all inclusive vs cruise ship..

Any vacation is what you make it, and what kinds of things happen while there. We had cruised several times before trying the El Presidente in Cabo. Unfortunately, our daughter contracted paratyphoid samanella poisoning from the all inclusive hotel. The whole experience was a nightmare. We couldn't get home fast enough. Our teenage daughter was so ill, they thought she had e coli at first. Results were sent to the health department, which paid us a visit to ascertain where she picked it up. It wasn't from the water (she drank bottled water only, even to brush her teeth.) but they suspect it was on the vegetables they washed with water. One can never be too careful. We will probably never do an all inclusive again - at least not with our daughter. We have never been so scared in all our lives.

I have been to 2 all inclusives and it was great not to have to worry about a thing. August 8th will be my first cruise and I am truly concerned about the amount of money that we will have to pay at the end!

i don't drink, and really prefeer to eat at the local establishments.

get some real local flavor, not the same bland international cuisine, like what ya get on a cruise ship.

Well we had done all inclusive in Cuba, Margarita Island & Peurta Valarta??. Each time the all inclusive seemed to get better. The biggest downer for us was the food. First couple of days it was ok but then it seemed so repetitive and by the end of the 7 days you were anxious to get home. Although it is free booze the bartenders even tell you it is the cheapest on the island. No matter how much you drank it rarely affected you. Last year I dragged my DH on a 10 day Princess cruise and now he says he can't see going back to the all inclusive. We paid less for the 10 day cruise then we did for the 7 day. Our onboard account was only about $400pp and that included all the souvenirs we had purchased on ship and our two excursions we had booked with Princess. We are already booked again for this year and with all the credits from Princess and TA we already have $200pp in our onboard account. NOW... our thoughts could change if we were to have heavy seas and a rough ride as we are both prone to motion sickness. Our seas were like glass on our first cruise.

I'm shocked to hear all of these negative reviews surrounding All Inclusive Resorts. I've been to four of them and loved each and every place. A big part of the experience has to do with the resort that you stay with. I've stayed at Sandals, SuperClubs (Breezes & Grand Lido). They are ALL top notch inclusive resorts. Unlike some of the previous posts, we had 24 hour room service. You can get drinks anytime, anywhere. For instance, I was in the night club and I wanted Champagne. They were out of it, so the bartender went to another bar on the resort to get it for me. Top notch service. Grand Lido has a main dinning room plus approximately 5 different speciality restuarants. They had beautiful gardens and tennis courts. Breezes always had entertainment - - during the day and at night. There's an arcade and a piano bar with sing alongs. To me, SuperClubs is the best. I would definitely recommend it. But, the key is finding the best place to suit your lifestyle. They have all inclusive resorts ranging from family fun (Beaches), Young and wild (Hedonism), upscale & classy (Grand Lido Sans Soucci) includes free spa treatments and has a full scale golf course.

But, don't forget, you get what you pay for. Pay cheap and you'll get cheap.

I'm a BIG supporter of all inclusives. It can be very relaxing and very fun. It's all what you make of it and where you choose to go. And, don't forget, you can take tours off the resort if you want to experience the local area.

I went to Sandal's Dunn's River in Jamaica for my Honeymoon and absolutley loved it!! Even the cheesy games, like "The Newleywed Game", which I believe they do at times on cruise ships :rolleyes: . They had Toga Party's and buffet dinner's on the beach, way cool. The food was excellent most of the time. We had a suite, so we had a bar in our room, and if we asked for something to be added, it was not a problem at all. I love the All Inclusive because you don't have to worry about any extra charges. But one thing I did notice, we did not drink much at all. My husband and I like to partake, but not to the point of ruining our vacation by having a hangover :eek: , so it wasn't a big deal.

Now for cruising, I absolutley love cruising. It's so elegant at dinner time. And I could not wait to wake up every morning and look out my window to see the new island we were at :) The food is usually excellent, just like the all inclusive. But your bound to get a bumm meal at either. A few things to think about when cruising though. Do you want a go go go vacation?? If so then a cruise is for you. But you also have the choice to just relax on board or hit a beach for the day or on one of the islands. It's all what YOU make of it or want it to be. I always find that after a cruise I need another vacation to relax from my cruise, lol :D

There are many different types off All Inclusives and just like a cruise, you can participate as much as you want or not. It all just depends on what type of vacation you want.

