Best trimline digital camera under $200.

scher

My 13 year old daughter and my 17 year old son both want a camera. I already started a thread on where to by it. either on one of the Islands or home at Circuit City. I decided home. Now I would like to know the opionon of people who own or work with cameras. What would be my best purchase on small digital cameras under $200.00 to take on the cruise and what extras would i need to purchase with it.

I have a Fuji 4 megapixel and it was under $200. It's easy to use and it came with a recharger so all I had to buy was a case and I got that at Walmart.

I think there are higher megapixel cameras by Fuji now that are in that price range. I am very pleased with mine.

Katie

I have a Fuji 4 megapixel and it was under $200. It's easy to use and it came with a recharger so all I had to buy was a case and I got that at Walmart.

I think there are higher megapixel cameras by Fuji now that are in that price range. I am very pleased with mine.

Katie

thanks i will keep it in mind

I am on my second Canon Power Shot digital elph....first one is a couple years old and it is tiny and takes wonderful photos for my purposes. It is a SD 110 w/ 3.2 mega-pixels from which I have blown up photos to 11x16 to my satisfaction altho they only reccommend 8x10. I requested a replacement for this camera so I could give it to my son for his upcoming study abroad, and I received an updated version : SD600, 6 mega-pixels. More pixels means more enlargement capabilities to me and the detail looks impressive from early shots. Best thing about these cameras is their size...new one is even slightly smaller in dimensions than my first...it measures 3 1/2 "wide, 2 " high and less than 1" deep....a wonderful pocket size w/ nice capabilities and I believe it falls in the price category.

Good luck!

Just replaced my 3.2 with a 6 megapixel Olympus FE-180. So far it's nice. It's not for "professionals" but I'm not one anyway, so I like it. I paid 152 at Circuit City online. Small but not so small it feels ackward in your hands. Hope this will help :)

My 13 year old daughter and my 17 year old son both want a camera. I already started a thread on where to by it. either on one of the Islands or home at Circuit City. I decided home. Now I would like to know the opionon of people who own or work with cameras. What would be my best purchase on small digital cameras under $200.00 to take on the cruise and what extras would i need to purchase with it.

Try CNET.COM

Read reviews and editor ratings.

After you decide, price check online, then buy wherever you are comfortable with

We have two digitals..... a Kodak Easy Share I bought for dh two years back..... and my brand new "toy" that I just bought for my recent Legend cruise. It is an Olympus Stylus 720 7.1 megapixel and is WATERPROOF so I took it snorkleing and cave tubing etc..... but it was $399.00 so......

since you are buying 2 cameras..... try Kodak Easyshare.... there are a few under your price cutoff.... AND THE BEST PART: they can both use the same extras such as the dock (used to recharge and load pics into computer) and software and printer etc etc.... I know they have a 4.0 megapixel for $ 99.00 (check out sears.com) and they go up from there. They take amazing pics and are so easy to use even though they have all the bells and whistles.

Sony Cyber-shot 7.2 megapixels, Zeiss glass. Paid a little over $200 at Walmart.

I have done prints up to 15x17 to hang in an art show, the quality matched the ones taken by higher end cameras.

This is an excellent suggestion as well.

LL

I'll second the Canon Power Shot digital elph. These are great cameras!! I have one and recommended it for my inlaws. Many of my friends have them. They come in different megapixel sizes - just pick the one in your price range - all will be good. I have the SD400.

Besides the number of megapixels, look at some of the other features as well. A big thing for me is getting a camera with a Lithium Ion battery that I can charge by plugging it into an outlet instead of using batteries. Other basic factors that you may want to consider are optical zoom, format of the still image, remote control (wish I had one), and video capture. I agree with Traveler's advice - check out CNET - it has probably the most comprehensive comparison guides and reviews of most electronic devices.

As for accessories, a larger storage card is a must. Depending on the typer of media, you should be able to get a 1GB card for around 20-50 dollars online. Most cameras just come with a 32-64mb card, which only gives you 10-20 pics at the highest resolution.

I've seen prices down in the islands, but I didn't think that they were that much better than the sales you find at home at this time of the year. Just make sure you go to a reputable place if you decide to buy down in the islands.

Good luck.

-Rich

Try the Kodak EasyShare C743. 7.1 megapixels with 3X optical zoom.

I have used digitals for years and I just bought my new one for our upcoming cruise. The Kodak C743 is small, but not so small it's hard to grip. Plus it was only $159 at Best Buy. (we like to purchase the extended warranty plan also; covers everything, even if you drop it.)

