Oriana v QM2

capegirl

We are cruising on Oriana for New Year. Last year we sailed on QM2 for Christmas/New Year and were terribly disappointed. Have never been on the Oriana, has anyone any comments to make on the differences between both ships!

What were you unhappy with? That might give people an idea as to which aspects to compare with the Oriana.

We were on the Oriana a couple of years ago, liked her very much but the cabin was not the best we have ever had! I think that it is the people that you meet on the cruise who make the difference.

Jo

We have cruised on the QM2 and, many times, on the Oriana. Ballroom and latin dancing is one of our hobbies and, although the QM 2 has a larger dancefloor, we found that the dance-bands were much better on the Oriana because they understood the British style of dancing and could play the correct tempo for each dance. The QM2 band, when we were aboard, could not play correct tempos for standard British dancing.

The Oriana Crow's Nest bar area is also superior to anything on QM2. there is a magnificent theatre, and some very classy public rooms. And we found that the food, in general terms, was better too on Oriana. Oriana is a lovely ship and, in a way, has taken on the mantle of the much-loved Canberra. Of course, the QM2 has many things to commend it but it seems to attract very many Americans and, as in other things, its enormous size is not always to its advantage. In the end it all comes down to what you want on a ship and what aspects of it interest you.

Thank you all for your replies. I am looking forward to my pending trip on Oriana and from what you say will not be disappointed like I was with QM2!

We have cruised on the QM2 and, many times, on the Oriana. Ballroom and latin dancing is one of our hobbies and, although the QM 2 has a larger dancefloor, we found that the dance-bands were much better on the Oriana because they understood the British style of dancing and could play the correct tempo for each dance. The QM2 band, when we were aboard, could not play correct tempos for standard British dancing.

The Oriana Crow's Nest bar area is also superior to anything on QM2. there is a magnificent theatre, and some very classy public rooms. And we found that the food, in general terms, was better too on Oriana. Oriana is a lovely ship and, in a way, has taken on the mantle of the much-loved Canberra. Of course, the QM2 has many things to commend it but it seems to attract very many Americans and, as in other things, its enormous size is not always to its advantage. In the end it all comes down to what you want on a ship and what aspects of it interest you.

I have not been on QM2 but have been on Oriana this year. I am sure you will not be disappointed after the multimillion pound refurbishment just completed. You, I believe will be the first to test her out? They have redone all the cabins, inside and outside/balconies etc including beds, bedding, carpets and curtains and many public rooms redone and enhanced. Also Gary Rhodes has opened a fine dining restaurant in the Curzon lounge. I found her a beautiful ship and am on her again next October, looking forward to the comparisons of before and after. I am 37 years old by the way.Hope you have a wonderful cruise.:) Hollyanna

My thoughts on QM2 - one word 'horrendous' did not like the gigantic warehouse feel to it. So huge with so many passengers one did not see the same person twice! Also am not in favour of the hull balconies, no sun and very small. One point in favour, the cabins were beautiful upholstered and very comfortable. The lounges and bars were too large and not at all cosy. The food was ok, we booked a year in advance and sat for our meals in Britannia Restuarant in a small side room next to wait galley! but did not complain after getting to know our very pleasant waiters. The entertainment was mediocre. Sorry about this but you did ask for my views!!

I am so looking forward to my cruise on Oriana and will report back my findings!

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from our Oriana New Year. Loved every minute of it. Ship has been beautifully refitted i.e. cabins have new bedding, upholstery and curtaining all very uptodate! The Oriental Restaurant is beautiful and the food was delicious. Madeira fireworks were something else! Highly recommend this ship! Far outweighs QM2 in style!

Hi Capegirl. My wife and a group of friends were also on the Oriana New Year Cruise and also thought it was fantastic (barring a little rough weather on the outward legs). Maybe we all saw each other !

We generally hung out after dinner at the Crows Nest on the bar stools.

FAO Capegirl and Mr Softy. I am very pleased you enjoyed Oriana, like I said in my previous post, she was great before the refurb but I bet she is stunning now!

I wondered if you went to the new Oriana Rhodes restaurant and if so what was it like and how much is the supplement? I am due to go on in October and my mother in September so cannot wait to see the changes since last June.

