How to Pack

richrhon1

I'd strongly suggest that if people do plan to re-wear evening attire or other garments, they really, really check the, um, cleanliness of said garments....even a dress shirt only worn for dinner and the evening more than once, or slacks worn several times, *can* be unpleasant for one's companions if it is not 'fresh'....and as we age, our sense of smell is often not as sharp as it once was.

I always check, and while I can get away with re-wearing slacks a few time, and a jacket twice or three times depending upon what I'm doing, I almost never re-wear a dress shirt. For one thing, it's going to be wrinkled. And, for another, even though I always wear an undershirt, the dress shirt (Tux Shirt, etc) is usually enough-soiled after dancing, etc., that I need to have it cleaned.

On cruises of 10+ days I always send out clothing for dry cleaning our laundry. And, I always bring things that won't shrink in the laundry and have never had a problem in that department.

So, never fear ... my stinky carcass won't be bothering you. :D

Me, Three!!!!

Hope you have an amazing time, ANSalberg.

I tip my hat to you that you can manage with only two suitcases. I need that to go out for lunch. ;)

We take only one large each for a month to 2 month cruise [ the Pacific Rim cruise2005/Amsterdam] and had plenty to wear [ of course I was SICK to death of what I HAD taken by the time we packed to go home!] Evening wear is "mix & Match" in black and whatever. ANY shoes I take are "good walking shoes" - I don't even want to THINK about wearing anything uncomfortable. I'm not a "fashion plate" nor would I want to be - I'll leave that to the under 40s who have the "cute" figures [Mine ceased to be "cute" 20+ years ago!]

OTOH -THIS itinerary is pretty much between Cancer and Capricorn [ with a few exceptions] and predicted temps are all within "reasonably warm" so packing for a longer cruise is MUCH easier [ Thank you, HAL]

I'm SURE it'll be amazing - I read all of "Ides" reports for 2006 and drooled with envy. Egypt/India and NEW-to-us Asian ports. What an ADVENTURE!!!!And, after all- what ELSE IS life but an adventure [Auntie Mame]

We try to pack light, and envision ourselves just bringing to carry-ons. This plan has never come to fruition, though!

On our last cruise, we brought 2 suitcases for clothes, one of which has a folding garment section attached. We practiced cross-packing (some of each of our things in both suitcases) in case one didn't make it to our stateroom.

I used a backpack as a carry-on for swimsuits and a change of clothes for dinner.

Finally, in a flurry of overpacking, we brought a rolling carry-on with nothing but shoes and fine champagnes & wines (5) for the stateroom and possibly the dining room. We bubble-wrapped the bottles, and they all arrived safe and sound, though the baggage handers were beating the heck out of luggage in the loading areas. We didn't have to fly, but if we did, I would have brought wine only - don't subject fine champagne to an unpressurized airplane cargo hold; it's not pretty.

I always check, and while I can get away with re-wearing slacks a few time, and a jacket twice or three times depending upon what I'm doing, I almost never re-wear a dress shirt. For one thing, it's going to be wrinkled. And, for another, even though I always wear an undershirt, the dress shirt (Tux Shirt, etc) is usually enough-soiled after dancing, etc., that I need to have it cleaned.

On cruises of 10+ days I always send out clothing for dry cleaning our laundry. And, I always bring things that won't shrink in the laundry and have never had a problem in that department.

So, never fear ... my stinky carcass won't be bothering you. :D

RevNeal,

In no way was my post directed at you personally (nor anyone else on this board personally, for that matter). I simply have noted over the course of the last seven or eight cruises (and moreso since airlines have cut back even further on the weight allowance for baggage, which does complicate packing), that there are, on each cruise, a number, be that one or more, individuals whose garments are very obviously repeated, with the same soil/stains daily, and not as 'fresh' as might be considerate to fellow cruisers.

On a very recent cruise I had the unpleasant experience of having a lovely lady we'd met on a tour a few days before come right out and ask me to kindly be sure my companion (who fancied her quite a bit) did NOT take the seat next her in the coach the following day...for the very reason that he is originally from a culture where use of chemical deodorants is not common and re-wearing garments is the norm, and close quarters with him can, at times be a potent experience. And, at an advanced age, he is not aware of it, and does not believe me when I try to gently mention it.

I'm all for packing lighter. But I'm also aware that individuals often cannot detect odors on themselves, and the self-service or send-out laundry or drycleaning is definitely one's friend.

I can't see you in a linen day dress anyway, though I'd love to meet you in person on a DamShip one day!

Sorry if you or anyone here took any aspect of my previous post personally. That was not the intent (I've actually never met any of you though I think we did fly over with a couple from the Roll Call for our sailing, but I did not have an opportunity to confirm that).

LZ

I'd strongly suggest that if people do plan to re-wear evening attire or other garments, they really, really check the, um, cleanliness of said garments....even a dress shirt only worn for dinner and the evening more than once, or slacks worn several times, *can* be unpleasant for one's companions if it is not 'fresh'....and as we age, our sense of smell is often not as sharp as it once was. There were several folks among the interesting and lovely folks we met on our recent cruise who were a bit unpleasing to be nearby toward the end of the 15 days....and there is no polite way to say anything about it that I can come up with.

LZ

Uh, HELLO!!! Common sense here?? I don't know you or who you may be traveling with, but for me (and the people I tend to associate with), this is a complete non-issue! ;)

HAL's unlimited or laundry by the bag might be an option you may wish to pursue/consider in the future. :)

I usually bring more outfits than I'll ever need - and because I always pack for my DH, he does too, lol!!!

Thanks for all the hints. It's helping me, but I'm not sure about my DW. DW packing now and I can't lift it. She is taking 1/2 the closet and things are a little tense in the house right now as we are leaving for FLL in the AM. Kids are packed, I'm waiting until she is out of the room and done. Oy vay!

No real reason to do that. Just pack less ... and then use the ship's laundry facilities if need be. Even if you don't have self-service laundries on your particular ship, the price of the "stuff a bag" laundry service is very, very reasonable. I'd sooner pack less and then make plans to send a bag of laundry out during the cruise. In fact, I pack about the same for a ten-day cruise as I will pack for a 30-day one. I just use the laundry service a bit more on the 30-day one.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived