Buffett Cheeseburger

idjaffe

OK - know this is silly.....

Jimmy's famous song was wrtten about the grill at one of the docks in Tortola....he wrote it after being stranded at sea for a couple of days, and limping into port with his sailboat.

Told my kids that we would find "the spot".

Can anyone help identify where to go on the island and find the Cheesburger in Paradise?

Many places on different islands lay claim to being "the place" and Jimmy has never given a definitive answer to which is the real one. On Tortola the claim belongs to Stanley's in Cane Garden Bay. The cheeseburgers are good and the view is beautiful so what the heck, it's as good a place as any.

BUT:

From Jimmy's Website (Margarittaville dot com):

"The myth of the cheeseburger in paradise goes back to a long trip on my first boat, the Euphoria. We had run into some very rough weather crossing the Mona Passage between Hispaniola and Puerto Rico and broke our bow sprit. The ice in our box had melted, and we were doing the canned-food-and-peanut-butter diet. The vision of a piping hot cheeseburger kept popping into my mind. We limped up the Sir Francis Drake Channel and into Roadtown on the island of Tortola, where a brand-new marina and bar sat on the end of the dock, like a mirage. We secured the boat, kissed the ground, and headed for the restaurant. To our amazement, we were offered a menu that featured an American cheeseburger and pina coladas. Now these were the the days when supplies in that part of the world were rather scarce-when horsemeat was more plentiful than ground beef in the tiny stores of the Third World. Anyway, we gave particular instructions to the waiter on how we wanted them cooked and what we wanted on them-to which little attention was paid. It didn't matter. The overdone burgers on the burned, toasted buns tasted like manna from heaven, for they were the realization of my fantasy burgers on the trip. That's the true story. I've heard other people and places claim that I stopped or cooked in their restaurants, but this is the way it happened."

In any case - will keep your suggestion in mind!

THANKS.

idjaffe,

Everyone is free to believe what they wish but that story is one of many JB has told about the cheeseburger in paradise. In one interview he admitted attributing the burger to a number of places. I guess we all have our own vision of where that place really is.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I have wondered about that story is, if they were doing the Mona, why did they sail completely past all of Puerto Rico, the Spanish Virgins, and the US Virgins. A distance of over 200 miles, to get to Tortola if their boat needed work? :confused: I would think they would stop for repairs before attempting to "limp" all the way into Road Town.

• 3 weeks later...

Le Select has a special relationship with Jimmy, so they could say anything they want, and he would probably back them up. He owned his own place on St Barts, so I would think he would have been familiar with all the resturants, therefore he wouldn't have been surprised to find somewhere that offered burgers. My vote is on Tortola...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived