What's so great about Portofino's

let me start by saying that (in my opinion) there is no where on the planet that you will eat that quality....that quantity....and have that service for 20.00 per person.

if you want an appetizer (or 2), a salad, 1/2 portion of pasta or go ahead and have a full portion of pasta.... then have your main course and if you're full (who are we kidding of course you'll be full:D ) they will send your desert to your room to eat later.

we have been to portofinos several times as a matter of fact on our last cruise (5 night to bermuda) we ate in portofinos 3 times:)

I definately thought it was! While I adored my table mates and waitstaff, and had nothing but good meals in the dining room, it was nice to have a late romantic meal in Portofino with my husband on our Radiance cruise last week. It was definately worth the $15 each. The tiramisu at Portofino was one of the best things I've ever eaten, and the rest of the food was outstanding as well.

I agree it is worth it but I don't agree the cost is $20 a person.

This would be similar to saying you eat for free in the main dining room.

You are correct that you can not have a similar dining experience for

$20 a person but the cost is not $20. It is $20 additional, IMHO.

Although the Dinning room food is generally good, you will find Portofinos to be excellant. The Menu is different from the dinning room, the Food is prepared to order (rather than mass produced) and the atmospher is Fantastic. If you enjoy foods with an Italian flare, DON'T MISS THIS OPPURTUNITY. One of my favorite places to Dine was Alfredo's in Epcot Center, Portofinos has since taken it's place. I only wish this dinning option was available on all RC ships, unfortunatly we will miss the experiance on our upcoming Vision Cruise (maybe RCL will put one in by next year).

Well worth the surcharge.

Thank you, everyone, for your replies!!! We travel on the Explorer in April (without the kiddies)and the Navigator in December(with the family). This will be our first time on a Voyager ship and we are really looking forward to it!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a lot of seafood in Portofino. My brother in law had some kind of shrimp/risotto and loved it. For his main course he had shrimp, lobster tail and I forget what other seafood. It is without a doubt the best Italian restaurant I have been too and that includes a trip to Italy. It could even be the best restaurant I have ever been to.

The pasta with mascarpone cheese and mushrooms is out of this world. The filet mignon is so tender that it could be cut with a fork. I also love the flourless chocolate cake. It's a good thing there isn't one here or I would weigh a lot more than I do now. Definitely worth the upcharge.

Katie

We are looking forward to Portofino's when we cruise in October. We ate at Chops on board the Mariner when we sailed in 04 and loved it. We wanted to go to portofinos, but were too sunburned to show up. We are hoping to get a reservation for our daughter's birthday on the upcoming cruise. Has anyone ever been there for a special celebration?

Does anyone have a copy of the menu from Portofino's- do they have good seafood? Hubby loves seafood and if he could get a good lobster tail made to order that may sell him on the idea.

Here are the recent menus:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=450062&highlight=Chops+Menus

We actually liked Chops better than Portofino's.

We took a cruise with my family (10 of us, 5 cabins) and when I told them we were going to eat at Chops the last evening, several of them questioned me. They didn't want to leave the main dining room because the food was good and our service fantastic!! After just the appetizers they were all thanking me, all of our meals were awesome and the service was wonderful. :D

###

Portofino's and Chops are amazing. It gets a little old either sitting in a massive dining room w people you don't know. And, the buffet at the Windjammer is not a great dining experience for dinner.

At Portofino's and Chops you feel like you went out to dinner and what a dinner. We went to both on the Mariner, we preferred Chops but Portofino was very good. It is definitely worth the $20. You get so much for your money as opposed to bingo, slots etc.

Archived