Passport turnaround time?

YankeeClipper581

I'm scheduled on a cruise that leaves Jan 6 and was wondering how long it takes to get a passport. I was planning on using a birth certificate but I have an old passport that expired four years ago. I was wondering if anyone has ever used one of the services advertised online that promise a faster passport aquistion? If so, what was the service called, how long did it take and how much did it cost? Thanks

My wife and I just went for ours last week (we cruise 1/29) and were told that we had to have it expedited to ensure we have it in time. Normal processing time is 6-8 weeks, expedited is 2 weeks. The cost (including photos) was $172 for expedited (non-expedited is $112)...

I filed for a new passport Oct 6th--im still waiting. I do check the passport status page every day-- and finally yesterday it states I will have my passport by 12/25/2006.

Expediated passport is the only way you will get it in time.

It only took a month to get mine. I applied for in on the 13th of Oct. and am also sailing on Jan 6th, and I had it in my hands Nov 13th. Not too bad, but I am sure the State Department is going to be swamped as everyone is going to be trying to get theirs last minute.

I applied for my passport on November 8th. I just checked the passport status page and it says I should receive it by December 24th. The agency where I applied said it would take 4 to 6 weeks.

I'm using Passport Express...a friend of mine used them a few months ago and had her passport in less than a week. I'm using them because i leave the end of the month and dont trust the "2 weeks" with all that are going to be trying to get them by the end of the year.

Kristie

I'm using Passport Express...a friend of mine used them a few months ago and had her passport in less than a week. I'm using them because i leave the end of the month and dont trust the "2 weeks" with all that are going to be trying to get them by the end of the year.

Kristie

Does anyone know if you've already applied and it's getting close to the time you are supposed to leave for vacation if there is a way to expedite after the fact ? I applied for mine on 12/1 and the office said I should have it on 1/12 -I'm supposed to be leaving on 02/04- they said that should be enough time for me to get it but I'm worried that I might not get it in time ? Does anyone know if I would be able to call and pay the add'l 60.00 now and have it expedited ?

Thanks!

Just know that the fee to have it expedited isn't the only fee you'll pay. My husband and daughter had to get theirs renewed and we went down to the Post Office thinking for $120 they would be okay. We didn't think that you also have to pay for express mail BOTH ways. It really added up. We ended up paying over $300 by the time we paid for the fees and the express mail. Because remember, the Passport Agency isn't going to pay for the express mail back to you and that does NOT come out of the $60 fee.

Does anyone know if you've already applied and it's getting close to the time you are supposed to leave for vacation if there is a way to expedite after the fact ? I applied for mine on 12/1 and the office said I should have it on 1/12 -I'm supposed to be leaving on 02/04- they said that should be enough time for me to get it but I'm worried that I might not get it in time ? Does anyone know if I would be able to call and pay the add'l 60.00 now and have it expedited ?

Thanks!

Leaving in February that leaves plenty of time to get it back. thats almost 8 weeks.

Thanks Serene! I saw your post and saw that it will be over 8 weeks to get yours. Just got worried is all. I know how relieved i'll be when i'll finally get it-too much other stuff to worry about to get ready for- haha I've been checking the passport status page and so far it's came up empty for me so I don't know if the paperwork hasn't been recv'd to enter into the system ? How long did it take before you were able to start tracking yours on the website ? Thanks for the help :)

Thanks!

DH called the passport center last night because he applied on 11/29, and his application isn't even showing up in their system online yet. They told him that they had indeed received it. They also told him that if he had not heard anything by early January (we cruise 2/11/07), to call back, and that they could expedite it via telephone, and he could pay with a credit card over the phone to have it done. I think you have plenty of time, and I think DH will have nothing to worry about. I told him just because we don't see it in the system, doesn't mean they are not working on it. The site plainly tells ya that if your name or ss number is close to someone else's that it won't show up on-line. But to answer your question, if needed, yes you can.:)

bubbles-- you can always check online to see that the passport is being processed. I checked every day when i saw my check wasw cashed.. then about 2 weeks after that I saw it come up. It stated I would receive it about 12/24.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/status/status_2567.html

bubbles-- you can always check online to see that the passport is being processed. I checked every day when i saw my check wasw cashed.. then about 2 weeks after that I saw it come up. It stated I would receive it about 12/24.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/status/status_2567.html

DH called the passport center last night because he applied on 11/29, and his application isn't even showing up in their system online yet
We had been checking online as shown in this quote, that was the whole reason he called them, because it wasn't there yet. I checked the website again today, and it said he should get it on or before Jan. 17th:) I applied in September and got mine back in 3 1/2 weeks. If he gets his when the website says, the turnaround time on his will have taken 7 weeks. Either they are getting busy already, or the holidays have something to do with it. Either way, turnaround time is slowing down somewhat. Glad to see you finally are getting yours,what a great Christmas gift! Kind of worrysome when ya don't hear anything isn't it? DH was just concerned on whether or not they got the application o.k., but they did, so everything's cool:)

We are leaving in February for our first cruise and have applied for a passport. However the RCCL rep told me that until January 2008 a passport was not needed for ship travel departing and returning to a US port and a birth certificate with a "raised seal" would be enough. The only problem would be if we had an emergency and had to 'fly' back. Then a passport is required to get on the plane. We are getting passports anyway but that is what I was told by RCCL. Good luck.

Mike S.

We are leaving in February for our first cruise and have applied for a passport. However the RCCL rep told me that until January 2008 a passport was not needed for ship travel departing and returning to a US port and a birth certificate with a "raised seal" would be enough. The only problem would be if we had an emergency and had to 'fly' back. Then a passport is required to get on the plane. We are getting passports anyway but that is what I was told by RCCL. Good luck.

Mike S.

RCCL told it to ya straight. We don't need the passport to cruise, but dd will be staying behind, so we will feel much more comfortable having them. You never know when something may happen back home. I got mine in October, and DH will have his mid-Jan. It will be nice when they do set the final deadline, (because right now it's subject to change) to know that we already have our passports and won't have to mess with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived