TOP 75 savings / freebies on a Royal Caribbean Cruise

traveler/

I'm not sure that all of these are MONEY savers (i.e., the wake-up call and learning a bit of the port city's langauage), but they are all good advice.

I'll add a few more money savers:

Book a standard cabin. You're not going to be in there much anyway. If you plan to book a balcony, choose an aft cabin or a hump balcony to get more for your money. If you're booking a single room for 3-4 adults (or adults and teens), choose a room near the spa so that you can use their shower facilities.

Don't pay your final balance until the last minute (why should you let someone else get your interest?), but write it on the calendar so you won't forget to do it. If you pay with a credit card, pay it off in full; a vacation is a luxury, not something to be financed over time. If you disagree, calculate just how much the interest will add to the cost of your vacation -- it's huge.

Don't over-spend on special clothes for the cruise; other people don't pay that much attention to what you're wearing. You probably have a couple coctail dresses/formals that are perfect for dinner, and it makes little sense to spend on a wardrobe for a lifestyle you live only one week per year. If you're small, it's easy to pick up worn-once formals at consignment stores. Shop for formals a month after prom/wedding season, or just after New Year's -- they'll be clearanced. If you can't decide between two dresses, choose the one that matches the shoes /handbag you already have.

Bring along plenty of one-dollar bills; you always need them for tips, and a stash of ones'll save you from making the choice between stinginess and over-generosity. My husband occasionally gets a little $50-$100 bonus at work -- they call these bonuses "atta-boys", and they're distributed for small but above-the-call-of-duty projects. When we have a big vacation coming up, he often cashes one of these in single bills and puts that cash away just for tips. Since it's "free money", it's painless.

Unless you live very, very close to the port, always come to your port destination a day early. A one-night hotel stay doesn't cost much, and it allows you to sleep in and arrive well-rested at the terminal -- no worries about making it to the ship on time. This is cheap insurance!

Sometimes we choose a hotel that allows free parking during the cruise. At $10-15 PER DAY to park your car at the port, this really adds up! Most of these hotels offer a free shuttle to and from the port. My husband drives us to the port and lets me out (with all the kids and luggage), then he returns the car to the hotel. While whole families with massive piles of luggage wait in line to get into the hotel's shuttle, he -- being only one person with no luggage -- hops into the first "we can take one more" spot, and he meets us in the terminal. We do the reverse when disembarking: He sprints out of the terminal, leaving me to search for luggage and go through customs with the children. By the time I'm through, he's waiting outside with the car.

Make sure you're signed up for the hotel's frequent-stayer program so that you're adding up points towards free somethings.

If you fly, leave the plane last and check for magazines that other passengers have left. Lots of people buy magazines for the plane, then abandon them. My husband flies frequently, and he often brings home copies of things that we wouldn't really buy for ourselves, but we enjoy when they appear.

Bring along a couple EMPTY water bottles onboard and refill them as needed. This doesn't add weight to your suitcase, and it is much cheaper than buying bottled water to take ashore. The water onboard is at least equal in quality to the bottled water you buy at the store. Consider bringing Crystal Lite (or similar) individual drink packets, especially if -- like me -- you just can't drink soda all day long. If you're bringing alcohol in your suitcase, bring only what you'll realistically consume onboard; you can't take half a bottle back into the US.

Do not under any circumstances take ANY food through customs -- not even half a cup of coffee in your hand. They can fine you something like $50,000 per item. I've seen families dumping sandwiches and fruit in the trash can beside the sign warning you of this fine. Take it from the daughter of two former airline employees, Customs officials are not warm-and-friendly, they do not give warnings, and you do not want to "see if you can squeak by" when re-entering the US.

Bring along all the medications you might possibly need onboard; they'll cost a fortune, and you'll have to wait to get them. Sunscreen, sunglasses, etc.

Bring extra batteries and plenty of memory for your digital camera. Not only will these things cost a fortune onboard, you may lose the opportunity to take pictures for a while.

Are you prone to losing your disposable cameras? The problem is that everyone's camera looks just alike. Label yours with your family name and cabin number, and you're likely to have it returned -- or, at the worst, you'll know which one's yours in that big lost and found box.

When you choose a private excursion, make sure every family member has a watch with a good battery. As you exit the ship, verify the ship's time with the crew member who scans your ID. Verify what time the ship leaves (ship time or island time), make sure your watch is right.

If you're using a private excursion company or a rental agency, write out your contact names /reservation numbers /etc on an index card, which you can take along in your bag. You never know when you might need these things.

If you really NEED to be in touch with family back home, you can rent a satelite phone for about $150/week. While this is not cheap, it's less expensive than using the ship's phones or slow emails. I'd do this IF I were leaving children at home.

The car rental places OFF the pier often charge less. If you have a reservation, they'll pick you up/drop you off at the pier for free. However, time is money, especially in port -- this may not be worth the savings.

