denali back country or Kantishna all day tour

dkoitz

There looks to be an all day tour to Kantishna and in the same general location to Denali Back County. Is one better than the other? Seems to have the same activities, panning for gold, guided walks,etc. How long are you actually there for?

Though I have heard of these tours, I am not familiar with the specifics of either one. Besides the panning for gold and probably lunch, you are pretty much on the same road as the shuttle busses. My guess is that they charge you a lot more for their service than if you just took a shuttle bus and did the hiking on your own. There is a nice hiking trail near the Wonder Lake campground (McKinley Bar Trail - the only formal trail inside the park). Very easy hike but nice. Maybe 2 hours round trip. You come back the same way you hiked in.

If it were me, I would probably opt for the independent shuttle bus but if the guided aspect appeals to you, I am sure they are good tours.

Note that if you want to get to Kantishna rather than Wonder Lake, you will need to reserve a camper bus. The shuttle busses only go as far as Wonder Lake. Some camper busses go to Kantishna. Not much in Kantishna except a couple of lodges and very small remnants of the gold rush era (a restored cabin for example). Perhaps you could take a shuttle bus as far as Wonder Lake then transfer to a camper bus for no extra charge to Kantishna but I am not positive about that.

John

In my opinion, these used to be the best tours in the park because they used vans instead of buses. I would check and if either of the tours use a van, go for it. You don't get to spend much time in Kantishna, but it is a really neat place (although I had a bear ransack my tent there one time).

I went on the Denali Backcountry Adventure ( http://www.denali-cabins.com/onedayadventure.html ) in 2005, and have mixed feelings about it. They now use basically the same buses as the NPS shuttle, and pack them full (55 people?). It was interesting to finally get to Kantishna, but there's no town to visit as the Web site hints. We also didn't get to "Photograph Wonder Lake" except driving by at a distance. Our driver/guide was the worst I've had in 15 or so trips in by shuttle and Tundra Wilderness Tour - he knew absolutely nothing about Denali or even about Alaska. BUT, the lunch at the lodge was superb, and the forest nature tour was very good (though there were too many people on it so half the people couldn't hear the guide). We spent 2 hours at Kantishna. Would I do it again? Probably not, but they're right that it is better dollar value than the Tundra Wilderness Tour.

Murray

I do not recommend the lodge Kantishna day trips. Essentially all you are getting is an overpriced lunch, you have no time for the extensive activities that are available unless you are an overnight guest.

There is a shuttle bus to Kantishn- leaves once per day at 8:15am, but all the property is private and you generally just get off the bus for a short time and reboard and return, Wonder Lake offers much more, for a fraction of the Kantishna tour buses.

Done both the daytime Kantishna trip and overnight. The day trip was pretty darn good, IMHO. If you want to spend a little bit more money AND the day is clear, take the Kantishna shuttle bus (per BQ post), then contact Kantishna Air, http://www.katair.com/, and fly back. ABSOLUTELY SPECTACULAR.

Actually, I had more fun on the day trip than on the overnight. The overnight was pretty darn boring. I don't hike much, so there is little to do. And I have a farm in the middle of nowhere, so seclusion was not a bonus. The food is great at Kantishna Roadhouse.

I would like to go back and stay at Skyline Lodge-owned by Kantishna Air. More to do than at Kantishna Roadhouse and a heck of a lot cheaper.

Archived