Military Discount ID

JaneMP69

RCCL website now states that "proper military identification" is needed for a military discount. This is a change from just yesterday. I just emailed them yesterday asking when they would clear up the discrepancy with the blue card only for identification. They haven't returned my email but that answer is there now.

RCCL website now states that "proper military identification" is needed for a military discount. This is a change from just yesterday. I just emailed them yesterday asking when they would clear up the discrepancy with the blue card only for identification. They haven't returned my email but that answer is there now.

They messed something else up with this too. I don't know if they have fixed this yet. But on the website, it stated that the discount applied to active, retired, and members with at least 2 years service with proper discharge papers. When I called to have the discount added to my most recent booking, they said that if you are not active or retired, you have to have at least 20 years.

Ok they are just as confusing as ever. When you are going through the reservation process, it says proper identification on the light blue section tht is for seniors, residency, etc. If you go to the what does this mean, it does say 2 years with honorable discharge with a blue id card. Same old stuff but just hidden further. On the FAQ page, it still states you must use a special TA. I think a five-year old could better proofread this website. No email from them so I am just forgetting that particular cruise.

Ok they are just as confusing as ever. When you are going through the reservation process, it says proper identification on the light blue section tht is for seniors, residency, etc. If you go to the what does this mean, it does say 2 years with honorable discharge with a blue id card. Same old stuff but just hidden further. On the FAQ page, it still states you must use a special TA. I think a five-year old could better proofread this website. No email from them so I am just forgetting that particular cruise.

That's exactly where I saw it too. Amazing. When I called, they said it is another one of those infamous "misprints."

But, it's on the website, so it sould be an easy fix. Nope, it still says 2 years.

Has anyone actually played around with this? I have tried a quick price check with both Military ID checked and one with it not checked. There was NO difference in price? Where's the discount? Does it show up somewhere else?

I have already booked a Christmas cruise for next year, before they started this "military ID" thing. When I checked it again, it's actually more expensive if I were to book it now with the military ID checked. I'm confused! :confused:

Has anyone actually played around with this? I have tried a quick price check with both Military ID checked and one with it not checked. There was NO difference in price? Where's the discount? Does it show up somewhere else?

I have already booked a Christmas cruise for next year, before they started this "military ID" thing. When I checked it again, it's actually more expensive if I were to book it now with the military ID checked. I'm confused! :confused:

The discount is only on certain sailings. I found one, it's for the Enchantment Jan. 3 (I think) sailing and the discount in $10 pp. I have also heard that closer to a sailing date the greater chance of them giving the mil. discount. It is also not on every cat. cabin.

The discount show when you are selecting your cabin category. That is the same with all discounts. I always thought that was a more complicated way to do it. Some of the online travel agencies show a llitle * if there are discounts on a cruise and then you can look further. Unless some other discount gives me a better deal The Soverign can just sail without me for now. I'm not giving it anymore of my time until they get it straightened out and the entire site has the same info.

I went back and re-read the message that pops up when you click "What is this?" in the reservations process on-line. Number 3 specifically says that you are eligle for the military discount if you have been Honorably Discharged with a minimum of 2 (two) years service.

I wasn't satisfied with them telling me it was a typo. How could they "typo" an entire paragraph? Someone had to of typed that paragraph in there. When I talked to CS, they told me they couldn't log into the website to see what I was talking about. What???:confused:

My TA's on the case. We'll see what happens.

Yeah, three different sections tell you three different things so I am just passing altogether until they get their act straight. Under the what does this mean it is still asking for the blue id card when that is not given to vets with two years service. I don't care who they give the discount to but I wish the website said the same thing in all three spots.

I see OSU on your avatar but Florida in your location...so which is it? We don't talk to OSU fans around here.:p

There is no military discount on this cruise. If one were available it would be listed in an additional pricing box on the pricing page. The price on this cruise has sky rocketed since it first came out. Our balcony cabin has gone up $800.00 per person. If my memory serves me correctly it appears that the Jr. Suite has gone up $1100.00. The E2 is now more than what the Grand Suite started out at. Booking early sure paid off with this cruise.