Search the internet for tourism coupons prior to departure. For example, we found lots of coupons for St. Thomas.

Be very careful about what you eat in port. The cultural experience of eating "real native food" isn't worthwhile if you end up sick for the rest of the cruirse. We like to take individually sealed packs of peanuts, crackers, etc. for the kids to have on the beach.

Skip souveniers. They are usually over-priced junk and become yard sale fodder. You don't have to purchase anything to remember the trip. Unless you left your children at home, you are not required to purchase gifts for the folks back home.

If you are cruising with children, discuss their budget ahead of time and check up on their spending frequently -- or deny them charging privledges. Make it clear whether you're okay with them buying milkshakes, playing arcade games, etc. I've read too many stories about teens spending $$$$ without permission, and I think I've never had this problem because I've always given my girls a generous but firm budget. Do not assume you're on the same page.

Finally, remember that the amount of fun you have is in no way related to the amount of money you spend.

Check to see if you're on page 1 of the thread. The OP shows at the top.

The balcony discount and obc is the same in a JS as a balcony.

Wine tasting is "free" if you have a coupon. Otherwise there is a charge. I think it's $10. Midnight buffet, galley tour, bridge tour are always complimentary.

Another thing to add to the list is to sign up for the Roll Call for your thread. No charge and you can get lot's of "free" information from others who are going on your cruise.

Even though the discount is the same for JS or balcony, The JS booking or higher will give you 2 credits on your c & a account, balcony (d1, etc. ) is 1 credit. Also, 12 nights or more cruise gives you an extra credit. So, if you can go on a 12 night cruise in a Junior suite, you would earn 3 credits.

I'm not sure that all of these are MONEY savers (i.e., the wake-up call and learning a bit of the port city's langauage), but they are all good advice.

Book a standard cabin. You're not going to be in there much anyway. If you plan to book a balcony, choose an aft cabin or a hump balcony to get more for your money. If you're booking a single room for 3-4 adults (or adults and teens), choose a room near the spa so that you can use their shower facilities.

Don't pay your final balance until the last minute (why should you let someone else get your interest?), but write it on the calendar so you won't forget to do it. If you pay with a credit card, pay it off in full; a vacation is a luxury, not something to be financed over time. If you disagree, calculate just how much the interest will add to the cost of your vacation -- it's huge.

Don't over-spend on special clothes for the cruise; other people don't pay that much attention to what you're wearing. You probably have a couple coctail dresses/formals that are perfect for dinner, and it makes little sense to spend on a wardrobe for a lifestyle you live only one week per year. If you're small, it's easy to pick up worn-once formals at consignment stores. Shop for formals a month after prom/wedding season, or just after New Year's -- they'll be clearanced. If you can't decide between two dresses, choose the one that matches the shoes /handbag you already have.

Bring along plenty of one-dollar bills; you always need them for tips, and a stash of ones'll save you from making the choice between stinginess and over-generosity. My husband occasionally gets a little $50-$100 bonus at work -- they call these bonuses "atta-boys", and they're distributed for small but above-the-call-of-duty projects. When we have a big vacation coming up, he often cashes one of these in single bills and puts that cash away just for tips. Since it's "free money", it's painless.

Unless you live very, very close to the port, always come to your port destination a day early. A one-night hotel stay doesn't cost much, and it allows you to sleep in and arrive well-rested at the terminal -- no worries about making it to the ship on time. This is cheap insurance!

Sometimes we choose a hotel that allows free parking during the cruise. At $10-15 PER DAY to park your car at the port, this really adds up! Most of these hotels offer a free shuttle to and from the port. My husband drives us to the port and lets me out (with all the kids and luggage), then he returns the car to the hotel. While whole families with massive piles of luggage wait in line to get into the hotel's shuttle, he -- being only one person with no luggage -- hops into the first "we can take one more" spot, and he meets us in the terminal. We do the reverse when disembarking: He sprints out of the terminal, leaving me to search for luggage and go through customs with the children. By the time I'm through, he's waiting outside with the car.

Make sure you're signed up for the hotel's frequent-stayer program so that you're adding up points towards free somethings.

If you fly, leave the plane last and check for magazines that other passengers have left. Lots of people buy magazines for the plane, then abandon them. My husband flies frequently, and he often brings home copies of things that we wouldn't really buy for ourselves, but we enjoy when they appear.

Bring along a couple EMPTY water bottles onboard and refill them as needed. This doesn't add weight to your suitcase, and it is much cheaper than buying bottled water to take ashore. The water onboard is at least equal in quality to the bottled water you buy at the store. Consider bringing Crystal Lite (or similar) individual drink packets, especially if -- like me -- you just can't drink soda all day long. If you're bringing alcohol in your suitcase, bring only what you'll realistically consume onboard; you can't take half a bottle back into the US.

