coffee lovers question

snl

All you coffee people out there I need your opinion on Crown's coffee situation.

All other cruises we've taken, we have brought our own machine. This time around we dont want to unless we have to.

I know its all a matter of opinion but.....how's the free regular coffee?:)

Thanks everyone.

Also, can you bring liquor on from the ports without them holding it until the end of the cruise??:)

The 2 most important things right???

Well my fiance is a huge coffee drinker, we were on the Grand Princess and he said the free coffee was horrible. He ended up buying the coffee from the shop where you had to pay. A little better he said (he loves Starbucks).

As for the alcohol, they said you were supposed to check it when you got back on the ship and had a table set up. We had it in our bags and walked right by. I am not sure how it will be on your ship though, but wanted to let you know how our experience was.

A little trick I learned with the coffee was to dilute it about 1/3 to 1/4 hot water. It was still more than strong enough for an all day coffee drinker, but the taste was actually much better than drinking it straight. DW always thought I was getting it from a different place than she was.

I'm going to offer a differing opinion here...

My wife and I are big coffee drinkers at home, and only buy a locally roasted, premium brand. But contrary to the reports of "awful" coffee on this board, we found that the coffee wasn't bad at all. It certainly didn't compare with what we make at home, but it was fine. We usually had a pot delivered by room service in the morning, and also had a cup after dinner in the dining room. During other times of day, we'd go to the International Cafe and use our coffee card for an espresso or cup of the Jamaican Blue Mountain, which were both very good. Also contrary to other opinions here, we didn't think that the plain-old brewed coffee at the International cafe was any better than the coffee that came with room service.

This thread must go back some years now.

I enjoy cruising with Princess, but the coffee is uuuuuugggghhhhhhh! Surely it's someone in the accounts department showing that by using concentrate they can save X$ .... Put 10$ on my cruise bill and let me have a decent cup of coffee in the Horizon Court....please!

As has been said, coffee is a personal taste. I LOVE coffee and the only time I've had undrinkable coffee that I had to throw away was at Starbucks. (My nephew managed a Starbucks in NYC and HE wouldn't drink the coffee!) I don't put cream or sugar in it and find that the Princess coffee is completely acceptable, syrup, caffeine or decaf. I drink it in the buffet and in the dining room. Have never had a problem nor have I ever seen anyone sending their coffee back at night.

For my upcoming cruise, based on all the negative feedback I've heard on Princess' coffee I'm planning to bring my French press travel mug. Then I can just order hot water for tea through room service OR get it at breakfast, and it's good plus portable. :) Saves a little packing room on the coffee machine (even a smallish one) and can enjoy a decent cup o' joe on the balcony, too.

This thread must go back some years now.

I enjoy cruising with Princess, but the coffee is uuuuuugggghhhhhhh! Surely it's someone in the accounts department showing that by using concentrate they can save X$ .... Put 10$ on my cruise bill and let me have a decent cup of coffee in the Horizon Court....please!

After 15 cruises, we have found the PERFECT solution to "syrup" coffee...(or watery coffee, depending on the line you are cruising)...we buy and bring our own $12.00 coffee maker with our starbucks ground coffee and enjoy in our room whenever we want...then we have a WONDERFUL gift to give our cabin steward (along with a calling card and $$) as a thank you for such great service...it has ALWAYS been appreciated...even if they personally don't want it, they are great "barter" items per our stewards of past! :)

This thread must go back some years now. I enjoy cruising with Princess, but the coffee is uuuuuugggghhhhhhh! Surely it's someone in the accounts department showing that by using concentrate they can save X$ .... Put 10$ on my cruise bill and let me have a decent cup of coffee in the Horizon Court....please!

They are propably saving labor $'s. Brewing takes time and extra equipment. So they are taking a shortcut. May even be paying big bucks for the syrup, but very little labor involved.

Hi There,

The coffee that you get sent to your room in the morning will taste different depending on what and how much you have had the night before, the coffee from the bars is really quite nice. As for the other stuff sorry I do not like it.

yours Shogun

For my upcoming cruise, based on all the negative feedback I've heard on Princess' coffee I'm planning to bring my French press travel mug. Then I can just order hot water for tea through room service OR get it at breakfast, and it's good plus portable. :) Saves a little packing room on the coffee machine (even a smallish one) and can enjoy a decent cup o' joe on the balcony, too.

Where do you buy a French Press traveling mug?:confused:

Also for everyone's knowledge, Princess policy does not allow any heating elements in the room because they can cause fires (don't kill the messenger, me that is). That's why I like this idea of French Press traveling mugs. I love Starbucks Extra Bold but will drink Concentrate Coffee :eek: (Syrup, no sugar added) in the Horizon Court (don't like to but will sacrifice for a wonderful cruise:) ).

From one who needs his coffee fix in the morning.

Dollar Bill:)

Where do you buy a French Press traveling mug?:confused:

Also for everyone's knowledge, Princess policy does not allow any heating elements in the room because they can cause fires (don't kill the messenger, me that is). That's why I like this idea of French Press traveling mugs. I love Starbucks Extra Bold but will drink Concentrate Coffee :eek: (Syrup, no sugar added) in the Horizon Court (don't like to but will sacrifice for a wonderful cruise:) ).

From one who needs his coffee fix in the morning.

Dollar Bill:)

Mine is a Bodum, I think. It's fairly slender/packable -- standard travel mug size. I've also seen them in "coffee establishments" in different varieties. I suggest just looking on Amazon. Cool because all you need to worry about packing is this plus your coffee-of-choice, and you're all set. No heating element issue, like you say. :) Good luck!

The french press is the way to go. Starbucks has s personal coffee mug that is also a french press. It is perfect for cruising. :D

Will have to check those out.

I have been using the flavored splenda in my coffee and plan to take those on our next cruise to 'help' improve the buffet coffee.

Mine is a Bodum, I think. It's fairly slender/packable -- standard travel mug size. I've also seen them in "coffee establishments" in different varieties. I suggest just looking on Amazon. Cool because all you need to worry about packing is this plus your coffee-of-choice, and you're all set. No heating element issue, like you say. :) Good luck!

Thanks, everytime I drink a cup of coffee out of my newly purchased travel mug on a cruise I'll think of the wonderful info on this thread.

Bill and Vicky:) :) :)

Archived