How to Pack

richrhon1

I actually underpacked this year and it seemed to work out for me. I would suggest you take jogging pants or jeans to wear in the lounges. They keep them cold, so you'll want to have a jacket also.

Like I've said in other threads, alot of people change clothes after dinner to be more comfortable. It's your preference. I was walking down the hall in my flip flops and a lady in heels said she'd give me $20 for my shoes!!!

DH and I are just finishing our packing as we sail on the Zuiderdam tomorrow :cool: We have 3 suitcases ranging in size from large down to regular size carryon, plus a garment bag for tux, sport coat, and my dressy clothes. One of the suitcases actually has snorkel fins and masks, small cans of pop, and liquor, the last two items being consumable and won't be returning with us. The other two suitcases are not packed to capacity because we will be shopping 'til we drop in St. Thomas and wanted to have room for our loot. We each have 3 pairs of shorts and t-shirts for daytime and 2 swimsuits/trunks. I used to bring a separate outfit for every dinner, but now I tend to coordinate better with two pairs of black slacks and dressy tops, one pair of white cropped slacks and several tops, and one long dressy black skirt with two tops for formal nights. DH has one tux with two shirts, one sport coat with shirt/tie, and two pairs of khaki's with two tropical shirts and several nice golf shirts. I always say I'm going to cut down on what we bring and I have, but it still seems like alot of stuff :D

Holland America - 2004, 2006

Carnival - 1995, 1998, 2006, 2006

NCL - 1994, 1996, 1997, 2002

Royal Caribbean - 2002

One Garment Bag for Tuxes, Blazers, Slacks, Dress Shirts, Formalwear Accessories & Shoes, etc.

One Rolling Bag for shoes & sandals, baseball caps, underwear, toiletries & sunscreen, casual wear & swimwear and a collapsible HAL bag for shlepping oversized souvenirs off the ship.

One Carry-on for contact lens stuff, prescriptions, one change of clothes, pajamas, and either snacks & water for the plane or Champagne for boarding ship ;)

One Briefcase for laptop & assorted cords, reading material, travel documents and chocolates.

...and if it's a Gay Charter, another rolling bag for all the costumes.

:D

List time we went on a cruise we ended up taking 10 bags, 2 for each of us, which seemed excessive. How much does everyone typically pack for a 7 day cruise? Just curious.

remember...less is best! I used to take outfits (shorts/capris and top) for each day, plus something for dinner each evening...now I take two short/capri sets with an extra top for each, two outfits for dinner with mix-match tops, and two formal evening outfits for formal nights. For DH, two pair of docker pants, four shirts, two pair of shorts and Ts and his tux with two shirts. of course we take several bathing suits and coverups/tops. Remember, you live in your bathing suit. Most shore excursions we take are water-related...so we generally just throw on a paid of shorts/T over our suit for breakfast and that's what we wear all day. Same for sea days. for the two of us we take one large suitcase (not too large or we exceed the weight limit), one garment bag and we each take a carry on that holds our cameras, RX, toiletries, wine, and a swim suit and T. Hubby's carry on is a back pack...since we use it for shore excursions. My carry on is a large berach tote that we also use for our day at Half Moom Cay and shore excursions (it's perfect for our snokeling gear...minus fins).

Hope this helps. have a great cruise.

I found I do pretty good if I pack black and white as basics. Then I can add colors as needed. Now, this sounds impressive, doesn't it? Then why do I need so darn much luggage???? DH won't fly anymore, so we drive to the ship. He has been adamant about what he can heft, so I do have to try to be careful. We bring more, but smaller, cases.

A couple of people mentioned carry-on bags with wine and/or champagne but isn't it true that we can no longer take said "precious" items aboard an airplane? I am honestly interested to know since I will be flying from San Diego to Fort Lauderdale in January to board the ms Amsterdam and, believe me, I would love to take a bottle of wine with me to enjoy in the privacy of my own cabin.

