Transport chair vs wheelchair

snowmen

I am pretty convinced that I will rent a transport chair for my mother to take on the cruise. Mainly because it only weighs about 15 lbs. I am the only one responsible for getting her and the chair around. I am a small 60 yo and don't want to totally wear myself out on this cruise.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Any reason I should reconsider and look harder at a wheelchair?

Personally I think the little transport chairs are harder to maneuver than a good manual wheelchair. Those little wheels make it real difficult, so if you are looking for ease of use, I wouldn't recommend a transport chair. I also think they are pretty cheaply made and don't hold up well (so some of the parts tend to break, which is an issue if it breaks when you are in Curacao). I know some folks use them with no problems, but I've had scads of complaints about them.

Candy

I agree with Queenie. My Dad had a transport chair and it was awful. Those little wheels were almost impossible to push over carpet and I think that on a ship, the sheer distances you will have to push will totally wear you out. Also, from my Dad's point of view, he didn't like it, because if someone left him somewhere, he could not move, as he could not control the wheels and was totally at his pusher's mercy. I now have a lightweight chair with large wheels, and it is good to be able to move if my DH has parked me somewhere I don't wish to be (like among all the wool pants in the department store...........talk about HOT), I can move........just a few feet sometimes makes all the difference. The large wheels also go over a bump, or a curb much more easily than the little wheels, and absorb the shock better. Even better, if your Mom can swing it, would be to rent her a scooter, and she would have much more independence, and you wouldn't have to push at all. However, at ports where you tendered, you probably would not be able to take the scooter off the ship. We always take my chair for shore trips and the scooter for use on the ship.

Whatever you decide, hope you and your Mom have a great cruise!

I agree. Transport chairs are horrible on carpet, strand the person using it where ever they are "parked", and really difficult to get up over curbs or steps on shore without any ramps (or with cobblestones). They also tend to be flimsy and easily damaged.

Look into a lightweight manual regular chair with "quick release" wheels. These allow you to remove the wheels to store it in a small trunk, and lift it into the trunk or car, which makes each part of the chair actually weigh less than the 15 lb. you mention. Removable arm and foot rests can also be removed, and make the chair much more versatile. You can find some decent chairs at good prices over at http://www.spinlife.com

http://www.spinlife.com/critpath/match.cfm?categoryID=7

This is another vote against the transport chair. do see if you can rent a small travel scooter from Scoot Around or Care Vacations. Your mom can go where she wants when she wants. She can even go to the Buffet by herself if she wants, they will carry her tray and get her drinks. She will love the freedom and so will you.

Mine is a case of 'ignorance is bliss'. We liked the transport chair that we rented so much that we bought a used one for my husband.

We've taken it on 3 cruises and have never had a problem. But, I've never used a wheelchair - thus the ignorance comment.

I agree it was tough pushing it on carpet, but we always get an aft cabin close to an elevator, which means no walking down those long halls and we're always close to the dining rooms and buffets. (Remember, AFT translates into FAT - that's where the food is)

As for being stuck some place, my husband can walk and/or move the chair with his feet. That certainly makes a big difference.

Our transport chair to rent was only $38. for a month, I don't know about the pricing for a wheelchair.

Whichever you do - have a great time.

Archived