Whale watching excursions Cabo

gatorchinsky

I've been on the whale watching trip, but in a relatively big boat. We went two years ago in January and saw lots of whales. The whales pop up out of the ocean almost randomly and we did not see a lot of breaching...so getting a breach picture like the one posted previously is really a matter of luck and cannot be expected. The whales travel in small family groups and may go down for ten minutes before you see them again and then they might be a half mile away when they pop back up...so the boat has to guess where they will come up and speed over there once they are sighted.

When we went, the water was slightly choppy... The zodiacs were bopping around and I would guess that they got splashed racing to see the whales. The zodiacs were able to get very close to the whales. Overall, I was not into whales all that much, but I was impressed with the trip and thought it was worth it.

One of the additional benefits of the trip is that you get to go past the famous arch over there...that is great for picture taking too...

Best wishes!

Cynbar

We are also booked on the Zodiak in Feb. I was wondering how wet you might get and if I'd need protection for my camera equipment.

Kay

We did bring windbreakers and a waterproof bag for our camera, but we must have had an exceptionally calm day, because we really didn't get wet at all.We also weren't cold, but again, that might be because we stayed dry. The experience was just great, just like the pictures above. We also had a group of whales and later dolphins who swam next to our boat for awhile, as if they were the sightseeing tourists and we were the sights!! And, I agree with the comment that you get to do other sightseeing (such as the arches) with great photo ops -- the sea lions are a treat also, real clowns.. We definitely recommend the zodiac tour to anyone who asks...

We took the ship whale watch from the Pride a couple of years ago in early Feb and were on the Cabo Rey. The best part is that we only went a little ways out of the harbor before we started seeing whales. They were just lounging in the water next to the boat and not even diving much. The zodiacs are not legally allowed to get any closer to the whales. But you will be closer to the water and get a little thrill ride thrown in. We saw several smaller boats that people had gone on around us when the whales were near. We are going again this Feb.

Johann & Sandra,

When were these pictures taken? We will be in Cabo on the Oosterdam the 28th of this month. Because of the azipod being broken our port time has been reduced and we are scheduled to be in Cabo from 7am -1 pm only:confused: this is very disappointing to me since I was really hoping to see whales. What do you suggest I do?

Beth

Johann & Sandra,

When were these pictures taken? We will be in Cabo on the Oosterdam the 28th of this month. Because of the azipod being broken our port time has been reduced and we are scheduled to be in Cabo from 7am -1 pm only:confused: this is very disappointing to me since I was really hoping to see whales. What do you suggest I do?

Beth

Hi Beth,

I'm not sure exactly when they were taken, however it was either this season or last. We just got them in the past few days, but Carlos (the zodiac owner) may have been hording them for a while :D

The Oosterdam is really struggling - you'll be lucky if you even port at Cabo at all, the way it's been going. We've had to send back a lot of money to folks on the Oosterdam lately (no-port, no-pay). However, there is an 8:00 AM and a 10:30 AM departure for the zodiac trips, each is 2 hours long. You can probably work that into your brief schedule. Call the tour company or agency you want to book your trip with to get their recommendations though. They'll know best.

If you don't get to go in Cabo, never fear. There are great zodiac whale watching trips in Puerto Vallarta as well. They leave at 8:30 AM and 1:30 PM daily (4 hour trips).

Have a great time!

Can anyone tell me if it is a waste of time and money to go on the zodiac whale watching excursion the last day of March? Any possibility of seeing whales?

Thank you

Debr

Hi Debr,

That's impossible to say, because some years they're in the bay until early April, others they're gone by early March. If you get skunked, you still got a fast and fun zodiac ride, great views and photo ops of The Arch (El Arco), Lovers Beach and Lands End, and it was only a couple hours out of your day. Even if you don't see whales, you very well may see dolphins, manta rays, sea turtles, or other wildlife. Your guides will try their best to make the trip fun for you, with or without whales.

Another option is to book a boat tour like the La Princesa Catamaran, Buccaneer Queen or Cabo Rey, which feature snorkeling and open bars. Then, if you don't see whales, at least you got lots of booze, lunch, and had fun snorkeling and enjoying the sunshine, not to mention great photo ops.

Hope this helps, have a great time!

Archived