all inclusive vs cruise ship..

We just love cruising but seem a little interested in the "other" vacation (an all inclusive resort). But yet i seem to feel that i would feel confined to one place, where cruising you are for most parts in a different port every day. Could anyone tell me the pros and cons of the inclusive resorts? any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks

cheryl

Cheryl:

We have done both and you really can't compare the two...........totally different vacations.........and we enjoyed both. ALL INCLUSIVE is that.....everything paid for drinks, meals, hotel and air all come in one package.

We used the all inclusive vacation to just lay on the beach and do nothing.....on a cruise we are doing activities and excursions all the time.

Jim

I agree with isujim, the experiencs are totally different and - adding to his comments both enjoyable. We went to an all inclusive in Cancun. Paid the price of an hour and a half of our time listening to a time share schpeel and went to chichen itza and xcaret on the TS. The rest of the time was the most relaxing vacation I have ever taken. If you like laying by the pool on sea days you'll love an all-inclusive.

Cruises are awsomely refreshing as well. Especially since my cell phone doesn't work while at sea.

We did Sandals in Nassau several years ago. My ONLY 2 complaints with the all inclusive were:

1. Very very very very little shade. With all the paved areas, pools etc, the reflected light was a bit much and the heat - well the heat even impressed this Floridian.

2. Lame evening Entertainment. I am not into camp type pool games - so the entertainment pickings were very very slim. Fortunately, we really enjoyed Nassau - and found lots to do outside of the all inclusive. Unfortunately, this diminished the all inclusive aspect of this.

Things I loved:

1. Variety of entertainment

2. Large comfortable room

3. Really got to know Nassau especially the rare times when there are no cruise ships in port. Now I love the place!

4. The bar was open

5. No pesky add ons.

6. No photos, artwork, froo froo drinks in souvenier glasses etc for sale

Will I do it again? Only if I find one with more shade.

We are going to Cancun for the first time on Friday. I can see a big difference already.....not NEARLY as much luggage. It is nice not to have to pack all the formal and dressy stuff. Shorts, shirts and sandals. Feeling relaxed already................

We were die-hard Sandals and Beaches fans. When my son was 7 (3 years ago) we had heard great things about the Disney cruise and decided to go on a 4-day cruise to see if we'd like it. We were hooked!

As much as I love Beaches in Turks and Caicos, the cruise is a much better value, and there is so much more to do for all of us. The one downside is that my husband likes to scuba dive, and at Beaches or Sandals it was included. It's a little pricey to go diving on a cruise.

My son (who is now 10) prefers the cruise as well. He loves the kids club, ice skating, rock wall, etc. If you ask him "Beaches or a cruise?", he will always say the cruise.

I do wish the cruiselines would offer some kind of all-inclusive package - I'd much prefer to pay all up front instead of being charges for every soda, etc.

Robin

I booked an all-inclusive resort in St. Lucia for my honeymoon in 1990. Thought I had planned it well... but a couple of things really bothered me. You could not go to the bar (or order) and get a bottle of champagne and a bucket of ice to take back to your room. If you wanted a drink - you had to go to the bar and get one... even if you were lounging near the pool or on the beach; no service other than bartenders. Also --- no room service at all. No breakfast in bed or on the beautiful veranda that we had. When we arrived at about 3 in the afternoon, exhausted and hungry after a long day of traveling, there was no food available until the 5pm snack bar opened.

And so -- the resort was beautiful, the island lush, the vacation paid for, and we were just married..... but a little of the romantic ambience was missing.

That's the big thing...shade. When you're looking at the pictures, make sure there are trees going out to the water. I didn't think about that when we went to an all-inclusive. We lucked out and got to spend everyday under a tree on a nice sandy beach with the ocean coming right up. We went on a couple of tours and in that heat you notice the lack of trees on some of the other beaches.

Comparing the 2 different types is not realistic. You do different things on each of them, so it's more like, what do you feel like doing on your vacation?

Our family has done both--a 7 day Mariner cruise and a week at Beaches Negril. Overall I think that an all-inclusive is the better value--you know up front exactly how much your trip is going to cost. Beaches also had excursions that you could 'add-on' to the total cost but that was it in the way of fees. I really really liked that part.

While the Mariner was fabulous and I'd go again in a minute, it really was annoying having that little calculator in my head constantly adding up what we were spending--seeing the final tally was breathtaking. We did have fun, though!

To add to the positives of all-inclusives vs. cruises, we loved our port stops in St. Thomas and St. Maarten and hated to leave the beaches, etc. at the end of the day. That tells me that we're probably more resort people than cruise people but hey, a trip's a trip and we can have a great time about anyplace where there's sun and fun.

