Cellphones??

shadbrew

If you check with the crew, they will probably be able to direct you to a good place in port to use calling cards. I believe that US calling cards will work in San Juan and St. Thomas. There are probably cheap ones you can purchase in St. Maarten (if that is on your itinerary). There is also e-mail service available on the ship and at internet cafes on shore. Is there another family member who can e-mail you daily updates?

Have a great cruise!

You can call Verizon and get a plan for one month to allow you to call outside of USA. I was quoted 50.00 for 25 min. plus you will be charged a roaming charge and that can add up to 4-8.00 per minute. It is pricey. I would go the route of getting a calling card and I am sure you can find places on each Island to call.

Goodluck

If you decide to go via the calling card route, don't purchase the calling cards in the US---most don't work on the islands. You will have to purchase local calling cards in every port. You need to check if your cell phone has GSM or GPRS capability. I was just checking into new cell phones and I discovered that Verizon only offers one phone with international capability. You must also activiate international service, for an extra fee, and then pay roaming charges.

Best thing to do is call 611 on your phone and have them explain "international roaming" and "international dialing". I just got back from a cruise to the western Carib, and used my Verizon phone in Cozumel to call home and also to call my DW there in Cozumel on her phone. Verizon does receive calls on some ships depending on the installation the ship has. Again, best bet is to call 611, they can also add the international feature you want. Be sure to call back a few days after adding a feature and confirm it just to be sure!

Of making yourself crazy, I would ask a friend or relative to look in on your parents, leaving them the ship information.

If there is an emergency, they CAN get in touch with you , if alls OK then no need to worry or try to find ways to 'phone home'.

Dave:eek:

Archived