Norovirus on Infinity

cruzin4us

i am waiting to board infinity, and they will not tell us why we are having a delay in boarding, but we just watched a slew of guys coming off the ship with masks and protective clothing. They all smelled like bleach, and now we are hearing rumors of norovirus....oh joy

When we got to the terminal around a 11 today, they were shuttling everyone to the Sheridan. They would´t say why, but the few of us that chose to stay now know why...

not a good way to start our vacation. :(

Sorry to hear about the delay and possible Noro......

Unfortunately, It running rampid across the States now. I'm sure there has to be pax who though they were either over it or had just become contagious on every ship in every fleet right now.

I've been through it...not caught it. Not the best of times on a ship, but we still had a good time overall.

Make sure you wash your hands with hot soapy water at every chance. Don't touch your eyes, or nose. Avoid touching railings and buttons as much as possible. Use the hand sanitizers.....and If you do get sick, please stay confined for at least 48 hours ( not fun ) but its the poeple that seem to feel 'better' that are still contagious that do the most harm in spreading the virus.

Best wishes to you.

Stay healthy!!!

Dave:eek:

i am waiting to board infinity, and they will not tell us why we are having a delay in boarding, but we just watched a slew of guys coming off the ship with masks and protective clothing. They all smelled like bleach, and now we are hearing rumors of norovirus....oh joy

When we got to the terminal around a 11 today, they were shuttling everyone to the Sheridan. They would´t say why, but the few of us that chose to stay now know why...

not a good way to start our vacation. :(

cruzin4us,

Thanks for taking the time to report what is happening with the Infinity. The reluctance of Celebrity to just tell passengers what is going on is still hard to understand. I certainly hope this does not mean what most of us think this means. The norovirus issue does seem to be getting worse and not better. Hope all goes well and it sounds like a fantastic itinerary that you have planned.

Please keep us posted on how the cruise is going.

It's too soon for Carnival, so Infinity should be heading Around the Horn to Valpo again.

Since it's the last sailin in December, you probably can't see the itinerary any longer. There are other ship departures coming up, so maybe you can see those at the X site.

Cabo

Sorry to hear about the delay and possible Noro......

Unfortunately, It running rampid across the States now. I'm sure there has to be pax who though they were either over it or had just become contagious on every ship in every fleet right now.

Dave:eek:

Dave, With all due respect I would have to question: "Noro is running ramped across the States now" and and I would also question "On every ship in every fleet right now". I don't know who told you that, but it was not reported in my newspaper today nor was anything mentioned on the news about this "ramped Noro" problem. My opinion is that the crew spreads this disease, just as much as the passengers. The food that you eat while on board, any ship, coming from the kitchen could also be a source of Noro.

Wishing for the best for those on board.

Brandy

Dave, With all due respect I would have to question: "Noro is running ramped across the States now" and and I would also question "On every ship in every fleet right now". I don't know who told you that, but it was not reported in my newspaper today nor was anything mentioned on the news about this "ramped Noro" problem. My opinion is that the crew spreads this disease, just as much as the passengers. The food that you eat while on board, any ship, coming from the kitchen could also be a source of Noro.

Wishing for the best for those on board.

Brandy

Too small an issue for the papers. If I hadn't been checking CC, I wouild not have known about the priblem with Infinity.

My son toldme they closed a school outside of Phila for the virus last week.

My son toldme they closed a school outside of Phila for the virus last week.

there has a been a big problem on land in PA with Noro my friend caught it at a resort in the Pocanos for her honeymoon! nothing worse than wasting your last day of your honeymoon in the hospital being sick. Her husband then caught it. I guess they say the first year is the hardest. They sure kicked it off with a bang!

there have also been a few reports in universities around the country they oringially thought was ecoli but tests confirmed noro, i cant remember the school but it was on the news last night

In Indianapolis last week, over 300 customers came down with vomiting, diarrhea and fever who ate a local Olive Garden. It was not the food. The CDC has found one employee, who came to work with these symtpoms. It sure sounds like the norovirus. This is not air borne spread. Wash your hands frequently and don't put your hands to your mouth after touching railings, etc. This is the season for all sorts of viruses being passed around. People will not cancel their vacations if they feel like they have a virus. You are in a small area on a ship with lots of other people some of whom might be ill. Report any employees you see in the restrooms not washing their hands.

Noro is a very common virus on land and sea. The big difference it that the cruise lines are requirend to report the outbreaks (a CDC regulation) and they also must positively identify the type of outbreak,,,hence all the reports of Noro on ships. On land, there are generally little or no investigations or reporting requirements. You can read about schools being closed, and other local problems and the papers will usually call it "intestinal flu." Most of these attacks are probably norovirus, but its generally not seem as a big deal and often not even mentioned in local papers. My wife taught school for over 30 years, and it was not uncommon to have 30% absentee rates due to various outbreaks,, but of course nobody thought enough to ever test for the real cause. The last time I checked, the schools do not compensate the students for getting sick.