I see OSU on your avatar but Florida in your location...so which is it? We don't talk to OSU fans around here.:p

Born and raised in Ohio and went to OSU. (Thats #1 OSU):p :p :p

But, I'm now a Floridian because those gray skies were too depressing.;)

When I noticed our Splendour cruise qualified for a military discount, I called C & A. I told them that DH was retired navy reservist with a pink ID card. I also have pink ID card issued for dependants. After being on hold for a while, they came back and said they would accept this. I was really pleased and called my TA. She called and got my account credited.

I asked C & A if we would have any trouble boarding and she said no , as long as one of us had the ID card to show them. She also stated that some of the active Army uses the pink ID card now and that RCCL was in the process of changing the wording on the website for clarification.

Seems clear as mud to me.

I talked to RC yesterday about the 2year military discount. She told me her husband was released 3 years ago with 2 years of service and received a blue id card. 30 years ago we didn't. How do you get this blue id card?

The blue card is a military ID issued to retirees. I served 11 years and all I have to show for proof of Honorable Discharge is a DD214. If I remember correctly, the pink ID was for dependents.

Besides, I'm not sure how someone gets a total release after 2 years. When I joined, it was minimum mandatory 8 year commitment (4 yrs active followed by 4 yrs of either active, inactive, or active reserve) They may have shortened these times, but I don't think you can enlist for just a 2 yr total commitment.

My TA is working on getting a straight answer from RCI because they are still insisting the website does not say this.

If you were Army, you can call on any post and ask those questions about getting an ID card. I believe that DEERS department should be able to help. OR just call post information. I can tell you that I was out for 2 years, after 17.5 years in and I only rec'd a DD214. An ID gives you post entrance, commisary priviledges etc, so I don't think you get one when you get completely our of the army. (unless retired) If you are IRR then you could have one.

ugh-i dont know where RCI gets its information but they are asking for proof that does not exist-ID cards are issued as follows-for all services

serving service members-White DOD common access cards-this is all service members-active and drilling reservists

Dependants-Active duty entitled to medical care-peach or tan, reserve-not entitle to medical care-pink

retirees and retirees dependants- blue-this applies ONLY to retirees with 20 year or more of service active or reserve component or who were medically retired or retired early as part of the drawn down in the mid 90s-NOT people who were honorabley discharged vs retired.

a DD214 would be the only proof of service for honorably discharged vets who were not retired-there is NO ID for these people.

RCI needs to get thier info strait and not put out stuff that confuses people

Well, on TA had me fax a copy of my ID card, but when booked direct with the cruise line, never showed anything.

But again, most of the trips didn't have a military discount anyhow.

Dick in Falls Church, be careful about faxing your id card places, it's got your SSN on it, after all the crap with the VA this last year, and I work for the VA in Pittsburgh, so I got the double whammy from computer losses, I'd just be real careful about sharing my SSN with people that might not know to be careful with it, like TA's or RCL customer service. This is assuming that you're retired, the smart cards don't have SSN on them.

Well, on TA had me fax a copy of my ID card, but when booked direct with the cruise line, never showed anything.

But again, most of the trips didn't have a military discount anyhow.

Another line..hubby is rtd, but I am spouse..All I was asked to do w/online TA..copy DL and Mil ID card, fx to Cruiseline, and TA w/ proper info, date, name, ref # etc...and I got a %-age off cruise of my choice. was lower than sr, or past guest, or any other rate I qual-ed for..just ask!

Has anyone actually played around with this? I have tried a quick price check with both Military ID checked and one with it not checked. There was NO difference in price? Where's the discount? Does it show up somewhere else? :confused:

If this link works, it will show what the discounts look like. You have to start the reservation to see the discount. For this cruise, you would save $50 pp for a Q guarantee. There are other rooms including a Junior Suite discounted the same amount but this is just to show what the discounts look like. $100 discount for a couple is not bad.

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/booking/setDepartureInfo.do;jsessionid=0000D0TWNblGp8QloSVsIvTQQbh:10ktmf25f?shipCode=SP&childCount=0&hasTour=N&hasSenior=Y&hasMilitary=Y&hasTransfer=N&y=11&state=MI&packageCode=SP05WCG1&hasAir=N&sailDate=1070129&adultCount=2&x=20

Archived