Why are all the ships leaving Galveston? (Merged)

In the Pink

From what I've heard, Rhapsody will be leaving this summer, Splendour not long after that, then Voyager comes in, but only for one season? Today I learned that the Grand Princess will be leaving next Fall. I haven't heard anything about these ships being replaced. Please say it ain't so!

I can see why they don't want to commit to Galveston. The port isn't great. After getting off of our ship this past weekend a train came thru and stopped right in front of the port blocking the entrances and exits to the port delaying our hotel shuttle from picking us up.

As stated by our captain this past week, it takes a long time to get from Galveston to any port so the cruise schedules can only accommodate certain ports for cruises out of Galveston. Maybe that is one of the reasons.

But I must say, the Galveston port really had it together. We were onboard the ship by noon and offboard upon return and in our car by 7:05.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my husband read an article recently that Galveston was like the #6 or 7 port in the U.S. for numbers of passengers, so it seems odd to me that the lines would pull out. As for the fact that it takes a long time to get anywhere from Galveston, the same would be true, if not more so, of New Orleans, but as far as I know the ships aren't leaving there. Since a 7 day cruise has at least 8 destinations that can be reached from Galveston, and I may be missing some, I don't think that's the reason. I think the response about the new port going in a Barbours Cut is probably more accurate.

so if I want to cruise out of Galveston next October, it appears that only Carnival has a ship for me there? Good thing we have loved our Carnival cruises! I was all set for us to finally give RCI a try, but it looks like we won't get to?! :( Anyone know how soon RCI should be back in Texas, whether Galveston or Houston?

so if I want to cruise out of Galveston next October, it appears that only Carnival has a ship for me there? Good thing we have loved our Carnival cruises! I was all set for us to finally give RCI a try, but it looks like we won't get to?! :( Anyone know how soon RCI should be back in Texas, whether Galveston or Houston?

Maybe you should try this one.http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cruiseDetails/itineraryAndPricing.do;jsessionid=0000Kg1gTufd49Gsut7vyXrVILV:10ktmerri?packageCode=VY07W018&date=&selectedCurrencyCode=&promoType==

thanks for the link yst347. DH & I would LOVE to try out a Voyager-class RCI ship but the timing of Voyager doesn't work with me and DH's work schedules....our best time to go is the 3rd week in October and I can find no ships except CCL cruising out of Galveston and NOLA at that time (these are our best two departure choices....we drive in from Nebraska). Drats! Wish the Voyager would hang around in Texas year round~~~~now wouldn't that be super?! :)

Rhapsody has a very loyal following and after one cruise I can understand why. I am still smarting over THAT move. sniff...sniff. Although I am excited about the Voyager coming in, it seems to be only temporary. Although Galveston/Houston would best be served visiting only W. Caribbean ports, there are still plenty of people to fill those ships. Because of affordable cabin rates, my upcoming cruise has people coming in from CA, WA, MA. RCCL, Princess, Celebrity, are you listening???? We need more than Carnival!

Rhapsody has a very loyal following and after one cruise I can understand why. I am still smarting over THAT move. sniff...sniff. [/quote]

Yes, since we like to leave out of Galveston, I've followed lots and lots of threads regarding Rhapsody and Elation (prior to her moving out of TX) and now the Conquest. Rhapsody always has many, many positive posts about it and is often seen in count-down clocks of cruisers here on Cruise Critic. I thought if they ever moved her out, they'd surely replace her with something as big or bigger and as new or newer. But they're not really even replacing her other than a short bit of time with the Voyager?

Princess has always been of interest to me also, but seems to only spend a short time out of the year in TX. Hard to imagine RCI won't have a ship year-round there. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I thought they did a pretty good job of keeping the cruiseships out of that port sailing pretty full year round?! Hmmmmmm.....anyone else know what the future will hold for NOLA and Galveston?

Rhapsody has a very loyal following and after one cruise I can understand why. I am still smarting over THAT move. sniff...sniff. [/quote]

Yes, since we like to leave out of Galveston, I've followed lots and lots of threads regarding Rhapsody and Elation (prior to her moving out of TX) and now the Conquest. Rhapsody always has many, many positive posts about it and is often seen in count-down clocks of cruisers here on Cruise Critic. I thought if they ever moved her out, they'd surely replace her with something as big or bigger and as new or newer. But they're not really even replacing her other than a short bit of time with the Voyager?

Princess has always been of interest to me also, but seems to only spend a short time out of the year in TX. Hard to imagine RCI won't have a ship year-round there. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I thought they did a pretty good job of keeping the cruiseships out of that port sailing pretty full year round?! Hmmmmmm.....anyone else know what the future will hold for NOLA and Galveston?

Penny, nobody is committing themselves until the brand new Bayport Terminal in Houston will be close to completion later in 2007. Unless I am mistaken, RCCL never had a problem filling the Rhapsody and Splendour and I am sure the Conquest is equally popular although I have never been on her. We just have to wait and see. Maybe RCCL wants to see how Voyager does on a trial run before it switches over to the new terminal.:confused: It's anybody's guess. With the Freedom, then the Liberty and after that the Independence, RCCL needs to find new home ports for existing ships. BTW there is another thread about the new Bayport Terminal but I have yet to figure out how to copy and paste a link in here. I was given instructions but I just can't make it work. :(

The title of that link is Houston's New Bayport Cruise Terminal.

Happy cruising to you no matter where you sail from.

Just finished cruising the Grand Princess out of Galvaston. Here is perhaps another perprective why ships are leaving.