I agree with the above posters. I have done both and loved the Moon Palace south of Cancun. It is a large resort with lots of shade and things to do but the weather was very windy while we were there. If you are on a cruise ship, chances are you won't have bad weather the whole week. That is a major plus in my opinion.

We just got back from a 5 star all-inclusive to Puerto Vallarta. Previously we had done 2 cruises on RCI. We hated the all-inclusive. We did a 4 day, wished we had done 3 day and glad we didn't do 7 day!

Reasons:

1. The food. It was horrible. Hot dogs and Mac and Cheese would have been better. It was served buffet style. This was awful, and every night we were there, it was the same awful crappy food each night. The third night we were there I almost cried going through the buffet line. Plus you had to (or atleast I did) worry if what you were eating was going to make you sick or not. Also, there were flies everywhere.

2. There was no structure to the whole dining proces. You ate when you wanted to and you wore whatever you wanted to.

3. The water. We had to drink bottled water the entire time. We also had to brush our teeth with bottled water.

4. There was nothing to do, no entertainment! They had a lame show each night, we went one night and left early. During the day they did pool games, but basically you could sit in the pool and drink or sit in the pool and drink.

5. The walls of the hotel room were paper thin at best. You could hear everything going on at the lame show, everything in the hallway, and everything in the next room. It was very hot and humid and everything smelled like mold and mildew.

Best thing there? the booze! But you can only drink so much.

Was the all-inclusive a better value? It was cheaper, but IMHO not a better value. If you are a big drinker, it's probably a better value. We did have shade though.

and to those of you that are thinking, "she's just a spoiled american", yep you are right! I am a spoiled american cruiser.

We love both for very different reasons. All-inclusives are great, relaxing, do nothing type of vacations - give me a drink by the pool, good book and I'm happy. Never had a problem with shade. Food has also always been pretty good. We have used cruising vacations to check out possible all-inclusives - some islands I couldn't imagine spending a week there; others we really liked. We visited Aruba a couple of times on a cruise and then went back and spent a week at an all inclusive - a lot of people say Aruba has too many good restaurants to go all inclusive, but we like the price of the "all inclusive" with everything being paid for. Also did the same thing in Barbados. If you find an island that you like when you are cruising, check out an all inclusive while you are in port. It doesn't take that long and most resorts are happy to give information to "possible future guests."

Have done both. Always go with a rather large group of friends to all inclusives so we have a blast. Have done Cancun (Beach Palace) and Dominican (Iberostar) which were both great. Would have to say they were the better value. $1000 total including air from Phila. and drinks for a week. They had to have lost money on our group, LOL! Dominican is a great destination if you just want to lounge around and relax. I love that. We had waiters on the beach and by the pool. I like the swim up bars.

Having said that I really think I like cruising better. I just love the movement of the ship and the ports of call. It does give you an idea if you would like to do a week at an all inclusive at your stops...Either way just take me on vacation!! :)

We have experienced both cruising and all inclusive resorts and enjoy both (we just love to get away to where it's warm!). I find cruising more structured and all inclusive land vacations more relaxing!! CRUISING-The food and entertainment are better .(Average age of other vacationers seems older ).We find cruising a bit less expensive than a 4-4.5* all inclusive.... ALL INCLUSIVES (I've done aprox. 15 of these - favorite destination= Varadero Cuba)..I enjoy the relaxation ,and the freedom (less confinement) with an all inclusive . As another member stated there is allot less to pack ,all alcohol is included and most activities (even scuba diving at some). One thing about all inclusive compared to cruise is you do NOT get the line ups on an all inclusive like you do on a cruise (disembarking,customs ect) and you don't get all those silly photo-ops !!! We are doing both again this year!

I loved our AI vacations in Iberostar Punta Cana and Iberostar Hasienda Dominicus(La Romana).

Food and accomodations were great as well as entertaiment.

My only complaint was I hate to be on the beach for so long doing nothing. 1 hour is enough for me, and I don't like sand! Other than that property was beautifull with great pools, bars, pool bar etc. I loved flamingos and other exotic birds and animals.

Big advantage of the cruise for me is ability to visit different places. Even if you don't go on shore excursions it's still something new every day. :) Also I think it's easier to meet people and make friends on the ship.

I agree with Girlzillla (except for comment #5... I don't really remember that). That being said, it was a vacation... without kids... with friends... and we did enjoy ourselves...(because I believe it is what you make of it) But, unless someone else was paying for it :D , I'd opt for a cruise over another AI ANY time!

