereof, no one knows what he was TOLD to say. Especially about something only mother nature controls.

The negative comments I've read on Heald have to do with toilet humor (fart jokes, etc.) in his act. The cruise I went on (RCCL Enchantment of the Seas) had a professional comedian onboard and the cruise director acted merely to introduce acts and shows. She was great in more of a hostess role. I'm not a big fan of toilet humor. My kids love that stuff though. In any case, I've read good things about the incoming CD of the Liberty.

If you've heard negative things about the Liberty, what were they? I am at the point where I can change without it costing me a dime. My fear about the Liberty is that it's too big and crowded.

It was his quick wit that endeared me to him (although I'll admit to laughing at a good fart joke, I don't remember any out of him).

I've read both negative and positive things about the Liberty. You eventually read both negative and positive things about every ship if you visit here long enough. None would really influence my decision on choosing a ship. And that's including the Destiny.

You will have to weed through all the BS and measure what means most to you.

But personally, if I had a choice between a Conquest and a Voyager class ship, I would choose the Voyager class ship. I never thought I'd go that big, but never felt crowded.

But I would never turn either one down.

Archived