I usually sail on Royal Caribean and when I saw the rates for the Grand out of Galvaston, I couldn't resist. A mini suite was less expensive than a low level balcony cabin on RC out of Florida. When you have to offer huge discounts, it hurts your margins. I've also heard that cruisers that aren't from Texas or other nearby states don't like the "hassle" of having to go from Houston to Galvaston, especially if you don't, like us take the ship transfers. We rented from Enterprise both ways and everything went smoothly. Anyway, that's my two cents.

Merry Christmas

J I've also heard that cruisers that aren't from Texas or other nearby states don't like the "hassle" of having to go from Houston to Galvaston, especially if you don't, like us take the ship transfers. We rented from Enterprise both ways and everything went smoothly. Anyway, that's my two cents.

Merry Christmas

Molemaui--just curious since I haven't sailed out of anywhere in FL, only Galveston, but in light of your comment, I can't help but wonder how far the airports are from the ports in FL?

Molemaui--just curious since I haven't sailed out of anywhere in FL, only Galveston, but in light of your comment, I can't help but wonder how far the airports are from the ports in FL?

I'd love to know that myself. Also people who cruise out of Baltimore, NY. Phila.,etc. must live a distance away also. How many live just a few mins. from a cruise port? My drive to Galveston is approx. 5 hours. I could fly to Florida in less time but the cost would be prohibitive. I can also pack more :D

I had gone to a cruise open house a few months back. The Princess rep said the demand right now is for South America, that's why they are pulling the Grand out of Galveston and the Golden out of New Orleans, for more popular ports.

The Golden has very few more sailings and I believe April is the last sailing for the Grand.

I'm sorry to see them go as well.

Ft. Lauderdale airport is only minutes from Port Everglades. Miami and Tampa airports are each 15 to 20 minutes from their cities' cruise terminals. Only Port Canaveral is any distance from an airport; 35 minutes from MCO and 25 minutes from Melbourne.

Galveston is hurt by the 45 minutes from Hobby and 75 minutes from IAH. Combining the expense of the flight and the cost of the transfer plus the greater possibility of cooler weather here during the winter months is an obstacle.

I read an article in the Houston Chronicle this week about the now signed agreement to provide water to the new bayport facility. The article said that water will be supplied to only one cruise ship for the first year after operations begin. I would bet on NCL sailing from Bayport first, but it would seem that 2008 would be the earliest for another ship to call Bayport home.

I can answer that question for Port Everglades in Ft. Lauderdale. It's approx 3-5 miles, a short taxi ride, almost walkable if you didn't have to hassle with suitcases.

Besides the $10 transfer from the cruise lines, there is the tri-county share a ride, probably still less than $10 to the port, to or from the airport. They guarantee they will have you out of there in 30 minutes or less, even if they have to take you by yourself. i.e. you never have to wait more than 30 minutes for a ride once you check in. I used to do the share a ride all the time.

Thanks, to both of you. That definitely makes flying in a lot easier than Houston to Galveston, or for that matter, to the new Houston Bayport even. It still doesn't all make sense to me though as long as they're still filling up the boats out of Galveston, which they never seem to have trouble doing, so although people may complain about it, they do it anyway, so that's not a reason for the ships to pull out.

As for pricing, I don't see a HUGE difference out of TX to comparable cruises out of FL. Taking into account that some of the price differential may very well be port charges, I doubt that there is much difference at all. With the TX departures not having any difficulty filling up, if the lines wanted to raise the prices, as long as they are in line with other departure ports, I would think the demand would bear it. It doesn't make sense to argue that you can't get a full fare when you're selling out at a lower fare.

Ft. Lauderdale airport is only minutes from Port Everglades. Miami and Tampa airports are each 15 to 20 minutes from their cities' cruise terminals. Only Port Canaveral is any distance from an airport; 35 minutes from MCO and 25 minutes from Melbourne.

Galveston is hurt by the 45 minutes from Hobby and 75 minutes from IAH. Combining the expense of the flight and the cost of the transfer plus the greater possibility of cooler weather here during the winter months is an obstacle.

I read an article in the Houston Chronicle this week about the now signed agreement to provide water to the new bayport facility. The article said that water will be supplied to only one cruise ship for the first year after operations begin. I would bet on NCL sailing from Bayport first, but it would seem that 2008 would be the earliest for another ship to call Bayport home.

The article on the new Bayport facility stated that there would only be one berth when it opens with room for 2 more to be added subsequently. Do you think the same NCL ship sailing out of Houston now (if it's still there)will be the ship that uses that facility in the beginning? I would think they would bring a newer larger ship to a newer port?

In The Pink: I always thought cruises out of Galveston were less expensive due to the location of the port, i.e. not as popular as FL., limited ports of call. The Rhapsody and Splendour are Vision class ships and although both beautiful are older than the other newer mega ships. I'm sure that's a factor in the rates.

It's amazing how much knowledge I gained reading this board!

In The Pink: I always thought cruises out of Galveston were less expensive due to the location of the port, i.e. not as popular as FL., limited ports of call. The Rhapsody and Splendour are Vision class ships and although both beautiful are older than the other newer mega ships. I'm sure that's a factor in the rates.

Yes, I agree..... I think that does factor also, which is why I said that comparable cruises aren't a lot cheaper than from other departures.

I am putting my money on RCCL using the new port and XCarnival having Galveston. NCL may use the 2nd terminal in Galveston.:)

You could be right but RCCL has invested a significant amount of money into pier 2 in Galveston. I don't see them walking away from that investment any time soon.

Archived