Do not under any circumstances take ANY food through customs -- not even half a cup of coffee in your hand. They can fine you something like $50,000 per item. I've seen families dumping sandwiches and fruit in the trash can beside the sign warning you of this fine. Take it from the daughter of two former airline employees, Customs officials are not warm-and-friendly, they do not give warnings, and you do not want to "see if you can squeak by" when re-entering the US.

Bring along all the medications you might possibly need onboard; they'll cost a fortune, and you'll have to wait to get them. Sunscreen, sunglasses, etc.

Bring extra batteries and plenty of memory for your digital camera. Not only will these things cost a fortune onboard, you may lose the opportunity to take pictures for a while.

Are you prone to losing your disposable cameras? The problem is that everyone's camera looks just alike. Label yours with your family name and cabin number, and you're likely to have it returned -- or, at the worst, you'll know which one's yours in that big lost and found box.

When you choose a private excursion, make sure every family member has a watch with a good battery. As you exit the ship, verify the ship's time with the crew member who scans your ID. Verify what time the ship leaves (ship time or island time), make sure your watch is right.

If you're using a private excursion company or a rental agency, write out your contact names /reservation numbers /etc on an index card, which you can take along in your bag. You never know when you might need these things.

If you really NEED to be in touch with family back home, you can rent a satelite phone for about $150/week. While this is not cheap, it's less expensive than using the ship's phones or slow emails. I'd do this IF I were leaving children at home.

The car rental places OFF the pier often charge less. If you have a reservation, they'll pick you up/drop you off at the pier for free. However, time is money, especially in port -- this may not be worth the savings.

Search the internet for tourism coupons prior to departure. For example, we found lots of coupons for St. Thomas.

Be very careful about what you eat in port. The cultural experience of eating "real native food" isn't worthwhile if you end up sick for the rest of the cruirse. We like to take individually sealed packs of peanuts, crackers, etc. for the kids to have on the beach.

Skip souveniers. They are usually over-priced junk and become yard sale fodder. You don't have to purchase anything to remember the trip. Unless you left your children at home, you are not required to purchase gifts for the folks back home.

If you are cruising with children, discuss their budget ahead of time and check up on their spending frequently -- or deny them charging privledges. Make it clear whether you're okay with them buying milkshakes, playing arcade games, etc. I've read too many stories about teens spending $$$$ without permission, and I think I've never had this problem because I've always given my girls a generous but firm budget. Do not assume you're on the same page.

Finally, remember that the amount of fun you have is in no way related to the amount of money you spend.

Some wonderful suggestions. Thanks for taking the time to write them. I really will use the idea of searching the internet for coupons.

I checked the RCI shareholder website (thanks for posting it!) and I am confused. It says, "Reservations must be booked no longer than May 1, 2007. " What does that mean? I have a cruise booked for 9/30/07, does that mean it isn't eligible? Or does it mean that the cruise has to be booked by 5/1/07? Will they be discontinuing the policy after 5/1/07? Thanks for your input.

I count 6 POSSIBLE DISCOUNTS - anyone used all of them on 1 cruise? Any more discounts that I am missing?

1)RCI savings certificate

2)platinum/diamond balcony discount

3)Onboard booking

4)shareholder benefit from owning RCI stock

5) senior/military or resident rate.

6) RCI Credit Card OBC, Upgrade, cash reduction

We have used 4 and will sign up for the credit card onboard as you get lots of extra points for doing that. It is almost cheaper to cruise than stay home for our next cruise.

Thanks for this great list -- saved on my hard drive.

I checked the RCI shareholder website (thanks for posting it!) and I am confused. It says, "Reservations must be booked no longer than May 1, 2007. " What does that mean? I have a cruise booked for 9/30/07, does that mean it isn't eligible? Or does it mean that the cruise has to be booked by 5/1/07? Will they be discontinuing the policy after 5/1/07? Thanks for your input.

Current letter says "reservations must be booked :) no later than May 1, 2007".

I have several cruises booked for departure before 5/1/07. Those cruises have stockholder credit since I already faxed info in, and it was approved.

I also have several cruises booked already for departure after 5/1/07.

The policy letter in 2005 was good until 5/1/06, and the policy letter in 2006 is good until 5/1/07. RCI (so far) has continued the policy by rolling over to a new letter and date.

I plan on sending in the required paperwork for the benefit for those later cruises soon.

Any questions, call RCI c & a. They should be able to help or refer you to proper department.

Have you purchased the stock yet?

I think it is a great benefit, because the stock also pays a quarterly dividend, currently .15 cents per share, and the stock has gone up in value for me. Today's price is in high 42's. So I have made or saved money 3 ways.

What does it mean to call before the wake-up call. Is there a charge for wake-up calls?