Valerie:)

Thanks for all the hints. It's helping me, but I'm not sure about my DW. DW packing now and I can't lift it. She is taking 1/2 the closet and things are a little tense in the house right now as we are leaving for FLL in the AM. Kids are packed, I'm waiting until she is out of the room and done. Oy vay!

I have a TravelPro Crew 5 collection set of bags. Excellent rolling bags ... well worth their cost. Here's what I bring on cruises:

1 50-inch Rolling Garment Bag for Formal wear, shoes, and other items that need to be on hangers:

garmentbag.jpg

1 Upright Rolling bag (medium 22-incher for 7-10 day cruises, or a large 26-incher for 14+ day cruises) for all other clothing and items. The 26 and 22 inchers both look almost alike, except for size.

upright24.jpg

1 18-inch rolling carryon for cameras, laptop, iPod, books, etc.

rollingcarryon.jpg

My packing list:

For a 10-13 day Cruise:

Formal and Informal (packed in rolling garment bag)

Tuxedo

Tux Shirt

Ties, cummerbund, shirt studs, cufflinks, formal vest

dress socks

undershirts and underwear

Dark Grey business suit

black clergy shirt, neckband collar, clerical vest

Informals (to be worn on the plane)

Black Sport Coat

Shirt (1 blue button down, with optional tie, or clergy shirt)

Black dress shoes

Grey Slacks and belt or kakis

Additional for Informal (packed in rolling garment bag)

1 pair of dress slacks

1 Black tab clergy shirt

Casual Evening Clothing (packed in rolling garment bag)

4 knit/silk/print shirts

2 pair of nice Dockers

Casual shoes

Daytime Wear for ship and shore (packed in rolling upright)

4 daytime polo shirts

2 t-shirts

1 pair day-time slacks (older dockers)

2 pair of shorts

2 swimsuits

Workout wear and walking shoes

white socks

Other Clothing and Related Items (packed in rolling upright)

shorts and undershirts

Handkerchiefs

Hanging Laundry bag

Shaving Kit (all bathroom articles and any liquids)

Sun tan lotion

Tums

Sinus/headache/other minor pain medicines

Stuff (packed in rolling upright or in carry-on)

iPod and on stage

Short, Multi-Plug Extension Cord

Prescriptions and motion medicines (Scopace)

Small Flashlight

Travel umbrella

Laptop

Digital camera(s) (still and video) and assorted accessories

Publications to give to ship's library

A couple of books to read

Travel documents

Money (travelers checks/credit cards/cash)

For a 7-day cruise I will bring a bit less -- less informal gear and less casual wear items. For a cruise of 14+ days, and especially for 21 days or longer, I will bring an additional suit, dress shirts, ties, etc.

This is impressive! Wow--I wish I had it down to a science like some of you.

We always overpack--especially my DH!!!! (Then HIS clothes start taking over closet and drawer space!!:mad:

If we fly, we stop and pick up champagne to take on ship for sailaway--just our tradition. If we sail close to hom, we take champagne on in a rolling bag.

WE've taken over 30 cruises -most within the last 20 years. We are in the process of packing now and will take 2 suitcases each [and be shipped early in January] and a regulation carry-on each........We will have plenty of clothes, necessities, and distractions[books/laptop]......BTW- we will be on the WORLD CRUISE for 105 days and be gone from home a total of 110 days. I can't even IMAGINE hauling 10 suitcases for a 1-week cruise! It gives me a backache just THINKING about that!

Anne

WE've taken over 30 cruises -most within the last 20 years. We are in the process of packing now and will take 2 suitcases each [and be shipped early in January] and a regulation carry-on each........We will have plenty of clothes, necessities, and distractions[books/laptop]......BTW- we will be on the WORLD CRUISE for 105 days and be gone from home a total of 110 days. I can't even IMAGINE hauling 10 suitcases for a 1-week cruise! It gives me a backache just THINKING about that!