1. You will need to buy the SD memory card for the camera also. Ours was 2G and around $50.
  2. Rechargeable batteries and a battery charger are nice.
  3. These cameras are so small that a case is optional, but I like to have one to hook on my belt and keep it handy. I got one at Best Buy for $9.99.

An option for after your cruise (or if you want to take it along) is the printer. For around $99 you can get the small stand alone photo printer that you can dock your camera to on the top and print out your photos. Very simple. It does cost around $45 for the paper/ink refill package that prints about 160 photos. You have to determine whether the higher cost per photo is worth it to you. Some folks like to have the ease and availability of almost instant photos.

Besides the number of megapixels, look at some of the other features as well. A big thing for me is getting a camera with a Lithium Ion battery that I can charge by plugging it into an outlet instead of using batteries. Other basic factors that you may want to consider are optical zoom, format of the still image, remote control (wish I had one), and video capture.-Rich

I have a Canon PowerShot G2 that I bought several years ago and it has served me well, although it is slightly larger than I would like. It is a 4.0 Megapixel. If I were to replace the G2, I would trade megapixel for optical zoom. I have found 4.0 megapixels to be more than adequate, and have wished many times for a greater optical zoom. Unfortunately, it seems that, as a rule, camera size and optical zoom are directly proportional. The greater the optical zoom, the larger the camera! :(

Take a look at the Canon PowerShot A540

It has gotten solid reviews and is current generation technology.

JMHO

LL

I just picked up the Canon A540 two weekends ago from Office Depot for $125 (after $75 rebate) and a free printer (after rebate). We are giving it to our daughter, but we already own two Canon's. I have a Canon S50 5 pixel's and it took great pictures in the Caribbean last year. But when we got home I bought DH a Canon 620 and he loves it. I guess we favor a Canon.

SD600, 6 mega-pixels. More pixels means more enlargement capabilities to me and the detail looks impressive from early shots. Best thing about these cameras is their size...new one is even slightly smaller in dimensions than my first...it measures 3 1/2 "wide, 2 " high and less than 1" deep....a wonderful pocket size w/ nice capabilities and I believe it falls in the price category.

Good luck!

I agree with this recommendation.

Find the best price for it on http://www.pricegrabber.com

Find the best price for camera memory on http://www.dealram.com

Get more camera reviews on Steves digicams Scroll down and you'll find his recommendation for the best ultra-compact cameras.

I have shopped for cameras recently, and used to work in a photo lab. For true ease of use go with Kodak, for solid construction and proven qualitygo with Canon.

Things to consider, Olympus and Fuji us a memeory card called XD very small and easy to loose, and they are considerably more expensive. Sony uses their own memory card called memory stick, also more expensive. Choose a camera that takes an SD card these can be purchased online very inexpensively, and in just about any department store on the planet.

I have to disagree with the previous poster about the lithium battery. I always buy a camera that takes AA batteries, and buy my own rechargeables, keep one set in the camera and one set ready to go, and if you forget to charge your batteries you can get AA's anywhere. With the lithium battery that comes with some cameras you have to make sure to charge this battery or you are out of luck, if you buy a spare it can be more than $30 so AA's are the way to go.

And I don't care what any salesman tells you, most people will not ever need more than 4 megapixels, the only time most people will ever be able to tell the difference between a 4,6, or 8 megapixel pictures, is if the picture is blown up bigger than 11x14 or if the shot has been cropped alot. Spend your money on quality not quantity (of megapixels).

Hope this helps:D

MAC

I am on my 3rd Pentax Optio S. Now have the S5i which is fabulous and also does short movies with video. So easy for me, a non-camera person and fits in an Altoids box!! Great gimmick and the kids would like it. Not in Circuit City - I buy on line!! Gets awsome reviews!! Takes SD and you get a dock for recharging - also has a viewfinder which is occasionally useful.

After seeing mine, many of my friends have purchased. Check it out!!

My camerais STUPID!!( or is it the user?) It is a vivitar 5.0 Megapixels 3X optical zoom. It's small and cute But...

:(

It eats batteries as if IT was on a cruise

When I "snap" a picture, it takes forever for the shutter to actually take the picture.

If I crop a picture, which I try to do a lot, 8x10's are not a recommended size when I try to develop them.

I use a 1GB SDcard. So what do you think my problem is?:confused:

• 3 months later...

I purchased a Sony 7.2 MP camera online at Sears.com for $119. It is about the same size as a Cannon Powershot.

Archived