Panama Canal cruise...help please!

OzCruise

:confused:

We're looking at booking a Panama Canal cruise in 2007 (October/November), either on the Coral Princess (partial transit) or Island Princess (full transit).

I very slightly prefer the itinerary of the partial transit option - would it be silly to do this, and not do the 'full transit'?

Good morning Ozcruise,

If this is a once in a lifetime cruise, I would reccomend the full transit. We done this cruise several times, both full and partial but in my estimation, the full is by far best. Granted its a long day but, it really is an adventure arriving off Panama City at dawn and approaching the canal. If you do the partial, I would suggest an organised trip ashore as its a long day moored up in Gatuun Lake till you exit again. Our trips on the full transit have always been Pacific to Atlantic (Southbound) and I much prefer a balcony cabin on the Starboard side. Its a cruise not to be missed. Happy cruising, Jimmy

we have done this cruise 3 or 4 times--always the full transit--which i recomend.You cannot apreciate the canal unless doing full tranit>>There are many good books about building of the canal.

best is one called(this is not exact--but librarian can probably help)

From sea to sea---very big book

I also have done both the full and partial transit on the Coral. If you choose the partial transit you can do a excursion called Ocean to ocean(the name might be changed) It is pricey but we did do this: it is a ferry that takes you to the Pacific side and back. it does take all day. You can find info on the Ports of Call board about that excurison. Just do a search. We thought that would be the only time that we would be at the canal so we chose the partial transit. Since then we have done the full and it is unbelievable. Of course you stay on the ship all day.

Marilyn

Good morning Ozcruise,

If this is a once in a lifetime cruise, I would reccomend the full transit. We done this cruise several times, both full and partial but in my estimation, the full is by far best. Granted its a long day but, it really is an adventure arriving off Panama City at dawn and approaching the canal. If you do the partial, I would suggest an organised trip ashore as its a long day moored up in Gatuun Lake till you exit again. Our trips on the full transit have always been Pacific to Atlantic (Southbound) and I much prefer a balcony cabin on the Starboard side. Its a cruise not to be missed. Happy cruising, Jimmy

Can you tell me why you prefer starboard on the Pacific/Atlantic? And would port be better on the reverse trip?

Thanks.

In my opinion it does not matter which side you are on because you have no idea what lane the ship will go through until you get to the entrance of the canal. There are two lanes by the way.

Marilyn

We've have only taken complete transits of the canal so I can't compare the two types. I think I know why Haggis recommends a starboard balcony when transiting eastward(northward?) but I'll let him comment. We prefer an aft cabin for a transit. You can watch the locks close versus open and see the activity on both sides of the locks for the ship that follows. The cruise through Gatuun Lake was beautiful. Also if you only take a partial transit, you will miss the Bridge of the Americas. We have some wonderful black and white photos of this bridge. It still brings vivid memories to mind.

--Denise

:confused:

We're looking at booking a Panama Canal cruise in 2007 (October/November), either on the Coral Princess (partial transit) or Island Princess (full transit).

I very slightly prefer the itinerary of the partial transit option - would it be silly to do this, and not do the 'full transit'?

We are just booked on the Coral full transit repositioning cruise from Vancouver to Ft Lauderdale -- Sept 24th to Oct 11th 2007. The ship is filling up fast why don't you join us, there is a good thread on the "roll call" board, quite a few people are boarding in San Francisco but as we live near Vancouver it is convenient for us to do the whole itinerary. I am told the Coral is a great ship with a wonderful crew, we are definitely looking forward to it.

Maybe we will see you on board??

:confused: We're looking at booking a Panama Canal cruise in 2007 (October/November), either on the Coral Princess (partial transit) or Island Princess (full transit). I very slightly prefer the itinerary of the partial transit option - would it be silly to do this, and not do the 'full transit'?

We have done both and my recommendation is the full transit. Even if you do the ocean to ocean tour mentioned above, I think the experience will be much better on the full transit.

I notice you are from Australia. One advantage with the full transit is going FL to CA pr CA to FL, instead of FL round trip, one of your flight legs will be shorter. It will also give you an opportunity to do a pre and post cruise stay in two different cities. :D

we have done this cruise 3 or 4 times--always the full transit--which i recomend.You cannot apreciate the canal unless doing full tranit>>There are many good books about building of the canal.

best is one called(this is not exact--but librarian can probably help)

From sea to sea---very big book

It's title is "Path Between the Seas" by David McCullough. I found this book in the Regal Princess's library and read it during my recent full transit Panama Canal cruise. It is an excellent book about the history behind and the actual building of the Canal.

I had done a partial cruise previously from the Caribbean side. The full transit is much better since you see the whole operation and not just an replay in the PM of what you saw in the AM.

By the way you go north-west to the Caribbean from the Pacific side since the Panama City entrance is actually south-east of the Carb. ( Colon ) entrance. Most people mistakenly think that you go from west to east when you transit the canal from the Pacific side. Look at a map and you will see that the eastern portion of the North Pacific is actually south of the western portion of the Caribbean Sea and he country of Panama goes from Costa Rica in the west to Columbia in the east.

