Good Housekeeping Magazine Article on Cruise Ship Doctors - SCARY!!

gooselover

My husband had a terrible sinus infection once on one of our cruises, visited the Doctor and got medicine to relieve the pain. It was reasonably priced and we really were glad there was a Dr. on board. However, I have heard many other stories that are really scary. Not just about the Doctor, but what happens if the ship feels they need to send you to the hospital.

I have attached a link to an article about my Mom who had a problem with her fiance on her trip to Europe on Princess this past Sept. An ambulance arrived, a man followed the ambulance to the hospital and 'posed' as a Doctor sent by their insurance company (he was bogus). Princess did not provide port agents name or anything. Here's my advice:

-Bring basic over the counter stuff for you and your family

-Take the insurance and get the best policy (Trip Access is one that comes to mind), especially if going to Europe

-Take the insurance!!

-Carry the insurance policy with you when you go on your trip

-Note the name of the port agent in each port (on your daily cruise newsletter usually) every day.

-Understand that cruise ships have so much protection because of where they are registered etc. and how the contract is written that you have very little recourse for lawsuits.

I still will be cruising in February...but we have great insurance!

Here's the article about my Mom. I also posted info about my mom (back in Sept) on CC when she was calling me from Turkey during this debacle.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006312170001

I had to visit the medical facility last week on the Explorer of the Seas. I had a great doctor from Sweden and the place is state of the art. He ran a strep throat culture in less than 10 minutes. Now for those of you who don't realize how big a deal this is, as I get this a few times every so often who knows why...the air they say...I can often go a week before getting results confirming the suspicions as the doctor calls it but I am going to treat you as if you do have it to be on the safe side results. Given improper meds is worse than no treatment at all. I didn't get rid of the ailment as the dosage wasn't long enough but it was enough till I was able to do followup with my doc and he couldnt believe how fast they got results. Also his license was up on his wall too. I don't agree with the story but someone is always going to have a bad experience whether on a ship, plane or land and sue seems to be the way to fix their problems. Some of the storylines just don't add up. I just know from experience that there are great doctors on the explorer and they are there for seeing the world for a short period of time.

True, but have you ever heard of five person CPR, where it takes four people to restrained a patient while one actually attempts to do CPR. I have personally witnessed this more than once. This is why there are set protocols and guide lines in place. Now, if people would actually follow them we probably would not be talking about it on this thread. Unfortunately, not everyone has a clue or can keep it together under stress.

Guidelines and protocols are fine. There is a lot to be said for knowledge, experience, and common sense, too. And as for not keeping it together under stress, you know the old saying.... if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen.

• 1 month later...

Wow, this topic sure hit a nerve. I wouldn't hestitate to use the medical facilities if necessary. What I found amazing are posters who equate money with happiness. The old line about knowing the cost of everything and the value of nothing comes to mind.

Money can protect you from things that can make you unhappy. But it can't buy happiness, contentment or even class.

True, but have you ever heard of five person CPR, where it takes four people to restrained a patient while one actually attempts to do CPR. I have personally witnessed this more than once. This is why there are set protocols and guide lines in place. Now, if people would actually follow them we probably would not be talking about it on this thread. Unfortunately, not everyone has a clue or can keep it together under stress.

Whoa. This makes no sense! The need for CPR arises when a person is either not breathing or has no pulse (or is in a fatal arrythmia which has the same result as no pulse). So you've seen people who are not breathing or have no pulse displaying the strength required to hold off four or five people and you've seen this MORE THAN ONCE?! If someone is moving and displaying that kind of strength, I kind of wonder if they need CPR.:confused:

From the Parasol EMT Pty Ltd. Website:

Indications for CPR

Unconscious (unresponsive)

Not moving

No normal breathing, although there may be brief irregular, 'gasping' breaths

No pulse

Archived