Good Luck!

Jennifer :)

about 10 years ago, when my wife and I were still "young" we went to the Bitter End Yacht Club in Virgin Gorda - all inclusive. it was simply magnificent. it was fairly expensive when we went, but was well worth it. the food was unbelievable. the resort was a stones throw from Richard Branson's Necker Island. it was basically in the middle of nowhere. no phones (and no cell phones back then either), no TV, lots of boats, pure relaxation.

now, we're older, have a family, and probably wouldn't enjoy an all inclusive resort the way we did when we were younger.

our daughter has been on two cruises with us (with a 3rd coming next year) and it works very well for us.

We've only been to one all-inclusive (Beaches in Turks/Caicos) and had a great time. Food was wonderful (several different restaurants to choose from) and alcohol was top-shelf. Since they have a strict no tipping policy, I was a bit concerned about service - not to worry. Even with a swim-up bar and inside bar near the pool, I was approached several times while lounging by the pool by employees asking if I would like a drink or anything at all to make me happy. I knew it was going to be great the day we arrived - the motor coach picked up a large group of us at the airport and drove to the main building. We were seated in the lovely lobby and given champagne and rum drinks. One by one, our names were called and we were given gift pouches of shampoo/conditioner/suntan lotion, etc., etc. and our room keys - the luggage was already in the rooms. So nice.

Even the one morning it rained, instantly, various board games, etc., were brought out to the lobby for people to play. There was also a huge arcade room with free arcade games.

A really nice thing is that the wallets went into the room safe the day we arrived and didn't emerge until the day we left. DH once stopped at the gift shop intending to buy aspirin for a headache - he was told that the infirmary would be happy to give it to him free - which they did!

Having said all that, I am quite happy to be by the pool or on the beach all day with my trashy novel and frozen drink, but DH likes more "structure" to his days and is not a beach lover, so we cruise which makes us both happy.

Has anyone run across a good website or message board (a CriuseCritic equivalent) for AI's. Cruised the Caribbean 3 times now considering something different. Beaches looks promising.

wow everyone!!! thanks for all of your insite on this thread, we still don't know if we will do an all inclusive but with the wealth of info and your oppinions this will sure help.

thanks again!!

cheryl

If you do...pick at least 4**** or better 5***** , and you'll like it.

We will be doing our first cruise in 21 days to Alaska. We love AIs and our favorite is also IBEROSTAR. We have been to the one in Mexico, Quitzel 2x. So classy! Great food, fab beach. My big fear on this AK cruise is the food. Will it be as good as the Iberostar? Not much posted on RCL's Vision of the Seas.

We will be doing our first cruise in 21 days to Alaska. We love AIs and our favorite is also IBEROSTAR. We have been to the one in Mexico, Quitzel 2x. So classy! Great food, fab beach. My big fear on this AK cruise is the food. Will it be as good as the Iberostar? Not much posted on RCL's Vision of the Seas.

While I like RCI line for it's beautifull ships and things to do on the ship, food isn't RCI's strong point. If a great food is your main preference book on Celebrity. I don't want to say food is "bad" or anything, you won't go hungry and some dishes are very good but nothing exceptional.

Just my honest opinion.

The only AI I went to was Cancun Palace in, you guessed it, Cancun. The resort itself was beautiful. But, the food got very old very fast. We were there in August and I don't think their refrigeration system was very good...warm milk at breakfast, etc...and we got Montezuma's Revenge by the 3rd day. We drank only bottled water and ate only their food, so it was definitely something in the food. All food tasted the same whether it was seafood, pasta, mexican, or whatever, they put the same nasty spice on everything. After the 4th or 5th day, we HAD to go eat elsewhere we just couldn't eat there anymore.

That being said, I don't feel like I would never try an AI again. I might. It just depends where I'm going and what I feel is the best option for me at the time based on the research I do. Wherever you go, I'd recommend you check out tripadvisor.com. There are reviews there from AI's, hotels, b&bs, condos all over the world. At least you'll know what to expect wherever you go.

Archived