Cape Horn Clothing

billteer

Anyone been on Oceania around South America? We are leaving Valparaiso on February 5 for Buenos Aires. What will the weather be like going around the Cape? Do we need heavy jackets or just windbreakers? Any comments will be appreciated.

Bill

I support this advice. We did Antarctica and by layering covered everything from Iguazu to Antarctica within a single set of clothing. Make sure your top layer is light and has good wind and rain protection, then everything underneath can vary with the conditions.

We did this cruise on Mercury in January 2002. I think a rainproof windjacket, like a goretex, plus blue jeans will be fine. It will be windy in some ports and possibly rainy, but not freezing cold by any means.

In Puerto Montt we hired, over the net, a German company called Aqua Motion, based in Puerto Varas, to provide a great tour including river rafting down the Petrohue River. Grab this outfit if you can. We also found our own tour for four of us in Punta Arenas which was very good and quite reasonable.

In Ushuaia do NOT take the "Train to the End of the World". It is a total rip off, especially at ship's tour prices. Find your own tour, hire a taxi, rent a car or take the local bus to the Tierra del Fuego National Park.

I understand that the best guide in the Falklands, Patrick Watts, is booked for this trip, but you can check his site and e-mail him for assistance. He is a great guy.

This was one of our favorite cruises, and we are sure you will love it. If you want to read my lengthy review, it can be found at http://www.cruisereviews.com, under Celbrity, then Mercury and then my name Philip M. Haggerty and the January 2002 date.

Archived