Explorer - Night Club/Dance Question

Our neice and her husband (both late 30s) have decided to join us on Explorer of the Seas next Christmas, it will be their first cruise ever and, they are very much night owls. They would like to know what type of music is played in the Night Club and if they have an "80s" night or something similar? The other question is what time does the night club really start to get going when people actually dance?

Thanks!

on the Explorer in June, in the Maharajah Lounge one night they did 50s/60s for an hour or so, followed by 70s/80s for an hour or so

We (in our late 40s) were looking for ballroom or latin music most of the time, so I can't tell you much else about the nightclub scene. The Chamber had prerecorded latin for a while almost every night, so we went there often, but left before it rolled over into whatever music they played with the live DJ (which, from the sounds we heard when passing by later, was more contemporary than we cared for.

I was on the 3 Dec-10 Dec cruise and the DJ tended to lean towards the older crowd in the early stages (70's Disco) and then did a 180 after 11pm to the current pop/rap that is currently heard on the tween's radio stations.

As far as the one 80's night-DH and I are 32 and prefer alternative music (ala the Manchester scene) which was in abundance in the 80's. We were thrilled when we heard the DJ spinning the requested New Order track but then slumped back in our chairs after he followed with what we call "Bad 80's Music" (Cyndi Lauper, Pat Benatar, the Electric Slide).

So it really depends on your neice's taste in music. Hope that helped!:D

If you're asking specifically about the dance club with the DJ, on each of my RCI cruises it begins to reach it's optimum point of action between midnight-1am. Usually midnight lots of people would arrive and by 1am people would be a little more, ehh, "happy," and start dancing.:p

I seem to recall it being open til 3 on the ships I was on (not Explorer specifically), someone correct me if I'm wrong...

We sailed the Explorer in October. The Chamber (Disco) was awesome. We had so much fun. We were 2 families, all four parents in their early 40's. They began the night with some older disco...some 70's and 80's. As the night progressed the music got younger as did the crowd. We had to pick up our kids at Adventure Ocean...so we never did stay until 3am...like the younger crowd did.

Great time....look for the Village People night....The pictures are worth a million bucks!!!;)

My problem with the Chamber is that as the night progressed it just got plain too LOUD in there. I don't know why some of these places have to play music like everyone is hearing impaired. The same thing happened on Serenade in the disco up in the Viking Crown. I walked in and had to walk right out. I'm not hearing impaired and plan to do my best to keep it that way. It was so loud that you couldn't even talk to the people that you were with.

I'd say to tell them to definitely take their time getting ready in between shows/dinner and going out because last year while on the Explorer if we headed to the Chamber too early we'd end up walking right into country hour! And SLOW country music at that! If that's their thing then fantastic, but I think alot of people will peek in, see that nothing is going on, and then go somewhere else. As previous posters said, wait until at least 11pm. I'm sure there's an 80's hour/night at some point during the cruise.

Laura

Archived