Emergency- Master Chef Night

bookworm0911

I am wanting to make my PG reservation for my upcoming cruise and I think I want to go on Master Chef night. Could someone answer one or more of these questions asap- so I can make the reservation.

1. Is Master Chef dinner on a formal night?

2. What does anyone remember of the MC menu? I know it has been posted but I cannot remember.

3. Can anyone on the Volendam 10 day So. Caribbean remember what night it was? Which port day?

Thanks in advance for any info.

1. Is Master Chef dinner on a formal night? NO

2. What does anyone remember of the MC menu? I know it has been posted but I cannot remember.

Here's what we had:

Chef's Amuse Surprise

Mushroom mousse with asparagus en bouche (no choice here, take it or leave it)

[I]Show Salad Spectacular[/i]

Assorted baby greens, pepper rings, mushrooms, scallions, and cherry tomatoes wiht honey mustard dressing (again, no choice)

Starters

Dialogue of Alaskan Salmon Tartare with Avocado

Golden Baked Brie in Phyllo Dough

Lobster Bisque

Oxtail En Croute

Entrees

Tagliatelle with Roasted Chicken and Portobello Mushroom

Sauteed Shrimps Provencale

Apricot Glazed Salmon with Soya Garlic and Ginger Splash

Whole Roasted Tenderloin of Beef

Wild Mushroom Streudel

The Final Service (sounds ominous, doesn't it?)

Master Chef Rudi's "Hats Off Dessert"

or Ice Cream and Sorbet Alternatives (so one choice of dessert or ice cream and sorbet).

3. Can anyone on the Volendam 10 day So. Caribbean remember what night it was? Which port day?

Sorry, can't help you with this one.

Good luck:) Bon Voyage:)

Karin

That is the same menu we had on the Zaandam last month to Hawaii. Not being a fan of fungus (mushrooms to the rest of you) I found the selection VERY limited. It wasn't 'oh what do I pick tonight? - there are SO many good choices' It was 'what in the world is there fit to eat???' [i'm also limiting my carbs and what wasn't fungus was loaded with starch.] Our friends are sailing on the Oosterdam this Saturday and I suggested they check with the Pinnacle upon boarding to make their reservations for the night of the 'Master Chefs Dinner' - they should know there what night it is scheduled.

We had the Master Chef on day 7 if you start with day 1 vs. day 0. We happened to be in the PG; we would have liked to see the Master Chef dinner one time. Our tables mates thought it was too much fluff. It was a casual night.

It's day seven, seven, seven sorry i got confused and said 6 earlier.

Bookworm - how weird, the e-mail I received from the cc about the thread has your post as:

Thanks. Do you happen to remember the entrees? I know one post said Tenderloin of beef, but I was wondering what a few of the others may be. I am a fungus fan, but need more than those mushrooms to make it a meal! ;)
I can answer that - somewhat. I don't have my menu right now, but I do remember the tenderloin. That is what I probably would have ordered if it hadn't been described as being on a bed of earthy mushroom rice (pilaf?). I am going from memory a few weeks old, but I remember thinking that if it hadn't said 'earthy' I would have considered just dealing with the fungus. But the 'earthy' bit scared me into thinking the meat could be infused with the taste of mold (at least to my tastebuds) from the mushrooms.

Not an entree, but I did order the lobster bisque. Not like any bisque I've ever had before. It was pretty thin and not at all creamy - and I do prefer my lobster bisque with a touch of sherry or brandy ;) . Given the other options I would probably choose this again if needed, but in a blind taste test, I would NEVER be able to tell it was lobster or a bisque.

If you do want more info on the other entrees, I can look at my menu and post more later.

That's so funny, not weird. Your email is exactly what I posted and as I hit submit I knew I had had a brain crash and had just read Karin's post and was asking about the entrees and she had listed them. I edited immediately! But you got it anyway.

I know just what you mean about the bisque. I always order it, but it is not a bisque in the traditional sense. Certainly not thick, certainly not creamy. Must be Dutch bisque. :D

drdaddy has a thread on the 10-day Carribbean menus. A more complete discription of the entrees of Master Chef's Menu is on a link there. The tenderloin is on a bed of earthy mushroom ragout (all I needed to know was 'earthy' & 'mushroom') and the bisque is described as flavored with cognac. Something else I didn't taste in there besides the lobster. They probably had a bottle of it somewhere in the kitchen while the soup was made.. :rolleyes:

There were a few nights of our 15 that I would have liked to order from the 'always available' list that has been at the bottom of the menus - this night being first and foremost. I love grilled salmon. I hope they bring the 'always available' back before our next cruise.

Bookworm, here is the menu and date for Chef’s Master Dinner,

We left on the 13th on the Volendam and the dinner was on the 17th, we had just left Roseau, Dominica. NOT formal

Act I, Chef’s amuse Surprise- Mushroom mousse with asparagus en bouche

Act II, The Swing Service- Show Salad Assorted baby greens pepper rings mushrooms,scallons, and cherry tomatoes with a honey mustard dressing

Starters-Dialogue of Alaskan Salmon Tartare with Avocado( very good)

Golden Baked Brie in Phyllo Dough

Lobster Bisque—Sensuously smooth classical shellfish soup enhanced with aged French cognac, and whipped cream ( I thought it was fantastic)

Oxtail En Croute-Flavorful classical soup slow simmered and served in a crisp pastry crust

Entrees

Tagliatelle with roasted chicken and Portabello mushrooms, tossed in olive oiol and lemon juice

Sauteed shrimps Provencales- Served with Mediterranean herbs tomato concsse florets of crisp tender broccoli and sticky rice.