Call in the day or night before for a wake up call the next morning. It is free, and that way you won't miss anything you had planned! Seems to be good especially if you are in inside cabin, or did not bring along your travel alarm, are going on an excursion, or are meeting other cruisers.

Current letter says "reservations must be booked :) no later than May 1, 2007".

I have several cruises booked for departure before 5/1/07. Those cruises have stockholder credit since I already faxed info in, and it was approved.

I also have several cruises booked already for departure after 5/1/07.

The policy letter in 2005 was good until 5/1/06, and the policy letter in 2006 is good until 5/1/07. RCI (so far) has continued the policy by rolling over to a new letter and date.

I plan on sending in the required paperwork for the benefit for those later cruises soon.

Any questions, call RCI c & a. They should be able to help or refer you to proper department.

Have you purchased the stock yet?

I think it is a great benefit, because the stock also pays a quarterly dividend, currently .15 cents per share, and the stock has gone up in value for me. Today's price is in high 42's. So I have made or saved money 3 ways.

If past practice is an indication, RCCL will probably renew the benefit. I am going to send my information in for a Feb. 2008 cruise.

You nailed everything in plain english for folks to understand. I applaud you!

Definately add once again for parents NOT to give spending priveledges to the kids. One CC member got a very unpleasant surprise with over $1000 Sea Pass bill. With Net charges over $500 and a video of the teenage daughters played for him by the Purser when he disputed the charges, emailing friends for hours without dad knowing where they where. He states NEVER AGAIN!

This is a vacation for the family, so spend it together. Play mini golf together, ride Flowrider on Freedom for those that are tall enough, enjoy the H2O zone since even adults love it with the kids. Just do not allow them to run wild disturbing folks relaxing in the sun.

Be safe & enjoy yourself!!!!

If you purchase a photo from the ship, don't have your copies made or order a package on the ship. Somewhere on this board, someone has the link to the copywrite waver that you can take to WalMart or anyother photo copying service to have less expensive copies made.

The only exception to this is if someone you are traveling with is diabetic, as is my husband, so we carry cookies and pop off all the time and have no problem getting through customs. Same when we go through TSA screening and have a can of pop with us and cookies..........thank goodness for his Medic Alert bracelet.

• 4 weeks later...
Can you apply for the RCCL card onboard? If so, where do you do this, Crown & Anchor Lounge or somewhere else?

Thanks!

Regardless if it´s the RCCL Visa or the Crown and Anchor Membership, you can apply for both onboard as well as online.

Both can be done with the Loyalty Ambassador. You can find his/her place and times in the Cruise Compass. At the desk there are information sheets and forms for both and usually there´s a drop off box for them.

Of course C&A membership appliance won´t work until you are on your first cruise or after the completion of it.

Many good advise in your post.

Though I have to add my comments on two.

It´s a very personal thing of how much you´ll be in your cabin. I for example spend lots of time in my cabin and like at least a balcony or better something bigger. I know it´s me any YMMV but I like the bigger room and the possibility to open the door, have fresh air and the sound of the Seas, so it´s weel worth the extra money for me.

Well I did the calculation and have to say it may be true in many cases but not always. So you have to do the calculation over and over again.

I.E. right now I have to cruises booked and am doing the calculation.

I´m monitoring the exchange rates very closely and the Dollar is very weak right now against the Euro so right now it´s well worth for me to pay my final balance now - up to seven month - earlier than I had to. Calculating the interest in the money against the saving using the average exchange rate over the last year - year and a half brings me way ahead.

I´m just wanting to make clear that though the advise is good, you have to make the calculation very carefully and take all factors into account. You maybe surprised by the result.

Teach a class or seminar at sea' date=' and you may cruise for free!

How do I find out more about this?

Kim[/quote']

To start, I would check with RCI HQ. I know that there is a support company that sets up these people for a cruise line. I just don't remember the name, but they had a website online which I visited and saw several postings. Or, search this site using keywords?

Lastly, perhaps a proposal can be sent to RCI outlining what you could teach or lecture on and why that would be of value. We met a couple who were teaching arts and crafts classes on a cruise.

I will be sending them my own proposal soon.

About the teaching onboard, I can´t give many details as to how it works and if you cruise for free or whatever the deal is. However I happened to dine with some of those people a couple of times.

So to give you another idea of what´s possible, I have dined once with bridge lectures and another time with an enrichment lecturer having three lectures of about 45 minutes on a 12-night cruise about Agatha Christie and her life.

I think the wine policy changed since you made your list.

Each ship and line has different policies.

I believe RCI's official policy is no wine to be brought on board. What actually happens on each ship is probably much different.

Cheers!

Thanks.

I checked the official policy in a 2007 RCI cruise vacation planner:

"Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of call or from onboard shops will be stored by the ship and delivered to guest staterooms on the last day of the sailing."

I will amend my list to include this statement. On our next cruise, I will check about the "corkage provision".