Chatting on Roll call and then not meeting me disappointment!

sheilb4

Our Roll Call for the Liberty was absolutely hilarious - it took me a bit to get used to some of the other CC'ers personalities, but I wouldn't have changed it one bit.

We met at sailaway wearing flowered lei's so we could recognize each other. DBF looked ridiculous in his flowered lei, but it made me laugh. :) I think out of 30 of us who 'registered' to meet, about 10 of us showed up. We had a blast hanging out together all week, even going to Carlos N Charlies in Grand Cayman together. Best time I'd ever had on a cruise.

That being said, people we thought would be with us the entire week (as they were very active posters) showed up maybe once.

I think it also depends on the ship - the Liberty was the newest ship at the time, so I'd assume it to be busy. It may also have to do with traditions - if you've cruised before, and you plan your meet and greet perhaps at the same time that other pax may have a set cocktail time at a set location (for example) you may get varied results. New cruisers may be too engrossed in investigating the ship, and may be lost as well. Don't take it personal. Book a CC group cruise, or even check out existing roll calls before booking your next cruise and see what the action's like. And if people mention 'At our last meet and greet', etc. then you can be more reassured they'll show up if they've already done one. :D

On my Pride cruise 3 years ago only one other person from our roll call showed up for our meet and greet. Oddly enough, by the end of the week, I had met almost everyone mostly by coincidence.

For the Miracle last March we had a great roll call with a bunch of really fun people. I actually met a couple of them prior to the cruise. We made arrangements for 2 meet and greets so hopefully most would make one of them. As it turned out, enough of us had met at different hotels the night before the cruise and we had seen pictures of each other that we recognized each other in the cruise terminal while we waited to board. We had our first meet and greet right there. Other people must have thought we were having a family reunion or something because of all the hugs going around. Our cruise was in March and our roll call is still going strong. A few people have dropped off but the ones who posted the most before the cruise are still posting regularly today.

I guess it's just hit or miss with the roll calls. I might just have to do a CC group cruise next time because I doubt I'm ever going to find on my own another group as fun as the one I did on the Miracle.

On the Caribbean Princess we had a very active roll call and many attended the get together. The seas were choppy that day and the upper deck wasn't the best place to met but people came and went. The roll call for Alaska wasn't as active but on the meeting day we had just left the Fjords and I was so tired from getting up at 5am I ended up sleeping through it.

Once we all get on board life changes and people get caught in the activities and sometimes forget.

Meeting strangers frorm the Internet is sort of dicy to begain with.
Stopping to say hi to someone on a ship doesn't seem very dangerous to me. :rolleyes:

I've gotten together with several friends that I've met on the internet. I introduced my daughter to her first boyfriend. I met him on the internet. He lives in Michigan. We went to Oklahoma and picked him up when he was there for his cousin's graduation and brought him to visit us in Texas for a few days. They flew back and forth to visit each other several times in the year or two that they dated.

This was our roll call get together in September on the Conquest.

1780729466_CruiseDay1and2013RollCallSm.jpg.32adda84bd6f1ae07142b3629b403b75.jpg

Having one set meet and greet only on the first day is not a good idea.

Lots of people are caught up in their traveling plans and being on the ship is oh so exciting. Some are travel weary from the traveling and only want to relax before the muster and getting ready for dinner.

I notice a lot of people plan their get togethers for after muster.

I like scheduling meet & greets for sea days at tea time-- which is listed in the capers. A relaxing time and hardly anything else is going on.

And the tea time is always the last sea day so we get to say goodbye.

My first cruise, we had a Roll Call of 4 ladies. We didn't set up a time for a meet & greet, but agreed to set one up once onboard the ship. They called me in my cabin and wanted a M&G one port day. I had an excursion planned so couldn't make it. Never did meet any of them.

My last cruise was a totally different experience. I was on the Miracle with HeidiHo, and we had such a fun time with our Roll Call friends all week! It was great. That one is going to be very hard to top.

Roll Call Meet & Greets are just kind of hit or miss. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't.

Actually, it's not a chat board... it's a message board :D

Yes, everyone should exercise caution, but I have met HUNDREDS of people from CC and never met anyone that wasn't who they said they were on here... Many of us get together on land several times a year, cruise a few times a year, etc... always some new people, and they always turn out great... Just people that share the same love of cruising. I would suggest meeting these people on an actual cruise ship, or the hotel and not in some dark alley however :p :p

You are of course correct:)

It's a message board and not a chat room.

I'm a litle uneasy with things like giving out my cabin number out here.

And after reading a lot of the threads here and on the RCI board I'm not too sure I would want to meet some of people who post.

But that's just me.

Cruise Critic seems to be mostly for people who really cruise a lot.

On our last Fantasy cruise we had our dinner reservations linked together. Some had the early seating and some had the late seating. We got to have dinner and drinks with our CC friends and talk about what we did that day. Had a blast!

I have met some really great people on the roll calls. Like the previous poster I linked my table with other so we meet up in the evening. I love making new friends.

I get bummed out when someone joins the roll call and then never posts again. I can't tell you how many times that has happened.

I guess I'm really scary. :D Shipyard Cruiser will never talk to me :eek: :D

You are of course correct:)

It's a message board and not a chat room.

I'm a litle uneasy with things like giving out my cabin number out here.

And after reading a lot of the threads here and on the RCI board I'm not too sure I would want to meet some of people who post.

But that's just me.

Giving out your cabin number is completely different from meeting people at a meet and greet... I wouldn't give mine out either, but I do give it out to my group. Cruise Critic is for everyone... I have met first time cruisers, and cruisers that have cruised well over 20 times... there is something for everyone :D

CruiseCritic is for the person who wants to get the most out of their cruising experience. I learned a lot about my cruises because of these boards...and what I do learn only added to my enjoyment. I have been here since my first cruise in 2000 and I still learn something new for the next cruise.

On my August 2006 cruise on the Conquest, we had a great group of CC's. We used the Roll Call for a long time then we chatted online for a while before the cruise. Once we were on the cruise, we were like family. It made my first cruise a very very enjoyable trip that my kids and I will remember for the rest of our life.

I felt we were blessed to have met all the CC's and spent time with them on that cruise. We still keep in touch today.

Had an active roll call for one cruise, not only did everybody show up, but we all met every afternoon and updated each other. Also did a lot of excursions together. And now, over 2 years later, the roll call thread is still active. Amazing!

Another cruise, the were 157 people posting on the roll call board. We planned a M&G at the hotel and another aboard. Besides Barb and I, one other couple showed at the hotel. Aboard, we met the same couple[they were fun] but no one else showed all week.

It is just hit and miss.

Dan

I looked and looked for our group and only saw one however later someone said they had a great meeting!

I was on the Pride in 2003 and our group had decided to meet on Lido just before muster. One of our group "YoBoy" was very active and it was suggested that everyone just call out "YoBoy" in order to meet. I felt really stupid walking around calling out "YoBoy"! No one....Went to muster and said "YoBoy" kind of quiet and the guy next to me called out "Who said that? I'm YoBoy!" It was so funny! We ended up meeting with just a few of the roll call who were all so great.

On the Mariner in 2004 we meet through the ship's meet 'n mingle. The oddest group ever!! My kids were dying! No one would speak to each other! Weird!!!

I will tell you my experience. I also met on the roll call boards fellow cruisers and we all agreed on a meeting time and place for our recent Destiny cruise. I think we should have also made a second meet and greet because:
We got on the ship at 4:30pm went to our rooms and dinner was listed for 5:30. So I was unable to go to the meet and greet. Bummer as I was looking forward to it.....:(

Archived