Our trips on the full transit have always been Pacific to Atlantic (Southbound) ...
... when transiting eastward(northward?) ...
The pedant in me wants to point out that Pacific -> Atlantic is northbound. This link should take you to the Google map of the southern (Pacific) end of the canal - you should be able to see the Bridge of the Americas and, at the top edge of the image, the first set of locks. Zoom out to see the remainder of the Canal.

We have done full transit last year - loved it. Will be going in April on Coral for a partial trasit. If you can spare time and money I will recommend full transit. And, by the way, best place to see it - front of the ship and the back of the ship. Experience is nothing like it. Go for it.

Safe cruising .............

Panama Canal in the "Ports of Call" section, has an excellent thread begun by ebslc, entitled "Panama Canal Crossings and Excursions Photo Trip Report + Tidbits" that is absolutely wonderful, with many photos of the canal.

Also, in the Panama Canal section, there are many other great discussions regarding the transit, itineraries, etc. We have learned much there.

Of course, if you like, you could join us on the Sun Princess on 19 April 2007 for a full transit - repositioning cruise. 17 nights total from Ft. Lauderdale, ending in Seattle. We are thrilled with the Seattle debarkation point as we only need to do a flight one way. ;)

Good Luck!:)

How kind you all are! Looks like a full transit then...sort of thought this might be the case, but was hoping to save some pennies for a cocktail or two...;)

Travel bug 2, we might just see you on your cruise, at least from the San Francisco bit. Have got a quote from our travel agent for your cruise for a mini-suite. Will keep us on bread and water for the next 6 months - it's the air fares that are really a drag. But you only live once, right??:D

Ozcruise ... Glad to hear we have been of help. To answer your question, I prefer the Starboard side travelling from the Pacific to the Atlantic ( I wont mention North or South) as in my opinion, thats the side where you can see most of the surrounding jungle and the work being done to improve the seaway. Last trip was on the Adonia (now Sea Princess) and our balcony cabin on A deck was superb. 'A' deck has a viewing area at the front which we used on our approach to the canal and as very few people were up there, we had a brilliant morning of photography of both the distant Panama City and the Bridge over the Americas. We stayed up on this viewing area till the first locks and then went down to the Prom deck to photograph the engines guiding us through. As the transit is at a sedate pace, theres no rush to do anything in a hurry but do ensure your camera is ready for loads of pictures. IMHO most of the interesting shots were on the Starboard side of the ship. The Cut, the community halfway through the canal and the jungle. There was a commentary by a local canal guide throughout the transit but, the only position I could really hear him was in our cabin with the TV channel tuned into the bow camera.

I will say that it was a very informative commentary and well worth a listen. You'll have time to wander all over the ship during the transit. As I said it's done at a sedate pace so you wont miss your food. What a thought.

Have a great time, we did,

Jimmy

...There was a commentary by a local canal guide throughout the transit but, the only position I could really hear him was in our cabin with the TV channel tuned into the bow camera.

I will say that it was a very informative commentary and well worth a listen. ...Jimmy

My DH is a big history buff and he was delighted with the commentary. I enjoyed the information too. The speaker would even point out alligators. We're always looking for photo ops!

Enjoy your cruise!

--Denise

How kind you all are! Looks like a full transit then...sort of thought this might be the case, but was hoping to save some pennies for a cocktail or two...;)

Travel bug 2, we might just see you on your cruise, at least from the San Francisco bit. Have got a quote from our travel agent for your cruise for a mini-suite. Will keep us on bread and water for the next 6 months - it's the air fares that are really a drag. But you only live once, right??:D

Glad to hear you are looking at our cruise. Come over to the roll call board and join the rest of us CCrs. The list is getting longer.

Can I share your bread and water please?, a little scotch in the water would help!!

Just got back from the partial transit on the Coral - loved every minute of the the cruise and the ship. Vowed to do it again, but to do the full transit next time. We did the Sea to Sea, and loved that too, but the thought of doing the full transit on the ship (with our Caribe balcony, of course) was just too breathtaking. However, you can't go wrong either way.

Am I going to be disappointed in a partial transit April 08? We have a 19 day r/t from LA booked and have really been looking forward to it. Did we make a mistake or will we love it anyway? HELP!!! Thanks - Bobbi...

We did the partial transit and loved it. We took the ocean to ocean tour once we got to Gatun Lake which took us through to Panama City. It was great to see the canal from 2 different perspectives...being on the Island Princess and just fitting the ship into each lock and then continuing on through on a boat that held 300 people and being in a lock with a huge cargo ship!! A very memorable cruise.

If you want the full transit look at the Island Princess for October 9, 2007. LA to Ft Lauderday and only 15 days not the 17 (may be less bread and water ).

Correction, the Coral from San Francisco to Ft Lauderdale is 15 days. It is 17 days if you board in Vancouver (two days at sea, then San Fran')

I don't mind bread and water as long as the scotch is added to the latter!!!

I vote for full transit. In fact I will be onboard the Regal in 14 days. Woo Hoo!

I figured for the distance that I must travel (from Seattle) I want to experince the most of the cruise. Besides, how many people do you know that have transited the entire canal. It will be an adventure to remember a lifetime.

Archived