Viking-Convertors

debbie p

Hi DebbieP,

Check out the string "On the Amadagio" page 1, #17 to 24. That gives a description of the power converters on the Amadagio. I think they would not be different from the Viking. If you like I can send you a photo of what we had in our cabin and what I have as a converter.

Buck

Am going on our first cruise with Viking and am curious as to what type of convertors, etc needed for our room. I'll be using a digital camera battery charger and a blow dryer (yes,know they have them, but need my own)
Not knowing exactly what you already have I will tell you what worked for us on the Viking Spirit and Viking Pride. We purchased AA battery chargers, very inexpensive, which worked on either 110 or 220 power and used a Continental European adapter. We also have a 110 to 220 converter, did not use it, and the adapter fit onto it and then we were able to plug it in. The main thing you need to be sure to have is the Continental European adapter so that it will fit into the recessed hole.

Others had problems with the battery chargers supplied with their cameras because they had grounded plugs and the only adapters they could locate on the cruise were non grounded on each end. Their chargers required a grounded female end on the adapter and a non grounded male end to fit into the wall plug.

debbie p,

See my answer in this thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=411721&highlight=adapter

Check you digital camera charger (there must be a label on the charger) if it does work dual voltage (my battery charger for my digital says "INPUT 110V-240V 50/60Hz). Then you only need an adapter.

For your hair dryer (if it´s not a travel hair dryer with dual voltage) you need an adapter and a step-down converter. A converter is quite heavy and you need a high wattage converter (as hair dryers usually use 1000W - 1500W). So think about this twice!

steamboats

On my recent Viking Trip in Russia, several people could not use their converters. This was because the outlets are recessed and the converters were not. My converter came from Magellens and has several different configurations for Europe, GB, Africa, etc. I also always carry an extension cord and power strip. Takes little room and has saved the day more than once.

On my recent Viking Trip in Russia, several people could not use their converters. This was because the outlets are recessed and the converters were not. My converter came from Magellens and has several different configurations for Europe, GB, Africa, etc. I also always carry an extension cord and power strip. Takes little room and has saved the day more than once

Could I ask what exactly you bought from Magellans? I looked on the site and am completely confused!

Thanks

Debbie, take a look at this thread where Pam posted a picture of the outlet toward the bottom of the first page and provided some additional information. Also, the reception area provided us with an adaptor for the recess issue. Not sure how many of them they have but worked for us.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=399674

Steve

On our Amadagio cruise in October, we took a small low wattage converter with a European two prong plug which extended about 3/4 inches from the back of the converter. The receptacles are usually recessed about 1/2-3/4 inches so if your converter just has prongs sticking out the back, it won't work. I used this converter to plug in my camera battery charger, AA Nickel Metal Hydrides, and it worked just fine.

Forget about bringing a high wattage converter so you can use your own hair dryer. They weigh a ton and cost a lot too, and the ship will have a very nice modern hair dryer already installed for you. Besides, you will be beautiful no matter what...

Archived