Photography Cruises

Ms411

I found this photography cruise through the Chicago Digital Photography Meetup when I did a search for "photography cruise." I joined that Meetup group, eventhough I don't live in Chicago so that I could stay in the loop about the cruise. So far, I've RSVP'd yes.

It's Sept 10 - 14, 2007, and prices for cabins are $379 - $419 for the cruise and photography lessons. According to the instructor, Rick H. who's the founder of the Chicago Digital Photography Meetup, they'll have lessons at sea, and you'll practice the tips taught in the classes while you're onshore. After shore time, students will show/share their photos for group review.

The travel agent for the cruise is CruiseSmiths, sponsoring Chicagoland Photography Cruising, and their number is 877-330-3351. I tried to call them this weekend to make a reservation, but their message says they're out of the office until Dec 12.

I'm trying to slowly move up to an SLR, and just bought a Canon ultrazoom. This cruise sounds like the perfect opportunity for me to get live, professional feedback at a decent price, and see someplaces I haven't seen. I'm not wild about the itinerary - it's the lessons I'm more interested in.

Here's the info on another one that's in March (when I can't go!)

Join us for our 7th Digital Photography Workshop At Sea sponsored by Pentax, Epson, Adobe, SanDisk and others exclusively for users of digital Single Lens Reflex (dSLR) cameras.

You'll spend 8 days on on a fabulous Western Caribbean cruise aboard one of Carnival's fastest and most beautiful superliners, the LEGEND, and visit Belize, Costa Rica, and Panama where photo opportunities abound.

You'll learn the fine points of dSLR Photography, Photoshop, and Printing from top professionals in the field. You'll master the controls on your dSLR and begin to produce the kinds of creative images you've always envisioned. And you'll enjoy the congenial and stress-free learning environment. You can even email your pictures via satellite from the ship to friends or family anywhere in the world.

You'll also receive hundreds of dollars worth of valuable gifts from our workshop sponsors. To insure a great educational experience, the workshop is limited to 20 attendees so place a deposit now to reserve your place (deposits are fully refundable until 91 days prior to departure). You can also bring a companion along at a big discount.

See you on the Legend!

DON’T OWN A dSLR AND WANT TO TRY ONE?

RESERVE A NEW PENTAX K100D dSLR

FOR THE ENTIRE WORKSHOP!

(Includes SanDisk 1GB Ultra II SD Memory Card)

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

This is right up my alley...obsessive photographer here...

Will keep an eye out on cruises next year...this is the only theme I may have to leave the wife at home...or off to do her own thing...lol...I'm in my own little world with camera in hand...

Even a short cruise would be cool with this them...but longer is always better!

In fact, this is the whole reason I went into "Theme Cruises" tonight....lol

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Glad to see this thread's come to life again.

I think this site sponsors a cruise every year, and I'd love to go, but timing is never right for me:

http://www.dpcorner.com/cruise/

Also, http://www.geekcruises.com does a Photoshop cruise every year, but that's not what I want for now. Also, their schedule doesn't work for me, either.

Maybe I should just get another job????

• 2 weeks later...

I would submit a copy of the class schedule to whatever credentialing association, and see if they would grant credit for the courses. I think you would also need some type of certificate of completion for each class so that you could submit it for your credits. It usually isn't a problem.

Here is our pricing for the 2008 Picture Perfect Hawaii Sailing featuring Moose Peterson, Dave Cross, Laurie Excell, and Matt Kloskowsi:

Interior Cabin - Category K - Two Passengers

$2,495.24 - Cruise Fare / Port Charges / Government Taxes

$1,299.00 - Seminar Fee (per person if both are attending the seminar)

$3,794.24 - total for cabin with one person attending the seminar

$4,593.24 - total for cabin with two people attending the seminar

Oceanview Cabin - Category FF- Two Passengers

$3,224.42 - Cruise Fare / Port Charges / Government Taxes

$4,523.42 - total for cabin with one person attending the seminar

$5,322.42 - total for cabin with two people attending the seminar

Balcony Cabin - Category BB - Two Passengers

$3,894.40 - Cruise Fare / Port Charges / Government Taxes

$5,193.40 - total for cabin with one person attending the seminar

$5,992.40 - total for cabin with two people attending the seminar

As I am sure everyone here knows pricing does change and we are happy to honor the lowest available rate from the cruise line. I believe that NCL might have some lower priced balconies available which we will be happy to inquire about for you. Additionally, we have a number of discounts available which we are happy to discuss with anyone over the phone. You can view our seminars by clicking this link: http://www.cruisingthroughlife.com/hawaii2008/conference.html

We are also producing a 2009 Photography cruise to South America - 12 days on the Star Princess from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires departing on February 2nd featuring Vince Versace, Laurie Excell and John Paul Caponigro. They will be offering a Master Class selection of courses designed to delve in the nuances of photography -- so make sure you check that out!

I am happy to answer any and all questions.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
aren't all cruises good for photography?

I would say all are good for general snapshot vacation photography, but not for serious photography. Most cruises spend less than a day in a particular port, docking after sunrise and leaving before sunset. I would imagine photography-oriented cruises have schedules better suited to shooting at those "magic hour" times and offer excursions that take people to optimal photo locations allow them to spend considerable time there taking pictures. Serious photography outings are slow-going with tripods, lens changes, filter changes, working different angles, etc.

And while on board, there are advanced training sessions and critiques... some even have printing stations.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived