What were you offered after cancellation?

ialacruiser

We were cancelled from the Diamond a few years ago. We were offered a $600 pp credit for another cruise valid within the next year. We had time and place conflicts and finally settled on Tahiti. This was several years ago. RSSC would not honor Tahiti as part of the credit. We gave up and never used the credit. We also lost money because our air was booked through airline "points" and it was $200.00 to cancel and redeposit the points. Sometimes it is just a loss. We do not buy insurance. Cruise lines all do what they want. It is not worth fighting with them. We are booked on Paul Gaughin for next week, finally, and we are looking forward to it!

LBLBSC, I'm betting that was during the "bad year" or so when the PG got sold to Grand Circle, etc., and there were lots of fights over fares and quality. I'm betting that if this happened today, you could use such a discount on the PG. Too bad you lost money, but I do hope you enjoy the Paul Gauguin, it's my favourite ship.

LBLBSC, was your cruise cancelled when the Diamond was sold? That is what happened to us. We had a Med cruise booked and the ship got sold, so RSSC had to cancel our booking. We ended up going with Silversea that year, because we couldn't find another itinerary that worked for us on RSSC. However, they gave us a really nice cruise credit to use on a future cruise. They have been great to work with and even extended it for us until we could find the time and an itinerary that worked for us.

Also, we were told early on by our agent that our future cruise credit was available on any ship other than the Paul Gaugin. I'm not 100% sure why that was, but I seem to remember it had to something to do with the way that the Paul Gaugin is leased by Carlson, that differentiated it from the other ships.

We hope you guys have a fabulous time on the PG. That is a cruise that we want to do as well.

Yes - I think it was a med cruise and the cancellation happened when the Diamond was pulled. I think RSSC/Regent leased the Diamond, and they also lease the PG, but own the other ships. Like I said, I think cruise lines, all of them, do what they want in these circumstances because it is a business, and they can. The ships are pretty full now. In 2001 and 2002 it was a buyers market, but things have changed! We switched over to SeaDream and they are just wonderful, but SeaDream does not go to Tahiti. We go next week on the PG; I hold no grudges about the cancellation anymore, and I am looking forward to being on the PG. We love the smaller ships, and loved the Song of Flower also. So off we go! I was only mentioning my never-used credit, because I think that at some point anyone who cruises regularly, will run into a cruise change of some sort, and it is a ship, a business, and also at the whims of mother nature.

Archived