Taxis in San Diego?

Tinknock50

Does anyone recall what type of vehicles taxi cab companies generally use in San Diego? Do they use many vans or higher than a sedan vehicles?

The reason I ask is because I am getting a travel lift that will help get my Mom in and out of the car. It will work better for clearance if the roof line is higher than a car.

Thanks,

I have taken numerous cruises out of San Diego. The vast majority are regular cars. A few vans. If you check the web came listed below and go to the Cruise Terminal view, you can actually zoom in and look at the taxi's. Next Saturday morning the Oosterdam arrives. So log in around 8:30AM.

http://live6.truelook.com/face/newface.jsp?func=live&name=/ecodb/sandiego&overlay=default&skin=default&useapplet=true&time=1164498869610&width=640&height=480&quality=65&catalogname=catalog&preset=SEE%20San%20Diego1/Cruise+Ship+Terminal

Hi Sean,

I live in San diego and have two cars so have no need of taxis, however, when going to the airport or cruise terminal I always use Cloud 9 Shuttle. They generally use vans but I have also had a town car pick me up a couple of times.

You could give them a call and see if they can help you. I have always found them to be extremely helpful and courteous.

The phone number is 1-800-974-8885. Hope this helps.

Valerie:)

Well, it's 5:14 pm in San Diego, and the O is on its way. I hope there is someone on board who can give us a live update from the ship. I would love to know more about the vibration a previous poster noted was very bad.

I am wishing all on board a wonderful cruise this week.

we also live here and agree that there is a mixture of sedans and and vans; if you require a van, you can contact the man in charge of the lineup and tell him your requirements. we also use cloud9 shuttle and if you need it, they also have a vehicle which is handicapped accessible with a lift, but you would need to reserve it far in advance as they are very busy on cruise ship days.:)

Thanks to all for the replies.

I am hoping to avoid having to hire a handicap van.

I will be testing out the portable travel lift when it comes Wednsday.

If it works well I will bring it along. It should work on regular passenger cars, it just that you have to be careful the rider doesn't bump her head on the top of the door opening.

Only 2 weeks from now and I will be dining on the Oosterdam!:)

Hi Valerie,

Will be going on the 12/2 cruise and my Sister in Law who lives in SD will be gone so can't take us. She lives in Kensington so was glad to see your message. So does this company you mentioned come to people's homes to pick up to take to the pier and if so what do they usually charge?

Thanks for any info.

Nan

Hi Valerie,

Will be going on the 12/2 cruise and my Sister in Law who lives in SD will be gone so can't take us. She lives in Kensington so was glad to see your message. So does this company you mentioned come to people's homes to pick up to take to the pier and if so what do they usually charge?

Thanks for any info.

Nan

Hi Nan,

Yes Cloud 9 does come right to your door and they are usually extremely prompt. I live north of your Sister in Law, in Scripps Ranch, and pay $71.00 plus change for a round trip ticket. From Kensignton it would be less expensive I think.* You can reserve a return trip and you will find a Cloud 9 representative outside the terminal door who will direct you to where the Cloud 9 vans are loading. You may have to wait a few minutes for a van going to your location but I have never had to wait too long.

Have a wonderful cruise.

* also the fare for two people would be less per person than I pay as a single.

Oh just thought of a related question....do you have to go outside the port gates to get a cab?

Hi Sean,

I'm pretty sure that you do have to go outside the port gate to get a cab. I have only seen busses and vans loading inside the gate.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Hi again Sean,

Sorry - apparently I was wrong about the taxis being outside the gate. According to John (Copper-10) on another thread there are taxis inside the gate. I guess I was just always too busy wheeling my suitcase over to the shuttle area to notice.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Hi again Sean,

Sorry - apparently I was wrong about the taxis being outside the gate. According to John (Copper-10) on another thread there are taxis inside the gate. I guess I was just always too busy wheeling my suitcase over to the shuttle area to notice.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Thanks,

I sailed out of SD a year ago and remember cabs dropping people off inside the gates......just didn't remember any taxis inside to pick up people.

I will have a wonderful cruise!:)

Archived