Do you have any cabin pictures? I have pic of an outside before the refurb.It did look a little tried!! I will only have an inside this time but my mother is in an outside stateroom with balcony. Thanks for any replys, Hollyanna:)

Hollyanna, I have a picture of our newly reburb cabin. Will have to learn how to put in on this site for you to view. You may have to wait until my son gets home for easter he will know how it is done.

We did not dine at Rhodes restuarant as it was fully booked. However people we had spoken to who had said it was delicious! I think it had a cover charge of around £15 pp.

• 7 months later...
I would love to hear what you did not like because I am going on my 3rd cruise on the QM2, this one over New Years. I have enjoyed my prior trips.

I agree, we have sailed on both the Oriana and The QMII and enjoyed them both for different reasons.

They are different Ships each with a different ambiance, and as for QMII being a warehouse:confused: you could walk around and find lots of cosy corners to sit and read, you could also get totally involved in a crowd of people for a drink in the evening, yes it it is sort of aimed at the US market but its what you want to make it:).

Cambridgecruiser

Hi we have not done Oriana but have done Arcadia and QM2 , would take Arcadia any time over QM2 we were most bitterly dissapointed with QM2 - never again (Dawn Princess leaves everything in her wake though !)

Jill n Paul

Well, I'm amazed.

My P & O experience is limited to one two night trip to Bruges on Arcadia. I'll be able to make a direct comparison later this year when I do the same itinerary on Queen Elizabeth 2, but I do realise that short trips tend not to show ships at their best.

I've been on Queen Mary 2 once, on a westbound transatlantic earlier this year.

My impressions of Arcadia were a very dark and dull ship, with little of interest. Our suite (C deck, aft corner on the starboard side) was cramped and the bathroom was already showing signes of wear, and this was back in 2005 (I think). Service was good from the cabin staff (one butler, one steward) and I did note the presence of a Bose CD player which I liked. But there was too much furniture in the cabin, and the balcony was overlooked (we're used to Queen Elizabeth 2 balconies, where nothing overlooks) and I am not sure that the stability would be good in really heavy seas.

The food was poor. Service was dreadful - one waiter was chewing gum - and we were placed by a window right at the rear of the ship on the lower level. The noise from the pods was dreadful, as was the vibration. We ordered steak one night, and mine came with a red plastic cowboy in it to tell the waiter that it was the less cooked. Honestly! I am not joking.

All up we said "never again" and haven't even looked at P & O since.

Interestingly a friend who had done a Mediterranean cruise on Aurora (I think) and had a wonderful time came away from a Caribbean trip on Arcadia appalled - and she's only ever travelled on P & O.

As for the Mary - did none of you discover the Commodore Club, forward on deck 9? Of course you wouldn't expect a lounge over the Bridge - she's a liner, not a cruise ship. I thought the food in the Britannia Club was superb, and a lot of people who have opinions I respect speak highly of the main part of the Britannia.

Yes - the in-hull balconies (decks 4-6) aren't ideal for a cruise, but then the ship is an ocean liner, and reports suggest that in many ways they are better for a crossing than a traditional balcony. Certainly my balcony on deck 12 was very windy (which I quite like) and the total use was limited - although all enjoyed.

What surprised me about the Queen Mary 2 was how it swallowed the huge number of passengers so well. I'm used to the Queen Elizabeth 2, and we tend to never go below the quarter deck so the areas of the ship we use are more limited. Very different from Queen Mary 2, but they are very different ships.

The service on Queen Mary 2 was (other than my cabin steward) was truly superb. The cabin steward was adequate.

The cabin itself, whilst smaller than that of the Arcadia (which was fine as I was travelling alone on that trip) was beautifully designed and had a more spacious air, even in significantly less space.

I'm not trying to convert anyone, but sense that people are against the Queen Mary 2 because she has a lot of Americans and isn't a P & O ship. Those aren't faults.

