2 for 1, does this mean...

ausofte

..what I think it means? The 2 for 1 price for a cruise I'm looking at is $3998, does that mean we pay $3998 for both of use? Or is that for each, so the total would be 7996? (Sorry for the elementary question, I'm new to this and I've looked quite a bit to find the answer. Apparently it's more obvious to others :D )

When you look on the website or the brochure it will have 2 prices

"Brochure fares" & "2 for 1 Fares"

EG:http://www.oceaniacruises.com/T_MainContentPage.aspx?PageUID=2cc73046-81b0-496a-bbf3-61a615e51b39&CruiseUID=2adf5d5c-a4a4-4e96-a27d-710438b63549

I am a big fan of Oceania and it is my first choice in cruising. However, don't get too excited about 2 for 1. Almost every cruise line offers discounted fares (meaning what everyone in the world pays) that are closer to 1/2 off the brochure fares. Think of it as MSRP for cars vs. invoice price. Of more significance is the free air, which can be a big savings. Also, you can customize their air travel with a deviation fee that is very modest compared to paying on your own.

"Of more significance is the free air, which can be a big savings"

However, it is NOT free, but rather built into the quoted price. I have always refused the 'free' air which drops the fare by about $1000. for international cruises.

ausofte, one of the great features of Cruise Critic is that it is searchable. Look for the "Search This Forum" box in blue on the first page. You can put whatever topic you are looking for in the drop-down box and see what has already been discussed. It's a good place to start. That way you'll be able to easily find lots of opinions about almost any topic.

BTW, I also do not take the "free air" because I like to choose my own flights, which you can't do when you take "free air'. Some members of this forum have had some strange routings when they used the free air option.

Very simple to figure out. If the brochure rate is $10,000 and the "2 for 1" fare is $5,000, you would pay the $10,000 for two pax. There are several web sites that offer more than the 50% off. The down side is that one might not get their cabin class of choice. I always see what they have to offer before I book anywhere.

If anyone is interested in some of those sites, please contact me at lsnv2@sbcglobal.net.

Archived