Anne

I am now, officially, jealous. :D

A couple of people mentioned carry-on bags with wine and/or champagne but isn't it true that we can no longer take said "precious" items aboard an airplane? I am honestly interested to know since I will be flying from San Diego to Fort Lauderdale in January to board the ms Amsterdam and, believe me, I would love to take a bottle of wine with me to enjoy in the privacy of my own cabin.

Valerie:)

What did you end up finding out about the wine and liquor?

List time we went on a cruise we ended up taking 10 bags, 2 for each of us, which seemed excessive. How much does everyone typically pack for a 7 day cruise? Just curious.

one medium bag to check and a carry on for my computer.....for 10 to 12 days.

We bring two bags each (one 22 inch, one 24 inch) plus a small carry on each for the plane. We find that less is best and we hate to haul extra stuff around in airports. Plus, packing and unpacking can be time consuming with too much stuff. Who wants to spend vacation taking care of excess belongings? I coordinate outfits so that I build a wardrobe for dinner around two colors. Daytime clothes are easy and can be worn more than once or laundered if needed (although we try to avoid this). I've built up a cruise wardrobe of easy care, easily packed outfits that I keep ready to go. DH is also organized and believes in packing light. We've found that we usually wear everything we bring and don't really lack anything once we're onboard.

I fly jetblue and they have started charging if your bag weighs more than50 lbs. Last trip i took (it was my and my dd) we took 6 bags for 7 days. Yes, you read that right. 6 bags. 4 of which were carry on - but we checked them - 1 medium suitcase and 1 garment bag. Since we can't carry on liquids anymore and they weigh so much (shampoo, conditioner, sun tan lotion, lotion, nail polish (about 20 bottles and remover and so on.....) i had to divide them up in the checked "carry on" bags. We didn't bring a lot of clothes - but are skin was tan and soft and our nails always looked good!

For a 7-day cruise we take one large (maximum airline size) bag plus one carry-on each. Same as for a 10-day ... just packed a bit lighter.

We never do 7-day or 10-day cruises, only 14, 15 and up...but I could never get by with one bag. I typically have three and a fairly hefty carryon (I simply consider the extra bag fee to be a 'cost of crusing' and ante up on checkin at the airport without them even having to ask). I'm willing to *do* laundry if self-laundry facilities are on board, and I consider the on-board drycleaning an excellent value (50% savings over drycleaning locally for me!) but never, never again will I send out laundry on board....to the lady who asked about sending out linen garments (I can't find the thread again)....DO NOT DO THIS! They'll never, never be the same (certainly not the same size...I ended up giving them to various teeny-tiny crewmembers!)

My companion does get by with one fairly large suitcase. He covers formal, informal and casual nights with a black suit and a navy blazer/tan slacks combo. But I will say one thing here....he does it by re-wearing garments (doing only one washload of 'shorts and socks' mid-journey). I CANNOT do this....and I'd strongly suggest that if people do plan to re-wear evening attire or other garments, they really, really check the, um, cleanliness of said garments....even a dress shirt only worn for dinner and the evening more than once, or slacks worn several times, *can* be unpleasant for one's companions if it is not 'fresh'....and as we age, our sense of smell is often not as sharp as it once was. There were several folks among the interesting and lovely folks we met on our recent cruise who were a bit unpleasing to be nearby toward the end of the 15 days....and there is no polite way to say anything about it that I can come up with.

LZ

I did a lot of traveling the last few years I worked, and really did learn to pack light. For 7 to 14 days, we pack two 22" expandables, one garment bag, and two small carry-on's. We no longer drag along everything we could possibly need, and find we get by just fine - though I'm sure we would add a suitcase or two if we didn't need to fly to the ports. We do utilize HAL's laundry services and have been very pleased with that - quick service with no damage of any kind.

ONE important hint I picked up somewhere is to never pack in a "his and hers" manner. Share those suitcases - if the airline loses one, at least you don't end up with one person in a tux and the other in pajamas.

Donna

Archived