Apricot glazed salmon with soya garlic and ginger splash

Duck breast a la Orange-The old time favorite oven roasted until crisp and served with a grand marnier sauce braised red cabbage pea pods carrots julienne and William potato

Whole roasted tenderloin of beef- On an earth bed of calvados spiked forest Mushrooms ragout with vegetable bundle braised onion and horseradish mashed potato.(what I had and it was very good)

Wild Mushrooms Strudel - Select forest Mushrooms spinach and feta cheese rolled in phyllo dough and baked until crisp and flaky served with a Thai red curry sauce and a timbale of basmati rice.

Dessert of course was the chef hat or ice cream or sorbet

I hope this helps, I think there are enough Mushroom dishes for you to choose from.

Enjoy the dinner, Roy:D

This is what I wrote about the dinner:

Volendam Master Chef Dinner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There were only 2 dining times for this: 5:45 and 8:30.

It was on day #7 - an Informal night.

The group "The Mix" from the Crow's Nest played the music about 80% of the time. The crew staff and dancers from the production shows led the waitstaff in the dance routines. The lead singer from the cast did the opening song. It was the only time she sang. Since she was on the steps, halfway down, many people didn't even know that she was singing.

When we entered the dining room there was already a Parker House with various seeds on top on the butter plate which was under your chef's toque and menu. The menu was a special cut out showing a spatula, cork screw, rolling pin, chopping knife and big spoon.

Then we had the Ballet Service. This was the only time we had a singer. The waitstaff entered both levels of the dining room to the tune of "Swan Lake". The assistant waiter held the try of napkins while the waiter placed them in our laps. The crew and cast had to help out here in some sections as there weren't enough waitstaff to quickly get the napkins to everyone.

Act 1 - Once again the waitstaff, crew and cast entered the dining room carrying the Chef's Amuse Surprise -- mushroom mousse with asparagus en bouche. This was a tiny empty puff pastry with a tiny dab of mouuse on top.

After those dishes were cleared away, the waitstaff. crew and cast again assembled in the hall and entered the dining room to begin Act 2 -- The Swing Service. The crew and staff "mixed" the salad in HUGE salad bowls to music -- waitstaff get throwing in fake tomatoes, peppers, etc -- some of the waitstaff tried to juggle the peppers -- very funny. Show Salad Spectacular: menu said that we were to have assorted baby greens, pepper rings, mushrooms, scallions & cherry tomatoes with a honey mustard dressing. What we actually got was a tomato stuffed with the assorted baby greens, enoki mushrooms with chopped up onion, scallions and peppers sprinkled on top and the honey mustard dressing drizzled over everything.

Then the waiters came around and took our orders for the Starters and Entrees.

Starters:

1.Dialogue of Alaskan Salmon Tartare with avocado: cold smoked, pickled and chipotle-hot-smoked salmon with lime-avocado-tomato sauce. DH had this -- loved it the first segment. 2nd segment -- it was mostly BIG chunks of onion and very little salmon.

2.Golden Baked Brie in Phyllo Dough served with a cinnamon-spiced apple cranberry compote -- have had this many times in the past -- love it -- it was excellent the first segment -- not completely heated through -- brie -- wasn't even melted a little bit.

3.Lobster Bisque sensuously smooth classical shellfish soup enhanced with aged French cognac and whipped cream. We both have had this in the past -- it's okay -- not one of our favorites.

4.Oxtail En Crote - flavorful classical soup slow-simmered and served in a crisp pastry crust -- excellent both segments.

Entrees:

1.Tagliatelli with Roasted Chicken & Portobello Muchrooms tossed in olive oil and lemon cream.

2.Sauteed shrimps "Provencales" scented with Mediterranean herbs, tomato concassee', florets of crisp, tender broccoli and sticky rice -- you got 4 medium size shrimps -- some people ordered 3 of this dish in order to get more shrimp -- which sent the waiter into a tizzy since they were on a time schedule.

3.Apricot Glazed Salmon with Soya Garlic and Ginger Spalsh -- I have had this on other ships and love it. 1st segment -- excellent RED sockeye salmon -- 2nd segment -- pink salmon -- tasteless.

4.Duck Breast a l'Orange - the old time favorite, oven roasted until crisp amd served with a Grand Marnier sauce, braised red cabbage, pea pods, carrots julienne and William potatoes. DH had this the first segment -- excellent.

5.Whole Roasted Tenderloin of Beef on an earthy bed of calvados-spiked mushroom ragout, with vegetable bundle, braised onion & horseradish mashed potato. DH had this the second time -- beef was tough and fatty.

6.Wild Mushroom Strudel - selected forest mushroom spinach & feta cheese rolled in Phyllo dough and baked until crisp and flaky. Served with a Thai red curry sauce and a timbale of basmati rice.

Act 3 - The Final Service --- the waitstaff, crew and cast began to assemble out in the hallway around 7:15 for this. Then they came parading into the dining room carrying trays of Chef's Rudi's "Hat's Off" dessert. Some of the cast and crew members had bottles of fake champagne that when they popped the corks, some bottles sent out streamers aimed towards the chandeliers which also landed on the people and tables directly below. Other fake botles of champagne gave off smoke. We have had this dessert before. There is a small piece of cake resembling a peg that holds the chef's hat in place - the chef's hat is made out of white chocolate - chef's hat conceals a small amount of chocolate mousse. It was excellent the 1st segment. The second segment -- the cake was flavored in mint -- the mousse was flavored in mint. All you could taste was mint!! A lot of white chocolate went to waste. Many people could not (including us) break the hat up -- it was too thick in places.

We noticed that on the 1st segment, the section of tables in front of ours were all served their dessert before the Act 3 parade took place. As a result, several people left early not knowing that something else was going to happen.

Archived