TUX or no?

FondofKoi

Not really. It is the host's place to determine what dress is necessary not the guest's. The RCI suggested dress code does not find a tux necessary but an accepted option. That being the case neither should any of the guests, and it would be inconsiderate of them to do so.

Now that it is Decemeber, I can agree with a Wolverine again :D

Good luck, I hope you guys win the Rose Bowl, and of all the teams to play in the championship, I'd least like to see Michigan again ;)

If you are inclined to have some of the formal night photos taken a tux is always nice.

If you want to pack your dark suit then you will be perfectly fine. If you want to avoid the packing and having it take up space then maybe think about a tux rental if you want to do the trade on packing your suit and spending the extra dollars just to be really formal.

The number of men who we find wear tuxes on RCCL ships is not overwhelming, so don't feel obligated to do so to fit in or feel right unless you decide you really want to dress up.

Have fun!

Gosh FC!!!! How are you. I haven't seen you around for ages! Email me when you have some time!

your buddy

jc

We are trying to be somewhat efficient with the amount of clothing, luggage and total weight. Although I have worn a dark suit on past cruises, I will only bring a black blazer and slacks (shirt and tie of course). We are travelling from Toronto to San Juan and don't want to carry our winter (burr) coats. Blazer can be worn while traveliing.

So if I were to wear a suit light in color, you would consider that was not formal attire?

I'm happy your husband enjoys his tux. I on the other hand can think of many other things to spend my hard earned money on than a piece of clothing that will spend 3 or more years hanging in a closet between uses, or renting one for that matter.

No judgement here--but to answer your question--light suit is not formal unless of course you are in white tails and the occassion is (WHITE TIE) that would be the only time "FORMAL" would have a lighter color and then it would have to be white tux---

This is what I get for growing up with a grandma who read EMILY POST daily and would not allow jeans at her dinner table--

Will you get kicked out with a light suit??? NO of course not--is it formal??? No of course not!!! Very simple

As you can get away with a suit, I highly recommend a tuxedo. It is part of cruising to dress to the nines and remember ocean going tradition. There will be people without tuxedos, and it is your vacation, but wouldn't you rather appear a member of the privileged upper class? (Put it this way, it is more considerate to wear a tuxedo for the sake of those who find this type of dress necessary?) Do as you wish.

Sorry, but clothes don't make the man. Putting a pig in a tuxedo does not give it class. Your actions define whether or not you have class, not the labels in your clothes.

Sorry, but clothes don't make the man. Putting a pig in a tuxedo does not give it class. Your actions define whether or not you have class, not the labels in your clothes.

Well said Jerry! I prefer to dress and see other's dressed, but if doing so aligned me with the likes of that poster, I just may show up in jeans, sit right by her and eat off her plate with my mouth open.

Sorry but that was just a stupid thing to say.

Well said Jerry! I prefer to dress and see other's dressed, but if doing so aligned me with the likes of that poster, I just may show up in jeans, sit right by her and eat off her plate with my mouth open.

I'd like to sit near her too. However, I would bring a bag of burritos with me so that a little while after I eat them.....:eek:

:eek:

As you can get away with a suit, I highly recommend a tuxedo. It is part of cruising to dress to the nines and remember ocean going tradition. There will be people without tuxedos, and it is your vacation, but wouldn't you rather appear a member of the privileged upper class? (Put it this way, it is more considerate to wear a tuxedo for the sake of those who find this type of dress necessary?) Do as you wish.

That statement might be correct on the Queen Mary or QE2 but not RCL

so what I am understanding is that board shorts, birkenstocks, and a tank top is cool for formal night, correct?

Only if your sitting with Snoooty MisSnoootington! ;)

Class distinction is a funny thing. It is based on several socioeconomical attributes, only one of which is wealth. Having money does not allow someone to be included in the upper class in and of itself. Old money often detest's new money! If you live in a trailer and win the lottery, you are not all of a sudden upper class!

Contrary to that, you can have money, even old money and what comes out of your mouth can reduce your disctinction very quickly.

On topic here, it is what it is...you don't have to wear a tux although it is most appropriate, and I encourge you to go all out and enjoy the exerience. However a nice suit will do, and even those who don't dress up are not turned away.

Have some class, (you choose the distinction) and dress your best, for formal night. I think some folks want to come here and hear that it is just fine not to dress formally for formal nights and the two basic answers you hear are, No, you don't have to, from those who don't want to. And Yes, you have to from people who like to dress up.

The bottom line is RCCL suggests you do dress formally on formal night. Nuff said.

So let me get this straight....If I wanna appeal to the rich folks on board I need to have a tux, but if I wanna enjoy the evening and be comfortable I can wear a suit?
The actual rich folks are cruising on Silversea, etc. not Royal Caribbean.

[quote name='FondofKoi']So let me get this straight....If I wanna appeal to the rich folks on board I need to have a tux, but if I wanna enjoy the evening and be comfortable I can wear a suit?[/quote]

Actually, you might be more comfortable and enjoy the evening more in a tuxedo. You will be properly dressed as the requested dress is formal. Therefore you will know you are in the correct dress and you will have peace of mind. Which is worth a lot. Further there is no reason why a tuxedo should be any more or less comfortable than a suit because it is a suit. Get one that fits comfortably and cruise in style!:)

jc

[quote name='rsscaptain']If you live in a trailer and win the lottery, you are not all of a sudden upper class! [/quote]

I is ifin I has more rusted out cars in my front yard than the folks in the next trailer......:eek:

[quote name='xpcdoojk']Actually, you might be more comfortable and enjoy the evening more in a tuxedo. You will be properly dressed as the requested dress is formal. Therefore you will know you are in the correct dress and you will have peace of mind. Which is worth a lot. Further there is no reason why a tuxedo should be any more or less comfortable than a suit because it is a suit. Get one that fits comfortably and cruise in style!:)

jc[/quote]Since Royal Caribbean's definition of formal is:

[INDENT]Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women
[/INDENT]
why should he feel more comfortable in a tux than suit and tie?

Yes, because RCI has dumbed down the word formal. Formal is a word that only became necessary to redefine because a bunch of people thought it meant meant a shirt with sleeves.

Words mean things. In todays world the spoiled children of the 60s (I am one too) have to rebel against everything and have reduced everything to the least common denominator. It is sad. :rolleyes:

The OP is certainly not going to be doing anything in violation of the rules by showing up in a suit, but he is not going to be formally dressed. I still think peace of mind is a wonderful thing. Being a rebel without a cause is still a stupid thing.

jc

[quote name='BADBUOY']jc - happy to see after all this time you're still weighing in on these subjects.

Just wondering when I may get to read your point of view on the bringing booze aboard the ship thread?

Cheers,

Buddy[/quote]

I thought you had been sent to WDW with Bicker I hadn't seen you in so long.:p

jc

Archived