airfare

Always arrange my own airfare wherever I'm going. For a cruise, definitely plan to arrive in the departure city at least one day BEFORE the ship sails. There are too many things that can go wrong with air delays (mechanical, weather, etc) that would delay your arrival - and possibly miss the ship!

BTW - to find airfare, I first search a site with lots of airline options (i.e. Travelocity or Expedia). Then when I determine the airline with the best pricing, schedule for my needs - I go directly to their website to make the purchase.

I have always booked my own airfare for two reasons. 1) I've always found a lower rate 2) I'm a control freak and like to choose my own airline/time/seats

It is possible to pay RCCL a custom air fee and choose your own flights, but I prefer the lower rate I get on my own.

This really is a personal decision, so go with your gut instinct. If you think you'll feel more secure in having everything handled for you, especially unforseen events, maybe buying your own tickets isn't for you. I always purchase insurance, so even if something goes wrong I have something to fall back on. Good luck with your decision!

It's so much better to book your own air. That way, you have control of routing, seats, times, etc.... If you go through RCI, it will cost more, especially if you choose "custom" air. Book directly through the airline--they will give you good rates over the internet (best rates are usually 60-45 days out) Just keep checking rates! And by all means DO get there the day before--it's just prudent, and worth the price of a hotel. You'll arrive at the ship for early boarding, maximizing the value of that 1st day's fare!!!!

It's so much better to book your own air. That way, you have control of routing, seats, times, etc.... If you go through RCI, it will cost more, especially if you choose "custom" air. Book directly through the airline--they will give you good rates over the internet (best rates are usually 60-45 days out) Just keep checking rates! And by all means DO get there the day before--it's just prudent, and worth the price of a hotel. You'll arrive at the ship for early boarding, maximizing the value of that 1st day's fare!!!!

Gee, we just used Celebrity's custom air (we have used RCI's in the past when appropriate) and we got to pick our flights, seat assignments, and it DIDN'T cost more. In fact, it was cheaper than booking the same flight directly with the airline. I guess you can't believe everything that people post on here. :rolleyes: There are occasions when it will be cheaper to book the flights on your own, but there is no one way of doing it that is right in every instance.

Check out all your options before deciding how to book your flights. It isn't Always so much better to book your own, and it isn't Always better to use Custom Air. You just need to check the facts before you decide.:)

We book our own for the same reasons mentioned by others so far. For one cruise we paid way too much going through RCI. We always do better doing it ourselves. And we always try to book nonstop flights.

The point made already about arriving the day prior to the cruise is a rule we follow when at all possible - especially in the winter months.

Gee, we just used Celebrity's custom air (we have used RCI's in the past when appropriate) and we got to pick our flights, seat assignments, and it DIDN'T cost more. In fact, it was cheaper than booking the same flight directly with the airline. I guess you can't believe everything that people post on here. :rolleyes: There are occasions when it will be cheaper to book the flights on your own, but there is no one way of doing it that is right in every instance.

Check out all your options before deciding how to book your flights. It isn't Always so much better to book your own, and it isn't Always better to use Custom Air. You just need to check the facts before you decide.:)

Very thoughtful reply, same could be said for those that say "always go a day before" or "always buy insurance", each person needs to make choices that are best for their circumstances.

I am a TA and I book cruises both ways..with cruise air and seperatly. If you live in a city where you can get direct flights (major cities) cruise air usually will work out fine. If you have to have specific flights and times, an air deviation can do this for you. I have found cruise air is usually not that different in price from buying on your own, especially when you add the cost of transfers. I would caution, however that the schedule changes on air have been crazy lately, and if you book on your own you may be stuck with horrendous flight times,layovers etc that may make you either late for departure, or give you a return flight that is almost impossible to make.. If you are looking at a cruise over 120 days out, I would recommend adding the air on from the cruiselines (you can cancel til final payment) and continue to look on your own. At final payment you then need to decide which way to go.

I am a TA and I book cruises both ways..with cruise air and seperatly. If you live in a city where you can get direct flights (major cities) cruise air usually will work out fine. If you have to have specific flights and times, an air deviation can do this for you. I have found cruise air is usually not that different in price from buying on your own, especially when you add the cost of transfers. I would caution, however that the schedule changes on air have been crazy lately, and if you book on your own you may be stuck with horrendous flight times,layovers etc that may make you either late for departure, or give you a return flight that is almost impossible to make.. If you are looking at a cruise over 120 days out, I would recommend adding the air on from the cruiselines (you can cancel til final payment) and continue to look on your own. At final payment you then need to decide which way to go.

Excellent advice. There is NO ONE WAY that is right in every instance. If you really want to maintain control of your trip, investigate ALL your options before deciding which way to book, and after you do book, monitor your arrangements regularly :)in case there are any changes.

Archived