What to do on a rainy cruise?

cruzrmomma

So we're supposed to go to the W. Caribbean in a few weeks, and it looks like rain rain rain in every port! Any ideas on how to make the best of it? Belize, Costa maya, Cozumel and Grand Cayman-all beachy and outdoor activity ports.

do people just stay on the ship?

Our honeymoon cruise 22 years ago was all rain-but it's ok on a honeymoon!

So we're supposed to go to the W. Caribbean in a few weeks, and it looks like rain rain rain in every port! Any ideas on how to make the best of it? Belize, Costa maya, Cozumel and Grand Cayman-all beachy and outdoor activity ports. do people just stay on the ship? Our honeymoon cruise 22 years ago was all rain-but it's ok on a honeymoon!

Do what you did 22 years ago. :D

Depends on how hard it is raining. Snorkeling in the rain is ok. We have do it. Sight seeing (Mayan ruins) is another option. Wandering around the shops is something else you could do. How about Cervesa sampling.

Take umbrellas and parkas. Then it won't rain. ;)

Don't worry about the rain! We went on a cruise last May where I checked the weather's 10-day forecast ahead of time. It said there was an 80% chance of rain in every port we were going to. Well....we didn't have any rain at any of the ports we visited. Don't know whether it was just "timing" or the weather folks really didn't know what they were talking about.

You will find lots of things to do and have a great time.

When we have cruised, they've usually predicted rain, and we've been pretty lucky to not actually get rain too much. However, on the rare occasion that we did, the rain came down in spurts. It never rained all day long. It would come and go. I think that's rather typical for the Caribbean.

In the event of rain, mattress testing is about all there is to do.:D Not really, just check out the capers. We went ashore in Coz while it was raining, did all the shopping stuff, tested a few cervesas, and went back to the ship. As others have said, it usually doesn't rain the whole time. Have a great cruise!

I wouldn't worry about the forecast. Forecasts change often and many times they can't predict rain for later in the day, so I wouldn't concern myself with predictions that are two weeks out.

Many times when they say rain it's for just an hour or so. So, most times you can go on your excursions without a problem.

I wouldn't worry about it and would just focus on enjoying your cruise.

Keith

I was in Jamaica when it rained once. The rain lasted 10 minutes then stopped. It took 10 minutes to dry and I enjoyed it as it was a warm rain. A locale told me that it will happen again a little later in the day. Just as we were leaving port it started to rain again. Sailaway moved to the Crown and Anchor Bar. We had fun.

They still do the tours and excursions, even if it does rain. In 2004 we were in St. Thomas and St. Martin. The poor Tour bus driver on St. Martin had to keep stopping and he'd roll up the plastic window covers, then at the next stop it would start raining again, so he'd run around the bus and put them down. I think he did that about 10 times, but the tour proceeded. We had umbrellas, and rain coats. The weather forecast when we left here was for rain everyday on every island. We arrived in Puerto Rico to hot and humid weather at about 10:00 at night. About noon the next day, it started raining, and it rained for 6 days straight. The worst part was the 30 ft waves the Captain said we were hitting. Really rocked that little "Empress of the Seas". The Captain kept us informed, it wasn't a hurricane, but he said he was trying to sail around the storm front. If those waves and rocking were the outskirts of the storm, I sure wouldn't have wanted to be in the center of the storm. So you take your chances on when you book, nobody can predict the weather 100% at any given time.:p

It's an amazing thing those RAIN FORESTS, get it rain forest. We were in Grenada, on Grande Anse beach watching a rain cloud from the rain forest go right over our ship, we were getting sunburned. The only time I've had rain for longer than a few minutes was in Curacao where it rained for most of the morning. Didn't care cause we were snorkling. You're bound to get some, but remember that if there's a big storm at sea, the ship can go around it. I like the mattress testing too. Also, I have to tell you this, in a Tete a Tete with the Captain of our second cruise he said that on one cruise, a lady actually complained to 'him', that it rained in the rain forest. He said sorry, can't control the weather.

We cruised through last year's hurricane season, passing through Wilma and getting the dregs of Alpha. The only really good weather day was Labadee. One word of caution. If you go on tours near water, be cautious. The tour guides are there to make money and might take a chance and not cancel due to weather. It is not uncommon for surges or mudslides to come downstream and wash people away during a hard rain.

If you stay on ship- sitting on a covered balcony reading on a rainy day is lovely as are the hot tubs.

Offship- DH and I spent hours in a Starbucks in one port, just people-watching. You could do the same at any dockside restaurant.

Viv

Forcast of rain in the Caribbean can mean all day or 10 minutes, don't start worrying yet. I disagree about snorkeling; someone said you can snorkel in the rain, of course you can, but it isn't nearly the same as on a sunny morning. GC could be a problem as it is a tender port; often if it's raining they will not tender in. that being said, plan on reading, taking part in the many on board activities and maybe wander into port for a few minutes. A little tropical rain never hurt anyone.

We just did a 10 day Panama Canal cruise, saw a really sunny day once. We still had a good time. Would we have liked better weather? Of course, just island rain isn't like the cold rain you get on an Alaskan cruise.

Plan on having a great time, you will...........NMNita

Archived