JMHO

A

have done both like both >>>prefer cruising

cancun is better then punta cana IMHO

in cancun you can get in a taxi (or bus or walk) to places off the resort and do something different plus there are MANY excursions you can do to places like XCARET CHICHEN ITZA TULUM ISLA MUJERES, SNORKLELING ADVENTURE and so on all very safe and booked through the hotels!!!

PUNTA CANA sit and drink at the resort DONT LEAVE EVER!!!!

so i prfer cruising but if you do all inclusive try cancun(have been 3 times)

We've done both and love both. We love to be active and get out and explore so we take port-intensive cruises and go to all inclusives in places where you have lots to do and where it's safe to be out and about. We're headed off to an Iberostar in Playa del Carmen soon, where we've visited before. We will probably rent a car and see some ruins and visit one of the eco parks, do some shopping in PDC, and take the ferry one day to Cozumel. I am looking forward to everything being paid for, the beach and huge pools being outside my door rather than a cab ride or excursion away, and being able to relax and explore without worrying about getting back to the ship. On the other hand I love the fact that on a cruise you visit lots of places. And there is nothing like sleeping on a cruising ship! We don't cruise for the planned activities or the gambling so I won't miss those. They really are apples and oranges and I would gladly do either.

My son and his girlfriend did an AI in Punta Cana, DR. They nearly starved to death. They HATED the food. The buffet had a whole pig on it every night and people were picking meat off of it with their fingers.....fingers in mouth....back on pig....you get the picture. His girlfriend is a beef and potatos girl. All they had was rice. The buffet food was always cold. They will never do that again. He has been on 2 cruises and prefers cruising.

I don't think I will do an AI. We are going to Cancun, but not AI. I want the option of trying other restaurants. We don't really drink, so AI's aren't a value for us.

My son and his girlfriend did an AI in Punta Cana, DR. They nearly starved to death. They HATED the food. The buffet had a whole pig on it every night and people were picking meat off of it with their fingers.....fingers in mouth....back on pig....you get the picture. His girlfriend is a beef and potatos girl. All they had was rice. The buffet food was always cold. They will never do that again. He has been on 2 cruises and prefers cruising.

I don't think I will do an AI. We are going to Cancun, but not AI. I want the option of trying other restaurants. We don't really drink, so AI's aren't a value for us.

Starved???

Cold food in buffet?

Picking meat off of it with their fingers??? With majority of people there from Europe I don't see how this could've happen. :cool:

It was the best buffet I ever so. We didn't even use alternative (Italian and Mexican and Steaks restaurants)!!!

They even had suckling pig there during several evenings (not every night) but there was special guy who was cutting it.

I'd say food was very close to gourmet food.

These resorts (Iberostar) are owned and operated by European(Spanish/German) company and I remember every morning besides the usual sausages, bacon, eggs etc there were great European meats and cheeses, breads of many kinds etc.

They had special corner with "American" food and pizza, although I haven't seen many people eating there.

Agreed, I found the food at Iberostar Punta Cana excellent. I liked the buffet better than any of the specialty restaurants. You don't have to stay at the resort. There are many trips you can take off the property should you choose to see the countryside as we did...I could remain under those little straw huts all day and drink Coco Loco's ;)

We just went to Playa Del Carmen last month and stayed at the Iberostar Del Mar. It was an amazing resort and we loved it. The food was great and the service was awesome. Ive never seen a pool so huge and beautiful in my life. But we love to cruise also and are going in October to the bahamas. They are very different but both alot of fun. We really like the all inclusive because everything is payed for before you go. I do add in tips tho for cruising into our spending money so have enough.

For me...Right now I would have to say....All Inclusive was a better deal for us. Have done both and I think I enjoyed not having to fork out so much extra money while we were there. I liked where if I ordered a drink and I didn't like it or if it melted before I finished...I could get another one with out paying again. I like how everything is paid up front and that is it unless you leave the resort...which we did...but I still liked the all inclusive better. We had 4 or so restaurants to choose from and they were all great and we also had 24 hour room service and a fully stocked and restocked mini bar....Loved it!!!! So if I had to choose...I would say all inclusive.

We do both at least once a year. We were married at an all inclusive in Jamaica and go back every year for 10 to 14 days. This is my husbands kind of vacation laying around, eating, drinking and reading a book. We also go on a cruise (for me) I want to do and see more things, so he tags along.

We actually LOVE doing both and as stated above they are different but then any vacation is what you make it.

ifn yer not gona do a cruise, then the european plan, not all inclusive, is a better option.

they provide the resort, room and cleaning and such, you do yer own thing fer dining drinking and tours.

and now, with cruise ships looking to add cell phone service, cruising is loosing it's one real advantage to spending a week in cozumel, st kitts, or aruba.

Archived