Matthew

I have sailed on both ships (and Arcadia). I simply cannot understand the comments made by PAULNJILL. Whether one likes or dislikes a ship is very subjective. I, for instance, do not like the Sun Class of ship, and that is largely based on the layout and passenger flow which I think is very heavily influenced by American market demands. Each of the ships represents a different product. I have thoroughly enjoyed Oriana, indeed our next Oriana cruise is in October. She is a traditional ship and caters accordingly. At first, I reserved opinion on Arcadia but on reflection and after a couple of very enjoyable cruises, I can say that I am won over. Initially, she had a number of problems, not least the severe vibration to which Matthew alludes, but that is caused at speed by cavitation and I am led to believe that it has been largely overcome by an air cushion system. In my recent experience, the crew are now happy and loyal to the ship and the teething troubles have largely been corrected. Internal decor was always going to be an issue as she has had an identity crisis since birth! HAL, Cunard, P&O? However that can be evolved through time. Whether for better of worse is in the eye of the individual. QE2 bears little resemblance to the ship that left the Clyde. My remaining concern is the Belvedere which is an overcrowded eatery populated by a rabble conducting a bunfight to find seats. However, in many ways this is similar to King's Court on QM2 at lunchtime. The answer is that there are alternative places to go until a solution is implemented. That leads me on to QM2 herself. I can only offer my opinion on this board as I have on the Cunard board. I love the ship (as an ocean liner). I cannot see myself taking a cruise, but I intend to take many more crossings, God willing. How this liner can be compared to a warehouse defies all logic that I understand. I have made many friends on board and I find no problem in meeting them whether in the Commodore Club, the Chart Room or one of the other locations on the ship. Indeed I find that I regularly bump into the same people during a 6 night crossing. Furthermore, it is not unusual to find a relatively secluded spot to sit down to read, as on any P&O ships on which I have travelled.

I suppose that each person is entitled to his own view, and in conclusion, I would say that I would rather be at sea than not, so show me the ship and I'll go!! :)

David

Well, I'm amazed.

My impressions of Arcadia were a very dark and dull ship, with little of interest. Our suite (C deck, aft corner on the starboard side) was cramped and the bathroom was already showing signes of wear, and this was back in 2005 (I think). Service was good from the cabin staff (one butler, one steward) and I did note the presence of a Bose CD player which I liked. But there was too much furniture in the cabin, and the balcony was overlooked (we're used to Queen Elizabeth 2 balconies, where nothing overlooks) and I am not sure that the stability would be good in really heavy seas.

The food was poor. Service was dreadful - one waiter was chewing gum - and we were placed by a window right at the rear of the ship on the lower level.

Matthew

Matthew,

If you know that 2 night cruises are different then why judge a cruise line by one.

I do not recognize the wonderful ship I sailed on in October and have booked again next July, by your description.

We had excellent food and superb service and we were within one table of the back of the ship on a trans-Atlantic cruise with a couple of days of lumpy weather and it was fine. No vibration at all.

We had a side suite but friends had one of the stern suites on the corner with the massive balconies. We went to a party in their cabin and the balcony held 16 people comfortably. These cabins are very popular and go very quickly on most cruises. I would love one for a fjords cruise and for sailaways they are brilliant.

We have not been one the QM2 yet but I am sure we would enjoy that ship as much, but it would be different.

When we go on Ventura in Jan 09 that will be our 7th P&O ship and all have been great, and all a different experience.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Matthew,

If you know that 2 night cruises are different then why judge a cruise line by one.

When I booked it I didn't then realise the problems. But a lot of the things I criticised were not such as they would improve on a more relaxed cruise - although clearly (with my greater experience I have now) I realise that things would definitely improve with a longer trip.

I thought the caveat was important, as I know Queen Elizabeth 2 isn't at her best with short cruises. However, some things don't change - we were disappointed with the physical side of the ship.

The difficulty comes when I have a very pro-P & O friend also unhappy with the ship - it doesn't encourage another week or two on board.....

Matthew

QM2 recently suffered multiple complaints after a short cruise, and QM2 has had the usual spread of good and bad reports about crossings as well.

We have only ever sailed on QM2 on crossings - wouldn't ever do a cruise on her, just not the same ship for short jagging.

We sailed on Oriana about four years ago and thought then that she was a most comfortable ship, though the food was not at that time so much to our taste as that on Cunard.

One good point was that the captain walked round the ship every morning, and chatted to people. Some chance of that with Cunard!! Anyway we are trying Oriana again, sailing on Tuesday for the Caribbean. As we were on QM2 only in July this should be a good comparison.

Will report when we get back.

David.

One good point was that the captain walked round the ship every morning, and chatted to people. Some chance of that with Cunard!!

I more than once saw Captain and Mrs. Rynd walking around the ship of an evening.