Hank

Noro is a very common virus on land and sea. The big difference it that the cruise lines are requirend to report the outbreaks (a CDC regulation) and they also must positively identify the type of outbreak,,,hence all the reports of Noro on ships. On land, there are generally little or no investigations or reporting requirements. You can read about schools being closed, and other local problems and the papers will usually call it "intestinal flu." Most of these attacks are probably norovirus, but its generally not seem as a big deal and often not even mentioned in local papers. My wife taught school for over 30 years, and it was not uncommon to have 30% absentee rates due to various outbreaks,, but of course nobody thought enough to ever test for the real cause. The last time I checked, the schools do not compensate the students for getting sick.

Hank

I would be willing to bet that most if not all cases did not originate on the ship but with people who were sick and were too selfish to cancel their cruise thus infecting others.

I would also say that the Noro virus is NOT running ramped across the US. in comparison to some cruise lines. Although in reading the very high rate in the number of cases reported by all cruise lines, on another thread, Celebrity and RCCL do seem to have an awfully high percentage of the cases.

I think it's getting a bit nuts with this virus -- it's the stomach flu for heaven's sake. Our local paper this week had big headlines -- 2 cases of norovirus in the county! You'd think it was the plague. It's flu season -- I'd expect more cases during flu season, everywhere. As a poster mentioned up-thread, you could have a third of the kids out of school with the stomach flu in my day, and there would be no mention in the papers.

I've read that you can be contagious for 14 days after the cessation of symptoms, so I am sure there are plenty of folks who think they are well and then travel, and since confinement to your cabin is only for 48 hrs -- the sick are running around spreading the stuff for the duration of the trip.

I would also say that the Noro virus is NOT running ramped across the US. in comparison to some cruise lines. Although in reading the very high rate in the number of cases reported by all cruise lines, on another thread, Celebrity and RCCL do seem to have an awfully high percentage of the cases.

Not true if you accurately, check the figures and the sickness levels on land.

Norovirus is very common on land, in fact, that is why its such a problem on cruise ships. When 3000 passengers (plus another 1000 crew) go from land to ship, the odds are good that a few of them will already be infected and start the spread of the virus. The difference is that crusie ships are required (by law) to report the infections, and they also test in labs to determine the exact cause of illness...which is how they can be 100% sure its Norovirus. On land, there is generally no mandatory reporting and often nobody even pays attention. We do live in PA and did have a school close last week because of a large outbreak of what was simply reported as "intestinal flu." It was probably Noro, but nobody really cares and nobody checks. The children go home for the weekend and than its business as usual. But on a cruise ship, the CDC requires a report, and than the press does their usual thing of pointing the finger at the cruise ship. We can only guess as to how many catch this bug on airlines, but how would you know?

Hank

The point here is that Celebrity/RCCL seems to have a lot more outbreaks than anybody else. The second is that being trapped in a confined area like a cruise ship that is drenched in bleach is just not my idea of an acceptable solution to a problem. Other cruise lines use different chemicals that are not as toxic as bleach. I know that, as one poster mentioned, that bleach is cheap and readily available, but there are other less toxic chemicals that can be used. No doubt these chemicals are more expensive, but as a passenger I would be glad to pay the difference. Just MHO

Brandy

Instead of 'guessing' and stating 'opinions', please read the informative Announcement posted by LauraS above under Announcements and be sure to click on the 5 Myths link. There are currently multiple threads about Norovirus, ships with Noro, and medications - the Announcement provides factual answers to many of the questions raised and may alleviate some of the concern and anxiety. Good job, Laura.

You are simply wrong; Norovirus is very common this time of the year and as the article here on the Boards mentioned you are very much more at risk in your local community than you are on the ship.

And, the best protection is still a little common sense and a lot of good hand hygiene......

For those who think it is not running rampant on land....hate to burst your bubble but...

Catholic University in D.C. is making the news for huge percentages of students having Norovirus

Several public schools in this area are reporting very high rates of stomach bugs

The thing to remember is that the norovirus is a generic term for all the different stomach bugs that are out there....therefore think about it simply. Kids go to school...one kid shares crayons or pencils or scissors or something with another student...they go to lunch (but dont wash their hands before eating) ...eat lunch and their hands go to their mouth. Two days later they are feeling perfectly healthy, walk onto the cruise ship and infect others before they even realize they are sick. Welcome to the lovely stomach bug :) Happy Winter Everyone!

For those who think it is not running rampant on land....hate to burst your bubble but...

Thank you for correctly spelling "rampant" - it was starting to bother me, but it's against the rules to post spelling corrections :)

received this report yesterday from one person and have not heard anything since. The usual persons jumped all over Celebrity but we have no confirmation that there is any norovirus on board or in significent numbers. Would like to hear from the OP and find out what is going on at this time...I have seen no news reports on this outbreak..

received this report yesterday from one person and have not heard anything since. The usual persons jumped all over Celebrity but we have no confirmation that there is any norovirus on board or in significent numbers. Would like to hear from the OP and find out what is going on at this time...I have seen no news reports on this outbreak..

We just got home from the cruise. it was great. Some engine or motor problems and some minor sickness on Board. No major illness problems . Two people at our table were sick and they said that they received excellent treatment by the medical staff. the ship reacted very quickly to warn people aboutwashing their hands ,serving food to everyone at the buffets,etc.

Archived