The Captain on a crossing may be very busy - especially if there is fog.

Matthew

• 4 weeks later...

How does Oriana compare? Very well I would say after just coming off Oriana from a Caribbean cruise and having done a double crossing on QM2 in the summer.

Embarkation is handled differently on both ships. On QM2 boarding does not start until all the cabins are ready for occupation. This can mean a wait in the arrival lounge. P&O boards passengers as soon as they arrive, in our case 12 noon. The Conservatory (self service) is open for lunch and the cabins are ready at 2pm, though canny passengers check to see if theirs is ready before that. On balance I prefer the P&O way.

The cabins seem to be much the same on both ships with the tea making facility as befits a British marketed ship in the Oriana cabin. Both have a fridge, a safe and a hair dryer that my beloved tells me is better on Oriana. But Cunard provide a good range of cosmetics in the bathroom. P&O do not, and this seems to be a bit shortsighted and stingy. It would not cost much to make a better initial impression.

The standard of the food served on Oriana has improved greatly since we last sailed on her a few years ago. I would rate it marginally better in the dining room on QM2, but much better in the Oriana self service Conservatory than in the QM2 Kings Court. The main difference is that Oriana food is angled towards a supposed British diet, with lavish quantities of potatoes and vegetables served “silver service”. Steak and some other meat dishes are best avoided though others were excellent. On the other hand the Conservatory breakfasts and lunches were outstanding, again with a very British feel. The star items are the curries and the traditional British puddings, such as jam roly- poly, crumbles, and various sponge puddings all served with genuine (Birds?) custard, and milk puddings like creamed rice, tapioca or semolina. Back to the nursery?

The staff on Oriana are mainly from India, with some Philippinos. We found them to be excellent. There is probably little difference between the two ships despite Cunard’s claims for their supposed superior “White Star Service”. Leon the cruise director is the best we have seen.

There seemed to be much more adherence to the dress code throughout the ship on Oriana than on QM2, where the dress standards outside the dining rooms on formal evenings can be quite shocking, (if this is an issue with you.) This could be because of the way QM2 is marketed and discounted or because on our cruise the average passenger age was quite high. The passengers were also pretty well 100% British, but whether this was a reason I don’t know.

QM2 is certainly a much grander ship than Oriana, and although quite ugly from the outside, she has the space to provide some spectacular public rooms. Her Britannia dining room is superb, also the Queens Room. The theatre is not so good – a waste of such a big space and the Oriana version works much better for me. Also the Yacht Club is a more pleasant lounge that the QM2 Commodore Club. While QE2 is grand, Oriana is more homely, if that word can be used for a ship, and she really does best what she was built for – cruising. Oriana has much more usable deck space and outdoor pools ideal for hot climate cruising. QM2 is an ocean liner and can’t compete in the Caribbean. But then Oriana can’t cross the North Atlantic through any sort of sea conditions and arrive dead on time.

Horses for courses!!

David.

I have found this thread very interesting for a number of reason.

My wife and I have cruised now 7 times and love the overall cruise holiday expereince, We deffinitely prefer more formal traditional style cruising so have avoid some of the American lines, However we had a very nice experience onboard the Celebrity Millennium last Feb around the Caribbean from Miami.

To date my favorite and best cruise holiday was aboard the Arcardia in July 2006 on a Baltic itinerary. It was fantastic as a youngish couple in our late thirties with no children everything about it hit the spot.

A modern contempory ship open and airy ( No Children ) large cabins great service we loved it. As a point if interest we booked a weekend break on Aurora in September to try another pando ship, and before I go any further I agree you cannot judge a ship on a short break, However I didn't like it at all, A confusing strange lay out dark and cramped feeling the cabins are really small and to be frank the balcony hardly worth bothering with.

I will not join the Aurora again and if it had been my first P&O experience may have but me of for good. My Parents have cruised aboard the Oceana and love it and are trying the Aurora in June next year, they also sailed with us on the Arcadia in 2006 so have a wider feel for P&O and love it.

Im interested in the comments reference the QM2 is the a general view on Cunard or just the QM2, I ask as my wife and I are considering a transatlantic including New England, However as I like the Arcadia would we better on the Queen Victoria as she is the same config and size?

Following the comments on here I am wondering if I really should pay top price for a cabin with balcony on board the QM2 or look at other options?

Archived